Arise: A Simple Story - PC, PS4, XBO - December 3rd
  • I mentioned this in general games last week, but thought it could have its own thread, because it's very good.

It's a new indie game which is kind of in the same area as things like Rime, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons or Gris. Light puzzle-platforming, that sort of thing.

It's very good first off because it the visual design and especially the lighting are really impressive, and the soundtrack is similarly lovely. But also because of its time lapse mechanic, whereby every level takes place over a fixed period of time that you can rewind and fast forward through at will, while your character is unaffected. This is used in different ways in each level so you can change the scenery around you to line up platforms and create ways forward. Aside from that, there's the 'simple story' itself, which tells the tale of your old geezer character through scenes in his past, each one representing a different event and emotion. Without giving anything away, each level really does a good job of creating that feeling through its environment design and play. There are some pretty big highs and lows throughout.

The only issue really is that it can be more frustrating to get through than it should have been. Mostly this is down to not having much camera control, leading to some perspective problems where you can't judge jumps properly. But it's not a deal breaker and if you can tolerate it, it's well worth the effort.

Here's a trailer:

There's also a co-op mode where one person controls the character and the other controls the time lapse. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I reckon it would work really well with the story, especially if you played with a signficant other.
  • Sounds good, will check it out.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yup, I'll definitely play that at some point.  If the platforming sounded slightly more on point I'd even be tempted at full price.
  • Jon, how long roughly is it? £16 won’t be so bad if it’s a few hours long.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • It's 5-6 hours. Perhaps a little more if you hunt around for all the optional collectibles.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I kind accidentally bought this. I will be judging Jon as I play through
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I’m so tempted by this. Short games are exactly what I need now. But sticking to my guns. No new games until PS5.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    I’m so tempted by this. Short games are exactly what I need now. But sticking to my guns. No new games until PS5.
    It’s old now.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!