Beatz by skezzer. The Proper good audio thread. Headphones, amps, dacs, etc.
  • https://www.radioparts.com.au/ProductDisplay.aspx?ProductSearch=studio acoustics speakers sa500w&dym=true

So these are the speakers.

Just can't argue with $5.

Especially given these don't need to be crazy audiofile quality. Kitchen when cooking, or background music for BBQ in the backyard.

Thinking I'll have to attach them to the roof though. I guess I need to find a stud up there too?

I dunno.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Will post pics in a bit. Still waiting for chromecast, and still need to hide cords properly, but speakers are up. Sound great. Having to AUX in direct to phone for now.

• I might be a bit late to the party, but anyone listened to these 8D tracks "youtube pentatonix songs". The effect with a regular pair of headphones is pretty impressive.

Fuck me, 8d drum n bass is sick.
  • Not sure what I'd found before but I have found 8d stuff now.

Can't say it does much for me. It's just moving most of the the sound around your head - like you are sitting on a slow roundabout. It's ok for a few songs but it's not the same as hearing instruments and sounds with a proper 3d sound stage like you get with good music and decent headphones.
  • Anyone here tried upfiring atmos speakers?
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • This 8d thing reminded me of the Smyth Realiser (https://www.smyth-research.com)
    I'd love to try it one day.
    I win... in the most minor way possible.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    ahhh the Realiser.  Mad little thing
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    The Daddy wrote:
    Anyone here tried upfiring atmos speakers?

Erm no and from a pure mechanical point of view, the words themselves seem weird. Tweeters work far better on line of sight so up makes no sense, and bottom end can be structure borne better than through air so downward and rearward both make more sense

I'm sure they have professionals in their design department so I'm missing something just really unsure what it is yet
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • They bounce the sound of the ceiling. I’m sceptical about how effective they’d be but really wanna go full atmos.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Hmm, interesting, and to be fair now you mention it, Yamahas DSP sound bars sound pretty great and do the same to simulate surround, so maybe I was too harsh
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Hmm, interesting, and to be fair now you mention it, Yamahas DSP sound bars sound pretty great and do the same to simulate surround, so maybe I was too harsh
  • Cocko posting in stereo now.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    hahaha, oops, shall I add a few more for full DSP surround
  • mrsmr2 wrote:

No, its got to be 8D pentatonix to hear the effect properly with ear or headphones
  • mrsmr2 wrote:
    Not sure what I'd found before but I have found 8d stuff now.

Can't say it does much for me. It's just moving most of the the sound around your head - like you are sitting on a slow roundabout. It's ok for a few songs but it's not the same as hearing instruments and sounds with a proper 3d sound stage like you get with good music and decent headphones.

Well i thought it was inpressive. Not heard any 3d sound stage stuff personally as far as im aware and the point of 8D was that any pair of ear/headphones gets you the effect.
  • Do expensive noise cancelling headphones actually work? I'm thinking the neighbors, and that doesn't just involve a heavy bass. TV, someone playing the guitar etc. I'm thinking Bose or Sony but they're expensive, but I'll pay if they actually work.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • I've got the Sony Wh1000xm3 (ludicrous name) and their noise canceling is superb. Block out the tube each day for me. They're expensive, but amazon allows you to pay them off over 5 months interest free, which is what I did. Far more palatable.
  • Yeah, they were the Sony ones I was looking at. Cheers.
  • Although I do mean noise cancelling without music. It's silence I'm after.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    if that's the in ears they'd probably be better than most. Not used them, but sony in easr do give a decent seal, so apart from thumping bass they would likely be pretty good if the software can keep up
  • I'll co-sign the sonys. Although I tried the over ears. If it's silence you're after, would ear plugs not be cheaper?
  • Facewon wrote:
    I'll co-sign the sonys. Although I tried the over ears. If it's silence you're after, would ear plugs not be cheaper?

Well I'd use them for other stuff too, but ear plugs are surprising ineffective, and they're uncomfortable. They work a bit, but not very well. I could maybers get some proper workman's drilling/chainsaw things but I'd like something multi-purpose I guess. I need something I can put on for hours while I code. Over-ear is definitely a bonus.
  • I have the over ears and I'd say they do a pretty good job of dulling all sorts of external noise, so can probably help with your circumstances.

The only thing I would say, is that without music etc, the n/c vacuum kinda effect would be more noticeable and maybe uncomfortable for long periods? I suppose like anything though, you could get use to that after a while.
  • Oh I love absolute silence whist coding. Went for the Sonys.
  • That anc stuff is great. Noisy lockdown problem solved.
  • I was a bit concerned at first when I tried them on with the tv turned up and could still hear it, but only the talking and it was very quiet. For almost everything else it's great. I popped them on and started to code and I didn't even realise the guy downstairs was playing his guitar until I took them off. It works very well at the lower basey end, and because the neighbour sound is muffled through the floors and walls it tends to come through basey anyway, and the anc just gets rid of it completely. 

Also 10mins battery charge for 5hrs is just great, and 30hrs on a full charge with anc turned on is more than I need.
  • Yeah they are amazing. I’ve missed fire alarms going off at work the anc is that effective. 

x
  • The only downside is I'll probably be killed under a bus.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!