Are you a “genwunner” for anything?
‹ Previous12
  • A “genwunner” is a pejorative term for fans of Pokemon that really only care for the first game (gen one) in the series.
    I found myself in this mindset because I was at a marina nee diamonds concert tonight and realised outside of album 1 (family jewels) I have not connected with anything to the same level since.

I wonder is this just natural to anyone who experiences anything in a series as the latter entries are inevitably going to have some level of nostalgia chasing rather than. Being the purest hit. Additionally sequels have the diminishing effect of not being surprising and only the millstone Of expectation ( like the difference between despicable mes 1 and 2)

Anything that bucks hypothesis for you (ie the later the better?)?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Radiohead. That’s probably about it TBH.
  • Monkey Target but that is objectively correct that the first version is the only acceptable one.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • The man's not wrong.
  • The title question and final question are opposites. It started informatively but became confused, much like Dylan.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I give everything a chance unless it looks shit.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Crayon, we've found another person who loves Marina & The Diamonds! Family Jewels is exceptional, fortunately there are gems on her other albums, Electra Heart's 'Living Dead 'around this time of year always raises the spirits.

Depeche Mode's albums peaked later. Songs of Faith and Devotion was their eighth, and to me the best.

On the headphones now - Album version of 'In Your Room' and 'One Caress' probably the zenith.

retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Pokemon I have only really liked Gen 1 and 2.
    To like Gen 1 and not 2 seems almost contrived, they are too similar to genuinely dislike gen 2.

THPS 1-4 are worldies but went to shit after but that is down to misguided design changes.

Kojima disappeared up his own arse.

I dunno, most games series that go to shit are normally studio takeovers.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    The man's not big,
    nick_md wrote:
    The man's not wrong.

Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Transformers
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Robots in disguise
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Transformers
  • More than meets the eye.

Family Jewels is the one with Mowgli's Road, innit? I like it, but there's a couple tracks I'm not fond of (the in-character diva stuff mainly). But they arent bad songs, just not to my liking.

I would also say Orbital are the opposite. As good as their early albums are, they kept getting better. Monsters Exist is phenomenal (particularly Dressing up in other people's clothes and The Raid).

Gaming wise, Halo peaked with Combat Evolved. The story went to shit the more they "explained" and the mystery was destroyed.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Skerret wrote:
    Transformers

More that meets the eueueuuereys
  • Ive got another one:

Xbox!
  • Dark Souls is the obvious one (yes, I know, Demon's Souls). Why can't they make something so open and intricately designed again?

Fire Emblem and Advance Wars - the first ones I played on the GBA are still the best. Those are games where you can only really dilute or imbalance the experience by adding to it.
  • Skerret wrote:
    The man's not big,
    nick_md wrote:
    The man's not wrong.

*Knopfler guitar clangs*
  • Great call on advance wars Jon. Although it did have previous entries that were never released outside japan on the famicom.
  • With advance wars you knew they were struggling to improve when the big new feature of 2 was pipes.
  • Vela wrote:
    Great call on advance wars Jon. Although it did have previous entries that were never released outside japan on the famicom.
    Yeah, we got it when it had hit peak level for features. Same with FE. Shadow Dragon on DS was a remake of an earlier game and a little feature light compared to the GBA one, which really found the sweet spot.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Star Wars.  Phantom Menace or GTFO.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    First 3 Pogues albums are genuine classics.

Nothing replaces the buzz from early 80s Atari arcade games. (not sure how much rose tint is in that but I do still play them)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • The band Brand New, though its not really the done thing anymore to say you like/d them.
  • Most films, the first one is the best. Sequels almost always suffer from sequelitis, and that for me could be due to the first movie having a lot of great set up and origin plot threads etc (not sure if I’m articulating this correctly).

Games, sequels are mostly better.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Arctic Monkeys can go in.  Thought the first album was great, still listen to it every now and then.  Second album just tried (and failed) to copy it, third was meh apart from one track, can't remember the fourth and the fifth, although decent, wasn't as good as the return-to-form reviews suggested.  Didn't listen to the recent one.  Maybe this doesn't count as I carried on giving them a go for ages (mainly on the strength on their debut).  

Also The Hold Steady.  First two albums were superb, especially the second which is likely to forever remain in my all-time top ten.  Third and fourth were fine, fifth was shit, sixth was kind of okay but wouldn't have got me into the band and the latest one just sort of exists.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Arcade Fire.
  • The band Brand New, though its not really the done thing anymore to say you like/d them.

What happened? I only ever listened to Deja Entendu, but that was a cracker.
  • Lead singer certified creep and borderline noncery found and posted online. Basically took massive advantage of his fan base that pretty much idolised him.
  • Fair play, I can see why people would drop out.
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!