regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    So what game console, hardware, controller, have you fantasised in your head that is from a while ago, that you go back to and it's absolutely not what you wanted?

For me, it's this fucker.

41zGo4r1lrL._AC_SX466_.jpg we went back a few weeks ago for W101, me playing some Zelda, and most importantly, Game and Wario. God damn it it feels the most fisher price ass plastic. Absolute fanboy helmet on me in 2012 here because there's nothing about this that feels positive apart from knowing it won't break.

Shout out to the megadrive I dropped on the floor last week from about 2 feet that has no damage and still works.

Anyway, over to you guys.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Nothing for me here cos I'm not a fanboi
  • Bad Nostalgia (Shite Return)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Damn I just got done the dirty.
  • A while back I found an n64 in the attic. Went through all the hassle to get a TV cable that worked. Booted up goldeneye and mario64. Going back to an sd state was tricky but it was the controller that shocked me. Awful feel, clunky and obviously goldeneye felt very odd compared to modern controls.

Switched it off and subsequently Sold it. Never go back.
    SFV - reddave360
  • The wiiU still gets some regular love in Daddy’s house, although The Boy generally uses the ScreenPad. It’s pretty ergonomic to be fair, I find it quite comfortable.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • The Bluetones - Slight Return

Ehhhh, I dunno, probably the 360 Wireless Steering Wheel, the floaty wheel you just hold and turn and the spirit level inside it turns the car in game. I mean, who what why where how? The fucking point of it?

I mean, I didn't pay for it but I was still massively disappointed, and I think thats worse.

Edit: this fucker
    microsoft-xbox-360-wireless-steering-wheel_100351830_m.jpg

MS were high as a kite off Kinect fumes eh
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    What about when [Deleted user] flounced and we missed them and then they came back and it turned out they still some shite?
  • But nobody missed Gonzo...
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Dreamcast Controller.

Utterly shitty squeaky controllers. VMU batteries that last  week tops. Useless analogue stick (and only one ffs) and the cord is too short and comes out the wrong end.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Fair.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Let's not forget the original Japanese Dreamcast controllers with the design flaw in the triggers that meant they'd break if you applied too much pressure to them. Oh how I laughed when I managed to completely fuck two pads in one weekend when Sega Rally launched. :-/
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    Dreamcast Controller.

Utterly shitty squeaky controllers. VMU batteries that last  week tops. Useless analogue stick (and only one ffs) and the cord is too short and comes out the wrong end.

Yeah. I hate to admit it but that controller is fucking Garbo. I love to feel it in my hands (oo er) but in practise it's awful.

Compared with the first Xbox controller, despite the size, man that was a good feel.
  • The potato pad/duke is fine. Or it was then; havent tried it out for a decade.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Wii u zombie u is still killer.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    Wii u zombie u is still killer.

It is indeed. The controller is just a fuckin fluff.
  • WiiU Pro controller is lovely though, and the battery lasts forever.
  • It was.

I used the Pro whenever I could, I was always annoyed when a game forced you to use the Gamepad.

I only have 4 games on it now, hopefully they'll see a re-release on the Switch so I can sell it and forget it ever existed.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I get rid of my old consoles and never go back so everything is great
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I love everything I have ever bought*

There are some 2600 games I wouldn't go back to but there are plenty I still play.

Some PAL ports are shocking going back to them though...pretty unplayable without modding or upgrading to NTSC.

Try PAL Sonic 1 - it's a fucking horrorshow.

* except for the 8bit micro era - a fucking shambles . I even knew it at the time and it almost put me off gaming for good. I would never ever even think about going back to that - even emulating apart from Jet Set Willy 2, Chuckie Egg and Thrust - everything else would be a waste of my time.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I get rid of my old consoles and never go back so everything is great

Me too. Unspoilt by progress.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    I get rid of my old consoles and never go back so everything is great

Me too. Unspoilt by progress.

We are getting there. Poppo, able to pick up a TV?
  • There arent bad bits of kit by any means but I havent really ever got much use out of my handhelds except for Pokemon Blue and Silver.

Gameboy
    Game Gear
    GBC
    GBA
    GBA SP
    DS LITE x2
    3ds
    New 3Ds XL
    PSP

Barely played on any of them really. Luckily I got most second hand. Worst was the GBA though because I traded in some N64 games that would be worth dollar now. I had a minty fresh Conker.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I got shiteloads out of my psp by turning it into an emulator and playing batman returns on the SNES
  • I did the emulator thing for a short while. Then I moved house and the analogue stick snapped off during the move and the battery cover took a pasting.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Poppo, able to pick up a TV?

I can’t promise. Still well and truly obeying lockdown protocol here.

I reckon it’ll still be another month at least before we’re considering a trip through your way. Dunno how that sits with your timeline, what with you having a pretty fixed date to be rid of it.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I got shiteloads out of my psp by turning it into an emulator and playing batman returns on the SNES

Yeah, my PSP's full of garbage emulation stuff, and now my Vita is as well.  Fired it up a couple of times over the last year or so and have been pretty disappointed.  The UI's shit, it's got no games (except 6 billion Spectrum and SNES ones I put on it), and I can't remember why it seemed so desirable at the time.
  • Elmlea wrote:
    Yeah, my PSP's full of garbage emulation stuff, and now my Vita is as well.  Fired it up a couple of times over the last year or so and have been pretty disappointed.  The UI's shit, it's got no games (except 6 billion Spectrum and SNES ones I put on it), and I can't remember why it seemed so desirable at the time.

Woah, woah, woah. Now, hold up a darn minute. PSP was a banger. 

Fancy some Lumines? Bish!
    How about a dose of Loco Roco? Bash!
    The first portable MoHan? Bosh!
    The 2nd best Metal Gear game - Peacewalker? Wham!
    Great games with long titles e.g. What Did I Do to Deserve This, My Lord? Bam!
    Stripped down versions of big IPs - God of War, Killzone, GTA? Thank you, mam.
    And then, that screen was made for WipEout Pure. 

I rest my case.
  • Absolutely, it WAS a banger!  I *adored* Lumines, I remember buying Wipeout on launch day, and Everybody's Golf was my favourite Game To Play In The Bath (TM) for ages.  But returning to it now, it's shit; even the Vita's not ticking any boxes for me.
  • Elmlea wrote:
    Absolutely, it WAS a banger!  I *adored* Lumines, I remember buying Wipeout on launch day, and Everybody's Golf was my favourite Game To Play In The Bath (TM) for ages.  But returning to it now, it's shit; even the Vita's not ticking any boxes for me.

Fair enough - haven't picked it up in some time, so wouldn't be fair of me to disagree on that point, really. I imagine that analogue nub might not be as usable as I remember...
  • No, it's a terrible thing.  The PSP's aged really badly, and I worry the Vita's going the same way. Just doesn't seem as nice a thing to have in your hands anymore.  New lease of life through CFW and emulation sure (and it's a great screen for ScummVM), but critically, I enjoyed the mechanics and troubleshooting of cracking the firmware and getting emulation set up more than I enjoy playing emulated games on it now!
‹ Previous123

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!