Anime and Manga
  • A woman called Fujiko Mine is extremely sexual and possibly a little bit awful. Whenever I saw a review of it this aspect was rarely highlighted in contrast to the visuals.
  • First three parts of JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure are now on znetflix so no one has any excuse any more. Better watching that than some phoned in Netflix exclusive shit about a murderer who kills with bees or whatever.
  • Next up then Tempy

I’m watching something about devils and angels ?
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • Started my hero academia last night, am a bit sick (coughing fits courtesy of my children) so wanted something easy.

2 episodes in, am enjoying it! Not enjoying crunchy roll ads that all of sudden pop in at MAXIMUM VOLUME but I could always pay premium if it really annoyed me.
  • MHA is... fine. Really disappointed with the latest season, which is a shame as I liked it in the Manga a lot.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Finished Pluto Urasawa x Tezuka last night, that was really good. Thanks for recommending that years ago, @Tempy.

Such clean linework, loved it.
  • Glad you enjoyed it Nina! I cried my eyes out once or twice during it. Crazy how much it hit me. I should really read more of his stuff. I have easy access to all of it, but I am a wasteman.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Yeah the way emotions were drawn was so good. I sometimes just stared for minutes at faces and expressions, wondering how such simple lines could contain so much emotion. In some panels you could just hear the silence, rage or laughter.

I was sad when I popped the last 4 issues into the library returns box yesterday, I think I need to buy them at some point. Such good designs in there.
  • His linework is really excellent yep, but also his use of panels is really good. There are a couple of standout moments where he manages to convey emotions through very little but subtle line work changes, which especially tough considering the world is so heavily populated by Robots. There is one bit where Gesicht visits a widowed robot, and he conveys the weird dance of her brain trying to come to terms with something she's not really programmed for, and it's a really rough page emotionally.

Biggest gut punch stuff for me is probably the most obvious though, the stuff with North No.2  and the Composer is really well done.
  • I reckon you'r really like KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF EIZOUKEN too Nina. There's a manga, and a live action show, but I think the anime that's currently airing is the best way of experiencing it. Three school girls team up to make an Anime Club at their school, cos two of them love animation and one loves money. It's a mix of realistic and over the top, but frequently at it's best when the two girls who love animation imagine new ideas and the show represents them as the team exploring a sketched out world, with the sound effects replaced with the girls making the noises themselves - great touch for a great show.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Ah, so that's where that eezy breezy clip came from?

It's only on crunchyroll right? Will need to figure out if I can get that on the TV or PS4.
    I've seen you talking about it before and already stuck it on my to watch list.
  • It is yep. Crunchy Roll has a pretty good PS4 app. I watched a bunch of JoJo and HxH on there with Ev. Also a loooot of Haikyuu.

I think overall Crunchy Roll is better value then Netflix for me cos I'd rather get two or three decent shows per anime season on there than a wealth of shiiite on Netflix. Plus I can just use it to watch all of HxH again, which is invaluable.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    So Crunchyroll is good for HxH and JoJo? I thought you mentioned weird translation errors for one of them. I'll look into the PS4 app.

I hardly watch anime on Netflix (apart from the good ones), but we still use it for a lot of other stuff. And I would find it hard to leave oitnb behind, for all it's flaws it's my favourite show to watch when I'm down.
    Watching anime here is too complicated, as I think Hulu also has some shows, and then HBO is gonna do the Ghibli movies.

• Crunchy Roll has an issue with JoJo where it's the official licensed version, and because of that they can't say things like Bad Company so you get a stand being called WORSE COMPANY instead. It's kind of hilarious though, as the Japanese VAs don't have to worry about that, so you can hear them say the right names int he background. NOTORIOUS B.I.G in part 5 becomes Notorious Chase.

In fact Part 5 is so bad I sent a list of all the English translations to Reg once to see if he could guess them. Six Bullets, Zipper Man, Li'l Bomber, Thankful Dead, Fisher Man, Sanctuary, Green Tea... haha, wild stuff.
  • Death Note is now on Netflix. The only anime series I’ve ever watched all the way through.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Up to the last 4 volumes of Dorohedoro. I'm gonna miss this bunch. Including the devil worshipers. And the devils.

The latest Viz translation of Diamond is Unbreakable came out and was devoured. Kira is foreshadowed towards the end and I'm told DiU really picks up once he gets going. Hopefully he can somewhat fill that Dio shaped hole.
  • Finished One Punch Man, or at least everything they’ve got on Netflix. Moved on to JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure which is pretty weird but fun so far (3 eps).

