Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    So, today is Free Comic Book Day, so it seemed like a good time to start a comic books thread. (Also, manga, web comics, digital comics, graphic novels, etc., thread. Anything that involves panels and speech bubbles, really.)

I picked up a stack of stuff, including a hardcover Mouse Guard book. I can't believe they were giving this away for free, the quality is incredible.

Plus, next month all the "Volume 1" TPBs come out for DC's 'New 52' line. I've been loving the crap out of 'Swamp Thing', so I'm going to be grabbing the 'Animal Man' TPB because apparently the plots over lap.

Right, that's the thread kicked off. What are you badgers reading?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    im collecting that marvel hardback thats out fortnightly.

not really read much in comics/graphic novels since batman cataclysm series.
    and a few from around then.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • Elm had all 332 of the old G1 Transformers UK comics!
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Who's giving away free stuff? What where?

I'm going to the Kapow! convention on the 19th - 20th so i'm thinking of items I can get signed. Warren Ellis will probably be sick of signing Transmetropolitan covers so i'll abstain from that.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Galaxy tab 10.1 is a fantastic comic reader, just the right size. I'm currently working my way through The Walking Dead, which is much better than the tv series. Also reading Brian Bendis' Ultimate Spiderman, which is also great even though it's probably aimed at 15 year olds.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message

I'm going to the Kapow! convention on the 19th - 20th so i'm thinking of items I can get signed. Warren Ellis will probably be sick of signing Transmetropolitan covers so i'll abstain from that.

Forum ate my post. Just search for 'free comic book day'. It's the first Saturday in May and does exactly what it says on the tin.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • EDIT: Double post.
    Twitter: Andy_Wharton | PSN: thehumantarget86 | Xbox Live: humantarget86 | Steam: thehumantarget
  • Bollockoff wrote:

I'm going to Kapow too. I'm looking forward to it!
    Twitter: Andy_Wharton | PSN: thehumantarget86 | Xbox Live: humantarget86 | Steam: thehumantarget
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I'm not quite sure what it's gonna be like. Only other convention i've ever gone to is London Expo which is far too bloated and full of toddlers for its own good now.
  • This fits in here:

http://www.rockstargames.com/maxpayne3/comics

Max Payne 3 comic. Free to download.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    That digital comics thing for online viewing is great.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Plornt wrote:
    This fits in here: http://www.rockstargames.com/maxpayne3/comics Max Payne 3 comic. Free to download.

That's very cool indeed.
  • Just finished Garth Ennis's 'Crossed', a post-apocalyptic extreme horror tale of survivors surviving against overwhelming odds of infected insane humans who just want to rape, dismember and cannibalise them - and not necessarily in that order.

It was...pretty good I suppose. I'm a sucker for anything post-apoc though. It didn't say anything about the human condition that TWD hasn't already and was essentially like a graphic novel of the first (good) half of the Stephen King novel 'Cell'. It was extremely horrific though, with some truly distrubing imagery and acts committed by both infected (or 'The Crossed') and humans alike. It gave me a nightmare last night, so it must be doing something right.

It also has a character called 'Horsecock', which is what it is.

7 gag-inducing deaths out of 10.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    Just finished Garth Ennis's 'Crossed', a post-apocalyptic extreme horror tale of survivors surviving against overwhelming odds of infected insane humans who just want to rape, dismember and cannibalise them - and not necessarily in that order.

+1 for the Firefly reference.

Anyone else reading 'Detective Comics'? The general feeling on the 'net seems to be that it's a bit pony, but I'm loving it. Am I missing something?
  • Chris Roberson Quits DC Comics

What do you guys think of all this hooplah?

The Ethical Rot Behind Before Watchmen and The Avengers

This is a good opinion piece, even though the fellow's argument being rooted copyright law = what is right and wrong seems strange. It does set out the way that the big two operate and treat the most important work in their possession.
    I'm a Sasquatch man and I'm watching you.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    So I spent most of the day at Kapow! and this has left me at least £150 worse off. This will only increase tomorrow. Bought some stuff my more comic orientated friends recommended like House of M and The Eternals along with a best of Judge Dredd one off story collection that a 2000 AD stall worker said would be good if i'm too young to have read any before.

Also erotic Wipeout cosplay.

wooblud.jpg
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Feisar burd, Kapow! Indeed
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Chris Roberson Quits DC Comics What do you guys think of all this hooplah? The Ethical Rot Behind Before Watchmen and The Avengers This is a good opinion piece, even though the fellow's argument being rooted copyright law = what is right and wrong seems strange. It does set out the way that the big two operate and treat the most important work in their possession.

Big companies are douche bags in general. On the upside, if they keep treating their talent like this, in the digital age, they'll just bugger off and do their own thing.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    KAPOW! has come to an end. Partly glad as I can stop spending money now. One of the highlights was actually Lucha Brittania. We watched a show expecting it to be lame crap and it was surprisingly entertaining.

