Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker SPOILER THREAD
‹ Previous123456731
  • Opening a new thread for spoilers to free up the existing thread for TLJ discussion.

I'll copy paste what I wrote when I got home last night.

Spoilers below

The Rise of The Retcon! So much retconning that it starts retconning itself throughout.

It felt very rushed and is a mess.  But didn't need to be as a good third of the film felt unneeded.  All that stuff on the planet with the tiny droid mechanic could have been ditched easily enough.  There were plenty of other scenes as well.  But yeah clearly JJ was trying to do a trilogy with this single film and it struggles under the pressure.

Palpatine, I thought was actually really well done.  Portrayed as an undead monster I thought it worked.  Wished we had more of him.
    So much fan service, though.  I was amazed that OAP Jar Jar Binks didn't pop up just to trip over something at some point.

All in all, I don't think it's a particularly good movie but does have a decent resolution to the story they started with the new films.

** Having had time to think more, I didn't dislike it but I also didn't like it.  There are really poor decisions throughout but I think the characters just about manage to pull things over the finish line.
  • Will avoid this until Monday- I’ll expecting to be initially thrilled with disappointment on the long term horizon the more I think about how little sense it all makes.
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • As a counter-point to Matt, I’m just home from watching it with my mate and we both absolutely loved every second of it.
  • I'm glad you loved it Andy. I'm curious to see how the opinions range.

My main gripe with it was just a basic film language one. It's all so rushed with the editing and storytelling that I felt like I didn't have time to let it soak in. Everyone was just where they needed to be and you didn't see how they got there, even scene transitions of someone walking to where they're going for a second helps add breathing room. I reckon JJ must have hated how slow Lando talked :P
    Wasn't sure what was up with his creepy "let's find out" at the end either. Apart from just the slightly creeper easy he said it I guess it's supposed to be like "if rey can find out about her family, so can you"?

I kind of wish that the Chewie thing wasn't a fake out too. That could have been an interesting story point. But no, 2 scenes later you're told there was another transport that somehow no one saw.

It was only those big moments that irked. I feel like there's plenty to nitpick if you wanted (I'm sure the sad men will do that a lot in the coming months) but star wars has always been pickable.

I just felt like this wasn't up to the usual JJ storytelling standard.

Plus I wanted some nod to Rose and Finn and their relationship. Even just a line about how they were together for a moment or something. If you're going to try and tick off every box created so far why not that one? More Rose in general would have been good, she had a good spunky energy in TLJ.

Those production values though. Daaaaaang. Does anyone else reckon that planet explosion was a practical miniature effect? Looked that way to me. There were so many details like that that made me wish I had more time to take it in
  • Average. Took the storyline from KOTOR with malek & reven facing the sith emperor. I reckon palpatine was added cause they fucked up in episode 8 killing off snoke.

Wish Rey had died at the end or at last turned evil. But its disney and that can happen as too many toys to sell. The franchise movie wise needs to be buried for a good decade or two.

There are star wars books that have better and more interesting storylines than this most recent trilogy. Love Rey as a character completely bored of the skywalker line and palpatine coming back.

Also they butchered the Sith rule of two and how is there supposed to be balance to the force and only two jedi? Ben and Rey? Where are the rest, so in 20 years no other kids have been born with force ability? This bullshit about "we all live through you" is utter crap.

What did finn want to tell rey?

How did ben develop the lifeforce power have never used it before? You cant hust copy another jedis powers thats not how the lore works. More made up bullshit

Why is star wars obsessed with blowing up planets?

So wish we could have a old republic triology but that wont happen.

Where did rey get the yellow lightsaber crystal from?

Lastly, rey killed the emperor doing exactly what he wanted so how is she not now a sith empresses and how did palpatines spirit not go into her?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I guess I enjoyed it well enough for what it is. Happy to have the series put to bed.

Chewie but was missed opportunity, Palpatine was a surprise (I'd forgotten about previous Darth Sidious theories). Some shonky bits, some fun bits. Not mega amazeballs, somehow both rushed and with filler, but not a total disaster I suppose.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It's certainly fun watching people talking about Rey being a nobody, in the other thread
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Particularly when that apparently validates TLJ lel
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I liked Zorri. Rose was a missed opportunity. Good to see Lando. Do kinds wish Rey had gone evil though and Ben had killed her/gone full white for longer.

Liked Rey wearing a black belt as she started to waver.