Also been working my way through DBZ Kai with the boy. It’s probably slightly on the not-really-age-appropriate side of things, but I just bloody love it and I’m enjoying the shared experience.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Ah I didn't realise Dorohedoro only finished relatively recently a couple of years back. Kind of makes sense now why Chidaruma had a Ninty Switch on his bedroom floor.
  • Ghost in the Shell SAC_2045 is up on Netflix.

Watched the first two episodes
  • I watched the first episode. It doesn't seem good so I probably won't bother watching any more.

The animation style is stinking and that also puts me off a lot. It reminds me of those terrible cartoons from the early 2000s that tried to be fully CGI but just looked rotten.
  • The the two original SAC series are also sooo good, though they seem determined to piss in the well.

Have you been watching anything else Frosty? Me and Ev started One Piece, and I've been catching up on a few chapters of the Manga here and there. I love Oda's art so much.
  • Frosty wrote:
    I watched the first episode. It doesn't seem good so I probably won't bother watching any more.

The animation style is stinking and that also puts me off a lot. It reminds me of those terrible cartoons from the early 2000s that tried to be fully CGI but just looked rotten.

Yeah it’s like a game cutscene from ps2
  • Tempy wrote:
    The the two original SAC series are also sooo good, though they seem determined to piss in the well.

Have you been watching anything else Frosty? Me and Ev started One Piece, and I've been catching up on a few chapters of the Manga here and there. I love Oda's art so much.

Nothing new. I wanted to watch GitS SAC over the weekend but I think I left the dvds at my dad's so finished up season 3 of Castlevania instead. I know it's not technically anime but it looks like anime so I'm counting it. Really enjoyed that and looking forward to where it goes in s4.

I did also start One Piece again from the beginning when it popped up on Crunchyroll recently but that's about it. I didn't really remember to much of the first few arcs so it was nice to see the move from East blue into the grand line again. I'm at Alabasta now and my interest is waining a little bit so might move onto to something else.

So far the big takeaway has been a reminder that Usopp is hilarious and they do the "waiting for goku" thing a lot in the early arcs.

What chapters are you catching up on? His art is always great but his take on feudal Japan in the current arc has been especially good.

I just worked it out and I've been reading one piece every week since thriller bark 13 years ago. That's bananas.

• I never read OP before, so i’m going chronologically - nearing the end of Skypiea. i’ve got a lot to go.
  • I've kept up with the 'Piece comicbook sort of, will leave it for months/years at a time and then binge a load. It's never become too serious shonen business ever, which is why I keep going back. Like even the Sad Bits are usually skewered by the knowing overemoting. Give or take a hyperidealised boob, it's a sound mainstream product.
    I do worry they'll keep making them and work the grunts to death though, labour practices inna Jaypann are less than great.
  • I think Oda genuinely enjoys making it, and could probably just carry on until he drops without ever regretting it, though given the state of the story at the moment it does feel like they are circling a conclusion of sorts. It does explain why the anime is absolute dross at times, Toei and the other two sponsors need it to run all year round to capitalise on the huge interest in the manga so the grunts never get a day off. It’s a shame because it’s benefit from better animation and tighter arc compression.

I think it works so well cos it avoids so many typical shonen pitfalls - it’s like a less cynical and introverted HxH in that it jumps from one plot beat to the next really naturally and there’s never a need to set the slate back to zero as they’re sailing around. Plus, like HxH and yer JoJo etc it’s stupidly inventive and all of it’s characters feel like they have twists on the cookie cutter stuff, even if One Piece’s are often just dumb stuff like an assassin who is deathly afraid of bread etc.

Anyway how do you feel about Oda naming the coolest crew member after you?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Only thing I know about OP is apparently some big bad Lava dude should have died at Marineford and Oda is a coward according to a slighted source.
  • That was 10 years ago, that’s some grudge to bear
  • Tempy wrote:
    Anyway how do you feel about Oda naming the coolest crew member after you?

I don't mind the acknowledgement.
  • I've run out of episodes of the current arc of One Piece so Ive decided to start Haikyu which I think Tempy recommended. It's about high schoolers playing volleyball.

I've watched the first episode and it seems dope, there's already been some real nice slow mo jumping.

Anyone got any recommendations for some new series? Stuff that is in its first series?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!