Big up to the Bakewell Boys. Champs 4 evar.
  • Kow wrote:
    Galaxy tab 10.1 is a fantastic comic reader, just the right size. I'm currently working my way through The Walking Dead, which is much better than the tv series.

Interesting. I haven't yet obtained a kindle partly because of my love of graphic novels. I've heard reading on a tablet can hurt your eyes due to it always emitting light? 

Recently i've read Chew and Neonomicon but mostly Preacher which is brilliant. Might have beaten From Hell to 3rd in my all time favourite grahpic novels behind swamp thing and Y: the last man.

With regards the Marvel/DC. Is it really any different to any other corporation? I don't know why we are surprised when corporations act unethically.
  • Not really. It's shitty yes, but you'd have to avoid an awful lot of companies if you boycott that kind of behavior.

Currently the only thing of the New 52 I've read is Wonder Woman, and I've no complaints so far (though only up to Issue 6). I suspect there is nothing they can do to make anyone care about Superman, Batman is probably doing fine and Green Lantern is barely changed.

The current Marvel stuff is quite good, behind a bit on Spider-Man, but the Avengers and X-Men stuff has been good as has Deadpool. About to start AvX
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Djornson wrote:
    Is it really any different to any other corporation? I don't know why we are surprised when corporations act unethically.

I don't think we should be surprised, it certainly seems par for the course. But I don't think we should be accepting of it. You'd be surprised how often campaigns work, companies like coming off as the good guy even if they aren't. Apple did a lot to clean up their production lines after a Greenpeace campaign, and loads of companies dropped Rush Limbaugh's sponsorship after his rant about birth control meaning he has the right to watch you have sex.
    Currently the only thing of the New 52 I've read is Wonder Woman, and I've no complaints so far (though only up to Issue 6). I suspect there is nothing they can do to make anyone care about Superman, Batman is probably doing fine and Green Lantern is barely changed. The current Marvel stuff is quite good, behind a bit on Spider-Man, but the Avengers and X-Men stuff has been good as has Deadpool. About to start AvX

I've been reading Detective Comics and Swamp Thing, both of which I've been loving to pieces. The former seems to be getting some bad press, though, which I can't understand. I decided to go with Detective over the other Batman titles as my local comic shop said it was the most likely to not feature other characters from the DC universe. (In my mind, Batman is a hero in a hero-less world, having him in the same universe as Superman and Green Lantern, who're basically gods compared to Bruce Wayne, renders Batman pointless.)

The New 52 hard back volume 1s are out soon, and I think I'm going to have to get Animal Man: The Hunt, as the plots cross over with Swamp Thing, and I've heard good rumblings about Animal Man.

Talking of current Marvel stuff and hardcover collections, you guys should definitely check out Venom: Circle of Four. I read it as it came out in comic form, and it was immense. The hardcover collects issues 10 to 14, including all the 13.x issues.
  • Can anyone suggest a good run of The Avengers to start on?  Is there a tonal equivalent to the kind of stuff that Grant Morrison and Mark Millar did with X-Men - slightly darker than usual?  Brian Michael Bendis seems to be a name that crops up a lot.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Has Bendis written the Avengers too? I like his Daredevil and Spiderman stuff.
  • He had a mammoth run on it that finished last year.

It's not strictly Avengers, but Civil War is pretty good.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    +1 for 'Civil War'. Avoid 'Road to Civil War' like a dose of the clap.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    had my eye on Civil War: Spiderman on the weekend but it was quite expensive and only noticed it when I was laden down already with stuff.

Most of the stories in the Judge Dredd collection are so 80s. It's fantastic.
  • Bendis has been heading up Avengers stuff for the better chunk of the last decade. He's been good, but I think he's getting a bit stale and he seems to struggle a bit with differentiating between team members with his writing voice. His other books like Powers, Alias and his Dare Devil run are better. 

as for me,  I'm on catch up. I stopped downloading comics after Fear Itself and the nuDCu launch so I'm a ways back. Currently catching up on X-Men, Spider-Man and Iron Man which have all been excellent. Post Schism, Wolverine's side of the X-Men seem to have the most interesting pitch so I'm looking forward to more of that, particularly.
  • I found a copy of Marshall law takes Manhattan. March 91. Pat mills and Kevin o Neill. Who wants it?
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • About to start on the AvX stuff, so hoping it turns out good. Agree that Wolverines lot have been the more interesting, though having said that, I did enjoy Generation Hope, shame it was cancelled.

If you're reading Spider-Man, it's been pretty much all gold recently. Spider Island was fantastic, and this Ends of the Earth thing is amazing.
  • Purchases I have made:
    Civil War
    The Authority: Lost Year
    BPRD: Plague of Frogs Book 1
    Batman & Robin Books 2&3.

I also got, as a birthday present, the massive hardcover Marvel Chronicle - the year by year history of Marvel. Its absolutely brilliant, fascinating and funny.

I'm currently re-reading Grant Morrisons Doom Patrol, which is one of my all time favorites.
‹ Previous123456735

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!