Sega Mega-Drive Mini: Remember when you promised to buy Sega's next console if they made one?
‹ Previous12345
  • I got my hands on a Mega-Drive Mini last night, in fact I was the second person someone else swung by my local shop just past midnight to claim victory.

Is anyone here planning to pick one up?

0Iq8NU2.jpg

I have the Jap version naturally enough, comes with 2 6-button control pads, slightly smaller than I remember but that might be because my 6-buttoners were infra red wireless pads back in the day.

There's 42 games, many if the classics though some notable omissions and some rarities.

No Altered Beast or Sonic 1 for me, though I do get Treasure's 4 player Yu Yu Hakusho fighting game.

2HvoU6Q.jpg

Changing the language setting changes the menus and box art from Jap to Us to Pal, though on my version unfortunately English = US So Ineed to go to French for Pal. Je ne suis Sonic pas.

15Uy8GW.jpg

It also changes the actual rom version.
    So let's say your playing the insane Pal Dynamite Headdy, try switching to Nihongo for an easier time.

RgAPYTZ.jpg

The emulation so far is solid, I haven't noticed anything too off. The music is good too. I haven't heard Streetsof Rage yet but I've read it's spectacular.

I've read about a sound delay but it's nothing I've noticed. I won't actively go looking for these things of course.

SUlktD5.jpg

There's even the Sega tower of power available for it.
    A Mega-CD, 32-X, Sonic and Knuckles cartridge, and various game cartridges.

In Japan they will be available to buy as well as having some games in gatchas.

megatower.original.jpg

So anyone planning to buy a Sega Mega-Drive when it launches in EU on Oct. 4th?

Wind Waker is a bad game
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I love the full stack, but no. I’ve already got all of these games and more on a Raspberry Pi.
  • Mayber
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I've got no need for one as I'm also Retro Pi'd up, but if it's easily hackable I expect I'll fold.
  • Any news on adding your own ROMs to it, btw?
  • Tempted.
    Looks classy too.
  • I'm getting one for my birthday. The way the menus and roms change between regions is cool.

Wish it was the MD 2 though as that's the one I had.
  • The tower of power wouldn't work as well with the model2 though.
    Still, this looks very cool.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • I've put it on my chrimbo list.. not that I'll get much time to play it. Should probably just buy the Mega Drive compilation for Switch.
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • I would have done if I hadn't already spent £30 buying the Sega collection on Switch that has many of these games...

x
  • I too already own most if not all the games on Steam. The MD case is tempting though.
  • This is a better collection than last year's classics compilation, but not enough to make it worthwhile. It does look nice though.
  • After setting up a Pi years ago and actually using it, I folded when the PS Classic was £20 a couple of months back.

Since the I've picked up a NES and SNES mini and have this and the PC Engine one on preorder.

Yeah... I'm an idiot.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I have it on pre-order with the tower of power.

And the three PC Engines.
  • I wish there was a definitive one. They all have something that I want from the other two.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    What’s the nice surprise for people who don’t want to watch that whole video?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Feel free to put in spoilers just in case.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Oh you fscker, was gonna say "cute, call me back the mega-cd comes out", but it already did

Stick games on these bad boys and I'm totally in

maxresdefault.jpg
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    What’s the nice surprise for people who don’t want to watch that whole video?
    Spoiler:
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    That is quite nice.
  • I will hopefully be getting one for my birthday.

I’m disappointed that the PAL version only includes 3 button pads when two games require the 6 button variant though.

Reviews for the Mini have been good, and I love the attention to detail Sega have put in. Oh, and I’d love a Tower of Power too.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Do you mean the games are better with 6-button as opposed to require it? Cos no game should require a controller that didn’t come bundled with the hardware.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Do you mean the games are better with 6-button as opposed to require it? Cos no game should require a controller that didn’t come bundled with the hardware.

Sorry, yes they’re better with 6 button pads.

Street Fighter 2 requires you to press the ‘start’ button to switch between kicks and punches.

My frustration is that the 6 button pads exist, but Europe and the US have to buy them separately.

• That’s dumb. Including the 3-button when 6 covers both worlds is a shocking decision.
  • They’ve signed a deal with a 3rd party manufacturer, who’s releasing 6 button pads in the West.

I’ve called Sega out on their Twitter about it.

Such a shame, as everything else about the Mini seems superb.

I will still get one, obviously.
  • Do you mean the games are better with 6-button as opposed to require it? Cos no game should require a controller that didn’t come bundled with the hardware.
    Sorry, yes they’re better with 6 button pads. Street Fighter 2 requires you to press the ‘start’ button to switch between kicks and punches. My frustration is that the 6 button pads exist, but Europe and the US have to buy them separately.

Also, that og 6button md pad was superb for sf2. As a fight pad it works much better than the snes 6-button l/r config. Excellent quality dpad and buttons too. Why they didn't go for the 6button pad as pack in is beyond stupid.
  • Yeah, I’d agree. I still have my MD and two 6 button pads, and they’re excellent.
  • It's a tricky one though. The three button pad is far more iconic. I get the grievance, certainly from a playability pov, but I think I'd choose the design they went for myself (with the 6 button pad as an option, as it was back then).
  • Moot this is the first time I'm ever going to call you out.

Don't include any 6 button games then, it's a shisters move and I don't condone it. They seem to have nailed everything else so it's a real shame that they have done this especially if they have signed a deal with a 3rd party for the 6 button Pad.

I'm going Jpn as I owned the PAL Asian model but will no doubt pay a premium.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Ha it's a fair cop, I think I made the same point when it was announced (calling for a 6 button pad). These things are designed in part to appeal to lapsed gamers though, and the three button layout has nostalgia clout the 6 button lacks imo. Including games that benefit from a non bundled pad is a strange move, but SF2 didn't come with the new pad in 1993 unless you stumped up the extra for it...

It would've been a tough decision to make and I'm not surprised they followed the money.
‹ Previous12345

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!