Just completed
  • Man, Chinatown wars musta had a shitload of content.
  • Volgarr the Viking. Tremendously challenging and entertaining. Best 89p I've ever spent.
  • Wheels of Aurelia. 1 ending of 16 apparently. 

Freebie on Epic. 

Super Indie styles. Cute look, great music, barely passable gameplay, rough as guts translation for a dialogue tree based game. (Basic trees, thankfully.)

Good for a curio and done in about 20 minutes.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    When was/is that free? I'm normally good at checking but think I missed it somehow :-(
  • Just missed it. Last week.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    1024.3meme.ls.103112_copy.jpg
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    South Park: The Fractured But Whole. Apart from co-op runs through the halos and endless sessions of Rocket League, this has been the only game to really grab me for a while. Not quite as fun as Stick of Truth but still thoroughly enjoyable and really hooked the completionist in me so ended up finishing all the side quests and collectibles.

The writing is sharp and there's surprising depth to the combat and character builds, plenty of unlocks/upgrades and new team members to learn. I still wasn't really bored by the end so tempted to pick up the DLC but also feel like I should dig into more of my PoS.

Can be found for £15 or less anyway and well worth that for anyone interested.
  • If you go for the DLC either look for a complete pack for a good price or stick to the two story packs.
    Bring the Crunch is decent enough but From Dusk to Casa Bonita was my favourite bit of DLC. It genuinely made me laugh a fair bit and offered a new class and character which were both good.

The other DLC isnt really worth it. Danger Deck is just more battles so unless you love the battle system and would play it sans story I wouldnt bother.
    The Towelie guide is pretty funny, just a hints system but presented by Towelie so fairly fucked up. Only worth having if you want to replay the game though.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Nice one, Liv. Probably wouldn't go for battles alone so will be sure to check the details of the packs.

There were a good few times I lolled in the main game and plenty of others that raised a smirk. Probably one of the things that kept me engaged in hindsight.
  • Yeah neither of the two games are good enough on their own, they are fully reliant on the South Park writing.
  • 4. Doom Eternal (Xbox One) - 30/4 - c25hrs
    Bigger, better and more badass!  Wait, wrong shooter series...
    I liked this more than the first.  Mainly due to what I think are better designed levels.  Pacing is great and the combat encounters are as frantic and adrenaline pumping as ever.  A couple of weak boss fights aside, there isn't much to complain about here.

After I finished the campaign, I went back via mission select and mopped up collectibles and just enjoyed whooping ass while dashing and jumping around and bathing in the glory (kills).  So satisfying.  Started the Extra Life Mode for the final campaign achievement but I think that'll be too much.

Would play again in the future, but for now I'm done.
    [9]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Fractured Minds (PC).  Very short, but a couple of interesting mental health bits within.  No invert mouse though :cry:.  [6].
  • 5. Streets for Rage 4 (Xbox One) - 6/5 - 3hrs??
    Never played a SoR before, but it really is quite possibly the best beat ‘em up around. But that’s not saying much. This is one for the retro heads. Cos it’s amazing how far games have come and how unenjoyable these retro games can be. 

SoR4 was enjoyable in some parts but I just found the whole experience a bit frustrating. Too many enemies with insta-moves, getting trapped between attacks, being bounced from one attack to the other, getting rushed - cancelling moves into a dodge or something like that would’ve done wonders. Other little frustrations too spoil the game. I was also disappointed there were no stages in a different style to break up the repetition like a chase sequence or something.

Still, thankfully I didn’t pay for it , it was on Game Pass. I’ll mark it up a notch for that. 
    [6]
  • 7. Vanquish (Xbox One) - 10/5 - 5.5hrs
    Hard mode done! That was awesome. Even better than on normal. I have more playthroughs in me but I’ll give it a little break. What a game!
    [9]
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Yes mate.
  • Saw the credits roll on Doom: Eternal last night. Overall I enjoyed it, but I think I liked the simplicity of Doom 2016 more. It’s an absolutely cracking game, but 2016 was a genuine surprise and I’m not sure that the additions to the combat in Eternal improved the mechanics of the games - they perhaps diminished them?

I’m fine with the glory kills for health again, but the decision to make armour linked to a flame-thrower and to change the chainsaw to a regular use item for ammo, was a bit strange to me. I guess this was all to accommodate the sword, but in the end I think it just made the number of options (plus the number of buttons) too great.

Despite the increase in options, the player is however very restricted in what they can do at the higher difficulty levels, as the combat system has a rock, paper, scissors approach to enemies - meaning you have to dispatch them in the way the game wants you to. Nothing sums that up more than the enemies that take the game’s logic to the extreme (here’s looking at you Marauder).