Disliked flying Storm trooper & skimmer bit. Liked death star return. Confused though cos that wasn't the same moon of endor as the ewoks was it? Or was that the first death star not the second? In which case it was kinda mid space and they both totes disintegrated?? Or maybe there was a third??
  • I thought that was fucking excellent.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I thought it was ok. Palps was great. I'd maybe have more to add if I hadn't fell asleep on around 14 separate occasions during the final third.

I'll watch it again though.
  • Just home from the cinema. Me and my boy are buzzing. Thought it was great.
    Makes ye laugh, cry and cheer

Was waiting for it to go shite for the most of the first hour then just went with it.

Felt like a remake of Jedi at times but that's no bad thing IMO

• Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Leia was the tragic hodge podge of cut lines I'd feared she would be. Gutted.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    I enjoyed it but need time and at least another one or two viewings to fully digest... Up until it became apparent that Chewie hadn't died, I was wondering if it had a chance at maybe even being the best of the lot, but that very cheap reveal and subsequent inconsistencies knock it down the order to around joint fourth with The Force Awakens below Rogue One, The Empire Strikes Back & Return of the Jedi.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I sensed Chewie died in that space ship but I didn't sense he was actually in a different space ship until I sensed he was in a different space ship will take some explanation like. Load of shite, really.
  • That was far better than I was anticipating. Way too much crammed in, especially as it was just following those three main guys for most of it. The editing was all over the shop, especially in the first half hour or so. The plot was just this, now this, now this, now this. Leia was very obviously just being fed lines by the other characters to match the responses that they happened to have from the outtakes. It gets a pass for all of that though considering the mess it had to clear up from last time.

My main complaint was that it didn’t give itself room to breathe. Rey stranded herself on the porg planet. Then was up and out of there again about two minutes later. Contrast with eg Luke’s repeated attempts to raise his X-Wing from the swamp on Dagobah. You lose the impact of the events if they’re just smashed and crammed together. Considering what I thought of all the others though, this is some weak criticism. It was an enjoyable ride and the best of any of these new ones. The fourth best Star Wars film out of 12 (I think?).
  • The crazy frog guys have strong law suit potential for that little robot fixing dweeb.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I liked that Maz Kantana ditched the goggles and embraced the puckered arsehole natural look for her peepers.
  • I just got back from it. 
    That was one of the most unintentionally funny things ive seen.  
    Overall it was at least two movies worth of decent action scenes crammed together with plot mcguffin after mcguffin slathered on top. 
    There was just too much everything. 
    Put the movies to bed for at least two years now, develop another TV show, learn some shit on how to actually develop plot and place from the now better storytellers that are TV writers/directors and give it another go, but this time without a Skywalker. 

The inclusiveness was strong with this one.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • And see incels, even palpatine can get his space pole waxed.
  • And at the end they should've turned the movie into Ladyhawke... Rey brings Kylo back to life, then Kylo brings Rey back to life, he dies with the effort, then Rey brings Kylo back to life, but she dies with the effort. 
    So every day they only have 1min when they can interact with each other before the other dies and has to be brought back to life.
  • And everyone knows there no lesbians in space because they would show up on enemy radar.
  • So if Rey is Palpatine’s granddaughter, and Palpatine killed her parents, then Palpatine killed either his own daughter or son right? Presumably one of her parents was his kid and presumably was therefore strong in the force also? But when we see her parents getting stabbed in the film they don’t seem strong in the force or related to him. Did I miss something?
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • Says here it was Rey’s dad who was Palpatine’s son but I saw no evidence of that in the film.

https://screenrant.com/rey-parents-identity-palpatine-skywalker-star-wars-9/

That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • I want to see more slug/human lovin'. Go for it Merry, you deserve each other.

Seriously though, loved that slug guy. I mean they could explain a little why he's going on a mission with them maybe but I just liked that he was there
  • When Ben dies his body disappears as happens with jedi when rey died her body didnt?

In the end the skywalker bloodline is dead and palpatine bloodline continues.
  • No one's ever really gone, unless it's needed as a plot mcguffin.
  • It was his time to go to uncle Owens house and live with all the other force ghosts.
    This Jedi House sitcom starts February, exclusive to Disney+.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    She wasn't totally dead like
  • Nah I think you disappear when you use up all your force power. Well that's how it seemed here in the new trilogy. Obi focussed himself to disappear. Not sure about Yoda though.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    She's getting better.
‹ Previous123456731

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!