Journey to the Savage Planet - 28/01/2020 - PC, XBox1, PS4
‹ Previous12
  • Explore an alien planet from first person perspective, scan and interact with its wildlife, craft new gear and find a way to leave. Do it with another player in online co-op if you want.

So, I've been playing this over the last couple of weeks for a review I'm going to be doing, and I think it's great. The main point of comparison has to be Metroid Prime, except with colour, toilet humour and general silliness. It's heavily focused on exploration and discovery, and getting materials for upgrades so you can explore and advance more. There is combat, but a lot of the wildlife isn't hostile unless you provoke it (which of course is always tempting).

For me, it's proper comfort gaming. Just getting out there exploring, experimenting and discovering stuff. It doesn't do that much that's really new, but it's all just really fun and satisfying.

Other reviews so far are quite mixed though, and some people clearly aren't so impressed. But Eurogamer like it:
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-01-27-journey-to-the-savage-planet-review-a-genuinely-funny-toybox-to-explore

Anyway, it's £25. I think it's well worth it.
  • I should also mention, if you've been reading the Edge column by the developer creating a new game that's been running for the last however long, this is that game.
  • I’ve been really really interested in this and was also hoping you’d have a view too Jon. Sounds like I’m in, it looks lovely too.
  • Google have bought them out now though haven’t they?
  • Yes, I think that was quite recent.
  • Unexpectedly, I'm in for this.  Was having a drunken chat with my bestie matey recently, who I don't see that often these days, and we decided to do some more co-op stuff online.  I think we've only played A Way Out in the past ten years (and one ridiculous session of Mudrunner), which needs rectifying.  I suggested this after Jon's post and he's well up for it.  So yep, day one.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Looks pretty good.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Unexpectedly, I'm in for this.  Was having a drunken chat with my bestie matey recently, who I don't see that often these days, and we decided to do some more co-op stuff online.  I think we've only played A Way Out in the past ten years (and one ridiculous session of Mudrunner), which needs rectifying.  I suggested this after Jon's post and he's well up for it.  So yep, day one.
    Interesting to see how well it works as a co-op game. It's basically throwing another character into a Metroid game, and I don't know how much actual working together it will involve. But I guess it should be a laugh all the same.
  • It seems to be billed as a co-op experience with a single player mode, rather than vice versa.  Apparently you can just do your own thing though, so you're not tethered to the other player in any way.  How huge is it?  Obviously I'm a bit worried that I'm getting myself in for something I'll barely scratch the surface of.  

I feel like I'm ready for space again anyway.  I love The Outer Wilds and the guy I'll be playing with has put insane hours into Elite Dangerous.
  • It's fairly typical Metroid size, I'd say. It feels quite open, but progress is actually quite linear. I would think about 12 hours for a leisurely first play through, but I guess co-op could speed things up.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Do you need two copies to play coop? Local & remote both options?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    No local co-op, online only, and yeah you both need a copy of the game.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ta.  I'm definitely interested at some point, likely January 2021.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I think it's got Game Pass written all over it.
  • Wouldn’t that make things a bit hard to see?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I have this.

As do I. Slightly slow start, but I'm pretty into it now. Currently on an irritating boss though. 

My daughter described it as Metroid crossed with Ratchet and Clank which isn't far off I think. It's at its best when you're just tootling around exploring...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I have this.

Would you be up for tacking it co-op, if I similarly indulged??
  • I only bought it for co-op mate, got it sorted already though sorry.
  • Played for 45mins or so. Metroid crossed with Ratchet & Clank seems like a good description.
  • Meant to stop playing when I posted that but didn't. I'm enjoying it so far.
  • Yep, I played a fair bit yesterday, and am fairly sure I'm near the end. I stand by my "at its best when you're exploring" comment.  There are some insane bits of platforming later on in the game.  Some are optional such as...
    Spoiler:
    ...whilst others are unfortunately compulsory. 

It's an interesting game in that I don't particularly enjoy the combat, the comedy is sometimes grating and the platform stuff is at times infuriating, and yet I'm still enjoying it a lot.

I think the world itself, and the loving way in which it's been assembled, goes an extraordinarily long way to making up for any issues. It's a fun place to play around in.

A couple of bits of advice for anyone starting out...

- Do the science experiments.
    - Muck about with the weird stuff you find - most things work on most creatures - even bosses.
    - Make sure you have a full inventory of said stuff whenever possible.
    - Yeah, the gun is rubbish. But most areas seem to have been actively designed with cheesing in mind. Embrace it.
    - There are some areas you just can't reach until later. Though it's surprising how many things you can find work-arounds for if you really want to.
    - Don't be afraid to get lost.
    - Cut the grass if you're looking for goo.
  • I found the platforming pretty comfortable for a first person game. It really helps to upgrade the jumps asap, I think, preferably twice. Once you can triple jump it's easy enough to correct any misjudgements in mid-air.

I also think it's a game that just wants you to throw yourself into things without much care, and it doesn't penalise you harshly for doing that. I was always chucking myself off ledges and trying to make huge leaps, and I don't think I died a great deal throughout the whole game.

It's an adventure that encourages you to be adventurous, and rewards you for it.
  • JonB wrote:
    I found the platforming pretty comfortable for a first person game. It really helps to upgrade the jumps asap, I think, preferably twice. Once you can triple jump it's easy enough to correct any misjudgements in mid-air.

I also think it's a game that just wants you to throw yourself into things without much care, and it doesn't penalise you harshly for doing that. I was always chucking myself off ledges and trying to make huge leaps, and I don't think I died a great deal throughout the whole game.

It's an adventure that encourages you to be adventurous, and rewards you for it.

Yeah, you’re right - most of the time the platforming is pretty good fun. I’m just sulking with it because I stopped last night after repeatedly meeting a lava filled doom due to my inability to jump correctly...

(Whereas the previous hour had been spent gleefully hurling myself into the abyss, and correcting at the last moment...)

• The co-op system isn't what I was expecting, apparently the host uses their existing save and the other player joins that. Which I assume means they can access all the equipment the host has unlocked. Pkayer two definitely doesn't take anything across to their own save.

It's not the sort of thing I expected to play solo, but I think I'll finish it in sp then mess around with side quests in co-op later.
  • Did the bit I was moaning about first time last night, then quickly went on to finish the game
    Spoiler:

Then spent the rest of the night happily bouncing around and exploring stuff, until far too late in the evening...
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    It's a lovely fun little game. Loving the art style and exploration and as long as it doesnt out stay its welcome I'll be very happy.
  • I’m very tempted as it’s £25 but I’ve got too much to play.
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • I'll probably be up for selling it in a few weeks if you fancy it. Will finish sp and mess around for a bit in co-op first. £15 delivered? XBox.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm in for that if kerno ain't!
  • Also, noob question. Is there a way to put away the tool in your left hand? I only got it recently but I can't work out how to stop carrying it. Takes up an annoying chunk of the screen.
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!