Le grand chien 3.0
  • Dreamcast
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    I mean, we can already see it's up against the SNES next, so it hardly matters.

It was software making the brackets
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Couple more days but I think seaman is winning. Fucking shame. I'd vote the other side.
  • Saturn. Dreamcast was a riot but Saturn pips it. VFII, Rally, Cop, Exhumed, Nights, Panzers Zwei and Saga, Guardian Heroes, Tomb Raider, SF Alphas.
  • I’m voting for the inferior Saturn to give the SNES an easier match and keep it fresh for the final.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    The Saturn itself was a good machine. It's complexity didn't help matters. It's use of polygons instead of triangles for 3D , and the absence of code libraries for developers is what made ports look so shit. The real damage was that its marketing was a travesty. It was as much out of kilter with the times as the Dreamcast was. I actually blame Sega's failure on its idiotic Frankensteining of the Megadrive with all those add-ons. Abandoning those damaged their reputation as a company who would support its hardware.
    I've mentioned this before, but I remember how bad the UK launch of the Saturn was from my days working in EB, even by the standards of the time, before launch days were such a big deal. Obviously it came not long after the 32X, which had failed and just confused matters. Then they decided to launch in July, only to change the date and bring it forward by a few weeks at short notice int June. There was virtually no publicity not even about the date change, we had no posters etc in store and no demo units. They also decided to charge £400 for it with no games. And only had 4 games at launch. We took 3 preorders and got 4 units in total. It then turned out there was no RF cable in the box, back in those days when a lot of people still used RF connections, and the separate cable cost £25. But we only had 1 delivered anyway. By the time the PS1 came out at the end of September, we'd sold maybe a few more. Sony sent a demo unit and loads of POS stuff and had that huge advertising campaign. And charged £300 for it. Even back then in our small shop we took 30 preorders. The Saturn was already dead.

It was still quite precarious for Sony, because by that time, Sega had an amazing rep with the arcades, and anything which offered better arcade conversions was going to generate hype back then*.

Ridge Racer was the nail in the coffin.

With that Ridge Racer conversion, Sony basically destroyed both Sega's console and arcade market.

*Like old men, we talk... :'[
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Dreamcast all the way. Powerstone, crazy taxi, jet set radio, metropolis Street racer...

It's the best.
  • Lol at thinking the SNES winning is a foregone conclusion

DC 4 LIFE BREHS
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    SNES U
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Lol at thinking the SNES winning is a foregone conclusion DC 4 LIFE BREHS

SNES will win followed by Switch because Nintendo fans are relentless, and they've been stuck at opposite ends of the pool. Sony will lose because being better at attracting lots of studios and releasing a fantastic mix of art-house games and blockbusters was the type of cheating that killed Sega.
  • The one console that should win won’t
    Spoiler:
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Lol at thinking the SNES winning is a foregone conclusion DC 4 LIFE BREHS

SNES will win followed by Switch because Nintendo fans are relentless, and they've been stuck at opposite ends of the pool. Sony will lose because being better at attracting lots of studios and releasing a fantastic mix of art-house games and blockbusters was the type of cheating that killed Sega.

My pary
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    That’s a tough first choice. I loved my Saturn, but have to say that Dreamcast, for me, was SEGA at their pinnacle. So yep, Dreamcast it is.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Lol at thinking the SNES winning is a foregone conclusion

DC 4 LIFE BREHS

PS1 all the way.
  • The one console that should win won’t
    Spoiler:
  • JonB wrote:
    The Saturn itself was a good machine. It's complexity didn't help matters. It's use of polygons instead of triangles for 3D , and the absence of code libraries for developers is what made ports look so shit. The real damage was that its marketing was a travesty. It was as much out of kilter with the times as the Dreamcast was. I actually blame Sega's failure on its idiotic Frankensteining of the Megadrive with all those add-ons. Abandoning those damaged their reputation as a company who would support its hardware.
    I've mentioned this before, but I remember how bad the UK launch of the Saturn was from my days working in EB, even by the standards of the time, before launch days were such a big deal. Obviously it came not long after the 32X, which had failed and just confused matters. Then they decided to launch in July, only to change the date and bring it forward by a few weeks at short notice int June. There was virtually no publicity not even about the date change, we had no posters etc in store and no demo units. They also decided to charge £400 for it with no games. And only had 4 games at launch. We took 3 preorders and got 4 units in total. It then turned out there was no RF cable in the box, back in those days when a lot of people still used RF connections, and the separate cable cost £25. But we only had 1 delivered anyway. By the time the PS1 came out at the end of September, we'd sold maybe a few more. Sony sent a demo unit and loads of POS stuff and had that huge advertising campaign. And charged £300 for it. Even back then in our small shop we took 30 preorders. The Saturn was already dead.
    It was still quite precarious for Sony, because by that time, Sega had an amazing rep with the arcades, and anything which offered better arcade conversions was going to generate hype back then*. Ridge Racer was the nail in the coffin. With that Ridge Racer conversion, Sony basically destroyed both Sega's console and arcade market. *Like old men, we talk... :'[
    That was the other thing I forgot to mention - the flagship game, Daytona, having the worst Pal version I've ever seen. Those borders...
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    @Reg - Also mad disappointing leaving out home computers from this tourney. The Amiga would surely make a top 8.
  • Where is N64? N64 is my fave console. Followed by Xbox 360

This week: Dreamcast
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    @Reg - Also mad disappointing leaving out home computers from this tourney. The Amiga would surely make a top 8.
    So should I also put in my pentium 3 with a 3dfx because it was the best for playing quake 3?

I'm afraid I had to cap it at consoles.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Dreamcast had Quake III over dial up and was awesome because t'was in the bloody lounge. House of the Dead with fucking light guns. Top that Saturn boys.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I actually bought the Dreamcast keyboard and mouse before realising how shit I was at it.
  • Well I like this Reg. Anything that gets me reminiscing of the good old days is a good thing.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    b0r1s wrote:
    I actually bought the Dreamcast keyboard and mouse before realising how shit I was at it.

I own two keyboards and two mice. Split screen Quake 3 with metascrawl was a formative experience for me.

Although I’m not bothering to vote for Dreamcast as this is such a foregone conclusion as to make it pointless. You might as well be asking us to choose between herpes and free money.
  • House of the Dead with fucking light guns. Top that Saturn boys.

I forgot about House of the Dead with light guns. That was brilliant. And ridiculous. But brilliant.

So was Typing of the Dead!
  • I loved the Saturn, it had some amazing exclusives and also my favourite game (NiGHTS Into Dreams), and I’m also fortunate to own a Japanese console too, with opens up the most wonderful games library.

However, the Dreamcast is my favourite console. It looked so much better than anything else around at the time, and through VGA, still looks good today.

The games were Sega at their inventive and imaginative best, and I will never forget the evenings spent with mates playing Sega Bass Fishing, Samba de Amigo, Soul Calibur, VT and Ready 2 Rumble. Some of my happiest gaming experiences.

A vote for Dreamcast please Reg.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Djornson wrote:
    Where is N64? N64 is my fave console. Followed by Xbox 360 This week: Dreamcast

Actually just clicked the link again. Has the lack of N64 been discussed? Have I fallen into an alternative dimension where the console with some of the most highly rated games of all time just doesn’t exist?
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    But the Wii, waggle waggle balance board is in the list, wtf?

Edit - top notch trolling up in this mofo.
  • No Gamecube. What a shambles.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!