The Greatest Hit. RIP
‹ Previous123456775
  • Weekly argument over what is the best track from a given band.
    Band changes Saturday night/Sunday morning.

Winner of best track chooses next band but let's keep it casual.

I will open with The Prodigy and a delightful number known as Poison.

Round 1
    The Prodigy
    Breathe, No Good and Voodoo People

Round 2
    The Stone Roses
    She Bangs the Drums

Round 3
    R.E.M
    Leave

Round 4
    Manic Street Preachers
    Motorcycle Emptiness

Round 5
    Madonna
    Like a Prayer

Round 6
    Oasis vs Blur
    Live Forever
    Beetlebum
    Oasis win

Round 7
    Bjork
    Hyperballad

Round 8
    Paul vs John vs George vs Ringo
    Paul

Round 9
    Chris Cornell
    Black Hole Sun

Round 10 
    George Michael
    Freedom 90

Round 11
    Jay-Z
    Empire State of Mind and Crazy in Love

Round 12
    Fatboy Slim vs Armand Van Helden
    Fatboy Slim

Round 13
    Nirvana
    Smells like Teen Spirit Aneurysm

Round 14
    Will Smith
    Summertime

Round 15
    Spice Girls vs All Saints
    Spice Girls Wannabe
    All Saints Pure Shores
    Spice Girls win

Round 16 Justin Timberlake
    Cry me a River

Round 17
    Metallica
    Master of Puppets and Creeping Death

Round 18
    Queen
    Inconclusive

Round 19
    Prince
    When Doves Cry

Round 20
    Wu Tang Clan plus solo projects
    Inconclusive

Round 21
    TV themes
    Inconclusive

Round 22
    Take That.
    Never Forget

Round 23
    Pet Shop Boys
    Its a Sin

Round 24
    Bowie
    Life on Mars
    Heroes
    Sound and Vision

Round 25
    Daft punk
    Inconclusive

Round 26
    Annie Lennox
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Clearly not their best track, but I do now have it running round my head, and it's reminding me of good times, so thank you
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • :D
    Chuck your hat in the ring mate.
    I dont think it their best either but it is my favourite track of theirs.
  • I have a regular debate with my partner (it’s not really a debate more of an oppositional series insistence) about whether breathe (me) or firestarter (her) insists is better.

I also like some other tracks and some are remixes. I think the song I really have the most love for is warriors dance from invaders must die.
  • No Good (Start the Dance)
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Breathe for me too.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I'm torn between Breathe, Voodoo People, Invaders must Die, and No Good.
  • Out of Space.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Surprising amount of love for Breathe here. It always sounded like a poor man’s Firestarter to me.
  • No bad suggestions here.

Mine is probably firestarter, though. Or their law.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Nice idea Liv

I quite like Warriors Dance but No Good (Start the Dance) for me too.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Probably Breathe.  Huge track.  So huge I remember where I first got hold of it - on a quality double disc comp called Wired: New Directions in Dance.  

My favourite was always Mindfields.  Not sure it would be now as I just relistened to a few, but I can't not mention it because I wore it out in the 90s.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    No Good (Start the Dance)

• Good thread. Great choice for first band. I don’t listen to music much but Prodigy is one of the few bands that I do listen to and have done so from the beginning. Too many great tracks to choose from but I think it’ll have to be:
    FranticPea wrote:
    monkey wrote:
    No Good (Start the Dance)

A few other favourites.
    Wind It Up
    Out of Space
    Voodoo People
    Narayan
    Climbatize

So many great ones.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yeah impossible choice really, so many memories associated with that band. One of those that soundtracked my puberty, despite me growing away from "dance music" they never fitted into any box anyway so were always alongside me. From djing at youth club spinning Wind It Up and Charly, to my first forays into clubland as Jilted dropped, Their Law, and No Good weer constant. As I moved towards punk that call and response in Poison still hit the spot. Then I'm a young adult, listening to harder rock but still going to clubs trapping, Fat Of The Land drops and it sat alongside FNM and Deftones without being out of place. Invaders Must Die was a brilliant little surprise that I wasn't expecting but thought was brilliant when that was announced a couple of years ago

if I had to choose one, then Out Of Space was played at Boscombe Academy (Opera House, o2 Academy, delete according to age) at midnight every Thursday and Saturday as the opener to a mini set, a handover before the headlining dj starts, so I think that has the most for me

edit: just looked, Invaders was ten years ago, fuuuuccckkk
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • My runners-up:

Breathe
    Diesel Power
    Firestarter
    Invaders Must Die
    Smack My Bitch Up

and everything on Music for the Jilted Generation. Yes, all of it. I’ve got certain tracks from Experience, The Fat of the Land, The Day is My Enemy and Invaders Must Die in my iPhone library, but I can’t leave anything out of Jilted Generation. The only track from that album which isn’t a runner up is the best track:

Voodoo People

Come on, you all know that’s the right answer. ;)
  • Best Prodigy is a really tough call because so much of their stuff runs to a formula. But what a formula!

No Good (Start the Dance) for me. That was the tipping point where they moved from an outsider rave/dance act to being an unstoppable pop juggernaut. And it still sounds amazing.

My favourite was always Their Law, but that’s because I was a massive PWEI fan.
  • I'm not a prodigy fan (not big into dance) and the likes of breathe were initially the most appealing from the band but no good (start the dance) grew to be absolute belter tune

There's also a mix of voodoo people that I really like, more fast paced. But no good would be the winner.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Andy wrote:
    My runners-up:

Breathe
    Diesel Power
    Firestarter
    Invaders Must Die
    Smack My Bitch Up

and everything on Music for the Jilted Generation. Yes, all of it. I’ve got certain tracks from Experience, The Fat of the Land, The Day is My Enemy and Invaders Must Die in my iPhone library, but I can’t leave anything out of Jilted Generation. The only track from that album which isn’t a runner up is the best track:

Voodoo People

Come on, you all know that’s the right answer. ;)

I might replace invaders must die, but otherwise you’ve nailed it.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • One of the tracks on Jilted, might be Their Law, has some pretty cool reverb going on in the background that was created by putting a brick on a piano and a sub underneath and just letting it all vibrate. Awesome!
  • 10 days might be a bit long for this actually.
    I will try to call it Sunday by doing a rough tally, cant be arsed with points and charts.

Let's just take it in turns for bands maybe.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Sounds good to me.
  • The Heat: The Energy.......
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Calling this.
    As a rough overview there are clear favourites with Breathe, No Good and Voodoo People.

All stone cold classics and great examples of their work from 2 of the 3 original and best albums.

Who wants to go next choosing a band?
  • Stone Roses!
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    The Only One I Know - Charlatans - clearly not the Stone Roses best track, nor is it actually my favourite

I'll go again in a bit
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Elephant Stone, I Am the Resurrection, Waterfall, Sally Cinnamon, Mersey Paradise, She Bangs the Drums and I Wanna Be Adored equally.
  • My first Stone Roses love was Sally Cinnamon. It featured on a compilation cassette I had, before I knew who they were.

They’ve had some belters. I could fairly happily pick Waterfall, or Ten Storey Love Song, or I Am The Resurrection. I’m less excited about I Wanna Be Adored, although it’s still great, and will likely be some people’s choice.

This is where it’s at, though:

• Oh, that opening guitar on Love Spreads...
‹ Previous123456775

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!