Streets of Rage 4 - The Grandest Upper - Out now!
‹ Previous123456721
  • This has started to feel like a big deal in recent months as more features have been revealed - 12 characters, new and retro visuals and soundtrack, battle mode, online and local co-op, etc. And, well, it's a whole new Streets of Rage. A proper old school scrolling beat 'em up with modern detail and polish.

It really seems Lizard Cube (who previously did the Wonder Boy 3 remake) have gone all out with this. And it's due next week.

• acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Obligatory FREE ON GAMEPASS FROM LAUNCH post
  • Looking forward to this.
  • It has couch coop right?
  • So hyped for this.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    It has couch coop right?
    It has everything.

I think maybe 2p couch, 4p online. Or is it the other way around?
  • Amazing :D

I actually bothered watching the bottom video you posted. Definitely 4 player local, I think it may be just 2 player online. Not quite sure why.
  • Does this kind of game even play ok anymore? They got repetitive quick in 90s, somehow seems they’ll feel worse now.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I regularly give the original 3 a blast if I'm looking for something mindless.
    I find they are still good fun for couch coop as well. If I have mates over they work well as something to do while having beers as everyone knows how to play them.

I wouldnt want to spend 120 hours on this but it should be good for what it is. SoR always had that little bit more depth as well, some of them that use just 2 buttons are indeed incredibley repetitive.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Does this kind of game even play ok anymore? They got repetitive quick in 90s, somehow seems they’ll feel worse now.

It's a good question. I play Streets of Rage 2 and enjoy it but there's definitely a nostalgia hit when I do and I probably can't differentiate tbh. Sure they're a bit derivative but like Liv says there was always a bit more depth there than say something like Final Fight. I guess time will tell.

My only hope is they don't make it too deep. I don't want any FADC shenanigans for example.

I also hope it sells a shit load to tempt SEGA to revisit some other past glories. Eternal Champions 3 anyone?

Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Make it faster and put in FADC shenanigans and stuff and I’m in. A 2D Bayonetta would be awesome.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Don't fuck with it too much pls Lizard Cube. These games are supposed to do what they do.

Shinobi 4 next pls.
  • I like Floyd's trailer.

Got this on order from LRG.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Don't fuck with it too much pls Lizard Cube. These games are supposed to do what they do.

Shinobi 4 next pls.

Yeah this.
    I dont want this to be a Platinum game, they make enough games. It has been 25 years since the last SoR it doesnt need to he anything else but SoR.
    If people dont want that, cool, there are a whole bunch of other games to play.
  • Before this covid shit took off a mate of mine since high school cameover to visit since we hadnt seen each other for 5 years while I was interstate.

We played SoR2 like it was only yesterday.

That game is endlessly replayable. If SoR4 is half that game it will be fine.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • I am so excited yet so afraid the secret sauce might be tampered with. Keeping the faith though. Can't wait to finally play it.
  • I just did a run on SoR3. Just on easy, I got to Robot X. Managed to beat Bruce before Roo so Inwas playing as Roo after the first continue.

So much fun.
  • You may know this Liv and I don't know what your playing it on, but the Pal and US version of SoR3 were made rock hard. The Japanese Bare Knuckle 3 is much easier plus plus has loads of sections that were cut from the Western releases including the mini boss Ash.

If you have the 360 collection you can chose to play BK3 over the western release.

https://tcrf.net/Streets_of_Rage_3/Regional_Differences

Just reading through the above I didn't know that Ash was playable:
    If the player holds A when Ash is defeated and loses a continue later on, Ash will be playable from the continue menu
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Eric wrote:

My only hope is they don't make it too deep. I don't want any FADC shenanigans for example.
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Make it faster and put in FADC shenanigans and stuff and I’m in. A 2D Bayonetta would be awesome.

You can’t please all of the people all of the time.
  • I love the name Bare Knuckle.

Re: How it plays. I still dip in to SoR now and then and it plays well. Looks like they've added a fair bit into the movesets for this and the more I've seen the more impressed I've been. I've even come around to Axel's new look and the animation style as a whole has certainly grown on me. 

The sound track sounds good from what I've heard and the fact you can opt to play with the old music is a huge boon too.

latest?cb=20200105233356

300?cb=20200105234321
  • Zan get still get fucked, obviously.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Axel finally looks the hobo we all knew he was.
  • Retro sprites always look shit unless the backgrounds and enemy sprites change too.

SSFII: TURBO HD REMIX had the same problem when people used classic sprites.

Still will almost certainly be a day one purchase. Two kids have been loving SoR 2 and 3 on the Mega Drive Mini, so this will blow their minds.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Can't get away with Axel's strides being at half mast.
  • Is this cross platform? Probably not right?
  • I'm happy for all manner of complications to be added strategy wise but these games need to be short. Sor2 just about gets it right but I do still feel there's a little too much padding. The streets of rage freeware game from a few years back is brilliant but way too big. I don't think it's a game style that lends itself to over exposure.
    SFV - reddave360
  • This hasn't got any of the RPG elements that some recent games in the genre have. River City Girls was stretched out to about 10 hours, with upgrades and levelling up, and it was a real bore.

This has unlockable characters and additional game modes for longevity, which seems to be a much better approach.
  • You're... Reviewing it?!

Jon. Jon. Talk to me. We don't need no heroes here. Just talk... Talk...
  • JonB wrote:
    This hasn't got any of the RPG elements that some recent games in the genre have. River City Girls was stretched out to about 10 hours, with upgrades and levelling up, and it was a real bore.2

This has unlockable characters and additional game modes for longevity, which seems to be a much better approach.

I'm on board so. Rough idea of playthrough time?
    SFV - reddave360
  • I don't think it's much longer than the old games. More levels, but they're a bit shorter than before.

There are new tweaks and features that add depth, but it's still very much SoR.
‹ Previous123456721

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!