Death Stranding - Kojima/Reedus
  • In a world where death ghosts show up and rain murders you the thing that survives between ours and that world is monster energy drinks?
  • At least monster energy has been invented ;)
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    I love everything about it, but 5 hours played and 1 hour of that with the Dualshock in my hand is probably what we should expect of Kojima.

I'm intrigued nonetheless.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    You drink something it has a real world name ... nothing could be less immersion breaking

Except drinking something that doesn’t have a real world name. As soon as you have a real world name, it’s more immersion breaking than something which doesn’t.
  • Apart from when it isn’t. This is set in the future, energy drinks could still be around.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Depends. What if they wheeled out a coke in the hobbit or something.

Having said that I feel like criticising the presence brands in a hideo kojima game about essentially consumerist aspect fed by Amazon dot com is a bit like putting fish in a barrel so you can shoot them.

Is it brands which have an artistic purpose or is it brand singular that clearly has a financial purpose?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    But, it seems like instead of monetisation in this, we have advertising for Monster.

Given the choice, I’d take cosmetic-only monetisation over in-game advertising. Am I alone in this?

Cosmetic DLC violates the integrity of single-player games as a discrete holistic experience in a way that product placement doesn't. Conversely, cosmetic DLC complements F2P multiplayer GaaS games quite well whereas product placement is a bit dodgy in that ecosystem (sponsored items could be unbalanced or confer an unfair advantage).

This is the best argument I’ve read so far. Not sure that I agree with it, personally, I find product placement quite jarring in games, but it does at least have internal logic.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I suppose that my only point here is that it’s hard to make an argument for any quality (presumably offered by a perceived purity) offered by the lack of in game purchases when you’re simultaneously hawking an energy drink. Personally, I’d take an inobtrusive offer to purchase a thing with real world money over this, but YMMV.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm not gonna post any more in here because it's so toxic both ways but I definitely will comment on it at goty time, and it probably won't be on the list if that helps the discussion.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    The idea of a third person game that doesn't involve shooting/killing appeals to me. As long as it's atmospheric I reckon I could enjoy it.
    I’m almost the entire opposite opinion...which is why I can’t wait to start this tonight and see what happens.

And? What's the verdict?
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Well the first 2.5 hours of.... erm... gameplay was pretty very dull. Cut scenes are intriguing though.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I'm not gonna post any more in here because it's so toxic both ways but I definitely will comment on it at goty time, and it probably won't be on the list if that helps the discussion.
    Cutting.
    That post took a turn.

• regmcfly wrote:

Which is a Shame.. anyway I’m out until I’ve played it too.
  • I'll check it out once it hits pc. Probably not Kojima's greatest work but interesting nonetheless as it's his first independant release.
    If it's a walking simulator with online coop I'll adjust my expectations accordingly. Game still looks phenomenal; Kojima's signature handprints are all over it.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:

I think we can handle your opinion on it, we've seen more toxic threads in the past. I'm actually pleased you're not going to gush over it though, I can put the safety back on my Cannon of Contradiction as I'd loaded it up with your RDR2 comments.

It's a shame mind, because I know you love your Kojima games, the story and cutscenes especially even though they're the weakest parts for me. But I've always had the gameplay to fall back on, which is usually top tier, but I can't believe what I'm seeing with this.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    4 hours in and I think Kojima might be trolling everyone. I haven't actually done anything except walk and experienced the worst stealth sections in a game I've played.

Seriously. Wtf.

The bottle baby can gtf too. Creeps me out.
  • Verecocha wrote:
    The idea of a third person game that doesn't involve shooting/killing appeals to me. As long as it's atmospheric I reckon I could enjoy it.
    I’m almost the entire opposite opinion...which is why I can’t wait to start this tonight and see what happens.

And? What's the verdict?

I really don’t know what to think of it....

There are moments when the story seems interesting and engaging, but then the dialogue ruins it as it’s over complicated nonsense, new layers are added and new machinations appear. In terms of looks the external environments are beautiful, really stunning, but traversing them less so as Sam’s falling over is beyond comical and it just turns into hold both L2 and R2 as well as a direction and you’ll be fine, so now you’ve gotta hold 3 buttons to move for extended periods, fun. Also irritatingly you’ve gotta cancel run not just come to a stop. Coming across ladders and ropes is a great touch and you can ‘like’ them, but why do you have 10 seconds to like them as many times as you can? This ladder really helped so I liked it sixty times instead of once.

