Northgard - strictly no pillaging, this is a Viking strategy game.

• Picked this up over the weekend and not sure what to make of it.  It's certainly not what I thought it was going to be, a reskinned Age of Empires for the Switch.  Has more in common with Settlers if anything, as you can't directly control any of your units. Instead you build little Viking huts, halls, farms and mining structures and assign your people to them, as they plop out of your town centre.  I'll stick with it, because it offers some interesting new spins on the strategy field. Not least the elimination of the Zerg Rush.

Adjacent areas have to be colonised first ('bought' with your ever dwindling food supplies) before you can build structures on them. And troops can't be pumped out of buildings, you're limited to small warbands (plus a hero unit) who can be sent across the land, but only if your scouts have first explored the surrounding areas. But you don't have direct control over them either.

What saves it is the addition of seasons, something I've rarely seen, but always wanted, in a strategy game. During the Summer months the land is lush and green and your food supplies rocket. Then Winter descends, blizzards cover the land, your little Vikings start consuming more firewood and mead and suddenly your settlements start complaining. And everyone knows an unhappy Viking is an unproductive Viking.

Just plodding through the story campaign at the moment, having decided to trade with a neighbouring band of Kobolds rather than wipe them out (for now).  Have located an enemy hold, so going to build up my warband until its large enough to take 'em on.

Out on all consoles (first released on PC over a year ago)
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • It has been something i’ve kept my eye on. Seasons with an impact on resource and battle have been in every historic Total War game since the first Shogun Total War though.
  • Yeah, I gave it a bash a while back. Wasn't quite there for me.

Kinda cool, but not immediate enough to grab me.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Is this a fairly sedate affair, with a focus more on building than fighting?  I’d be up for that.
    Get schwifty.
  • Yeah, it has sorta sim city elements to it. Biggest threats to your settlements being rat infestations, earthquakes or a harsh winter. There is no AI battering on your door with an army of units suddenly threatening your territory. 

The only other constant threats are the wolves, bears and assorted wildlife that control the areas you haven't colonised yet.  Mind you, I am only early in the campaign, so no idea how aggressive the rival tribes are.  This certainly doesn't appear to be a frantic RTS where you have to execute a strict build order to survive in order to spew out units faster than the other guy.   It needs to be stressed, because none of the reviews did, this is not a RTS at all, it is more of a god sim / settlement builder.

Oh, and Raiziel, it's got Draughr in it. Little Draughr men wandering the map for you to pick a fight with  Like a miniature Skyrim!  You'll love it.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Looks ok but 35 quid is a bit pricey for me at the moment for something I'd probably not get much time for.
  • (free on gamepass, I'm pretty sure.)
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Switch is about the only gaming I get near these days.
  • Oh, not pc?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Not these days, sprog won't let me. Too tired by the time I get him down for the night.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    Had a look on gamepass, Bad North is there but no Northgard. Shame, it sounds pretty good.
  • Oops. Sorry. Failing at game names. Those two always get me.
  • (ah, I got it some other way, have it on steam.)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!