Not a fan of the interior sections or ‘cities’ as they look very P.N 03, really clean cut without any personality. Very much like the base on MGS5, overly shiny and unreal? Sitting in Sam’s ‘room’ is really odd as you can’t simply get up and walk around it looking at things, you have to rotate the camera and press square to move towards or use them, same with leaving, hold square looking at the door. Just another odd choice that prevents it feeling like a game, like something you have any control over. Doesn’t help at all considering the vast majority has been a bad movie so far.

It might get better, and I’d like to like it as when you come across the TB’s it can be quite atmospheric and somewhat scary, but on the whole it’s just absolute crazy cack that was it not Kojima with a lot of good/misleading advertising people would simply not have been interested.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    The landscape is stunning, but not in the slightest bit interesting. Oh look, more rocks.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I mean, so far I'm essentially doing the merchant quests from SoT which are the least interesting things to do in that game. Except I'm not sailing an awesome boat, I'm trudging through a dull landscape and occasionally holding the triggers.
  • Personally i think this game is probably unfinished just as MGS5 was unfinished and released. Kojima ran out of time again and got told its getting a release this Q3 mate, thats final type of thing.

The wasteland seems as barren and as dull as homebase was in MGS5.

Anyway im sure we'll get more feedback from gurt, reg, vere and anyone else who has bought it over the next few weeks. Its not a game for me personally. Just looks dull.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:

I think we can handle your opinion on it, we've seen more toxic threads in the past. I'm actually pleased you're not going to gush over it though, I can put the safety back on my Cannon of Contradiction as I'd loaded it up with your RDR2 comments.

It's a shame mind, because I know you love your Kojima games, the story and cutscenes especially even though they're the weakest parts for me. But I've always had the gameplay to fall back on, which is usually top tier, but I can't believe what I'm seeing with this.

I feel it's this sort of beautiful mess. Like someone had all the colours to hand then just smeared them everywhere. It is trying to do too much, and then failing and not really doing anything.
    The Giant Bomb description of "wide as a lake and shallow as a puddle" is pretty apt here. There's a lot to admire, and I mean that in a literal way, as in, if you are not playing and you step back, you can see the *stuff* going on. However, to play is almost down to the definition of a "chore", as I feel I have to do Kojima's rise and grind in order to see the next interesting anime.

For my money, anyone putting this on a goty list is really too close to the source material.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:

Is there no end to Kojima's product placement reign of terror?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I lolled when the fabled AMC advert appeared....on the shower cubicle when it closed. I mean... Wtf
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Dinostar77 wrote:

Is there no end to Kojima's product placement reign of terror?

Lolol
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    If wild speculation and taking shite is good enough for our prime minister, it's good enough for me.

This game sucks.
  • Bob wrote:
    Depends. What if they wheeled out a coke in the hobbit or something..
    Remind me was the hobbit set in a post apocalyptic future? I seem to remember The Road, a seminal post apocalyptic novel mentioning a cola based soft drink. Can’t remember now whether it was nuka cola, virgin cola or Pepsi cola but it didn’t change my enjoyment of the novel. Unlike his lack of punctuation which really annoyed me

Bob criticising Cormac McCarthy's punctuation is the most shocking thing in this thread. (Big winky emoticon.)
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    If wild speculation and taking shite is good enough for our prime minister, it's good enough for me.

This game sucks.

Kojimaexit?
  • trippy wrote:
    Bob wrote:
    Depends. What if they wheeled out a coke in the hobbit or something..
    Remind me was the hobbit set in a post apocalyptic future? I seem to remember The Road, a seminal post apocalyptic novel mentioning a cola based soft drink. Can’t remember now whether it was nuka cola, virgin cola or Pepsi cola but it didn’t change my enjoyment of the novel. Unlike his lack of punctuation which really annoyed me
    Bob criticising Cormac McCarthy's punctuation is the most shocking thing in this thread. (Big winky emoticon.)

To add to McCarthy being punctuationless, I was speechless at Bob criticising possibly the greatest writer out there.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I’m gonna get this soon and then I will deliver the definitive verdict. So, you guys shouldn’t worry.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Here's my verdict so far: Utter wank.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!