Visually, the game is incredible though and I’d certainly return to another Doom in this style in the future.
  • Plague tale: Innocence (GamePass w10)
    At first I thought it was a realistic indie walking sim with stealth bits but it turned out it was something more akin to thief/mgs. It starts out as a tale of the inquisition in medieval France but suddenly there's rats and the plague involved and an inquisitor who wants to become the ultimate rat king (wut?). Yes, there's lots of fantastical elements here but still an enjoyable romp. Acting is fantastic, Sean Bean has a small part even though his character gets offed in the usual manner (Stop doing that Sean!). Visuals are fantastic for an indy title, assets are full of life (death?) and detail. Gameplay is centered around stealth but later on you can go completely gung ho with your main weapon the sling. At the end of the game you'll be capable enough to clear towns and castles full of religious zealots without even breaking a sweat..

Solid 8/10 if there ever was one.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Syph79 wrote:
    Saw the credits roll on Doom: Eternal last night. Overall I enjoyed it, but I think I liked the simplicity of Doom 2016 more. It’s an absolutely cracking game, but 2016 was a genuine surprise and I’m not sure that the additions to the combat in Eternal improved the mechanics of the games - they perhaps diminished them? I’m fine with the glory kills for health again, but the decision to make armour linked to a flame-thrower and to change the chainsaw to a regular use item for ammo, was a bit strange to me. I guess this was all to accommodate the sword, but in the end I think it just made the number of options (plus the number of buttons) too great. Despite the increase in options, the player is however very restricted in what they can do at the higher difficulty levels, as the combat system has a rock, paper, scissors approach to enemies - meaning you have to dispatch them in the way the game wants you to. Nothing sums that up more than the enemies that take the game’s logic to the extreme (here’s looking at you Marauder). Visually, the game is incredible though and I’d certainly return to another Doom in this style in the future.

I preferred the last game too but I expect I'd play another one in a couple of years.  I sort of liked the Marauders in the end (not liked per se, but it's good to have a couple of 'oh no!' types in games like this), but thought the Arch-Viles lived up to their name.   Properly and fully hated them.
  • All you 2016 preferrers are everything that’s wrong with the world today
  • 8. Bayonetta (Xbox One) - 15/5 - 10hrs
    Yep. It’s still a [10] and the best game of its kind by a country light year. As if there was any doubt. PlatinumGames a go-go, baby. Insta-death QTEs can just fuck right off, though. Oh, and Gracious & Glorious. The cunts.
    [10]
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    HyperDot (Bone)

Great little indie game - bullet hell without the shooting basically.  Part memory, part reaction, great little package.  Have done the 100 main levels, which ramped the difficulty up nicely.  That's unlocked five bonus "impossible" levels, which I've done the first of, and there's also some endless play stuff.  Nicely presented, nice ideas, I think it's a muzz [9].

• Any muzzy review of games on Bone need 1 point docked as he now a spokesman for Microsoft.
  • Lol
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    The Missing: J.J. Macfield and The Island of Memories

It's a 2D plane platformer puzzler by Swery65 (Deadly Premonition, D4) where you have to intentionally dismember and brutalize your character to progress. A lift can't take your full weight? Find some spikes to sever a limb or two. Need a light source to navigate? Set yourself on fire and run through.

The catch is that J.J. feels all this. Every dismemberment knocks her flat with cries of pain and setting yourself on fire is probably the most blood curdling one for me. If you're a bit dense at figuring out some of the puzzles you'll be subjecting yourself to it more than you feel comfortable with.

She can take all this of course. Once you've made it past a challenge you can hold a button to regenerate her entire body if you need to. Makes for some great statistics you're presented with at the end such as "distance rolled as just a head" and "total weight of flesh regenerated".

The themes as you'd expect from above are heavy in the form of suicide and a later focus on identity and particularly gender identity. I don't think I have many relatable experiences to comment on a lot of it but it's really cool to see Swery trying to tackle this stuff at least.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    There's also quite a lot of conversations to read on J.J.'s phone that are some of the more convincing message chats I've read in games. Made me go back to find some bastard hidden collectible doughnuts just to get them all for closure.
  • 21. Assassin's Creed: Odyssey - Fate of Atlantis -12hours- 10/10-Xbox One X

One of the best bits of DLC I’ve played. Yes it’s all the same missions over and over again but the stunning worlds they built and the mythology present throughout is truly incredible. The extra abilities, armour types and features they put in were also terrific and I wish I’d have had them all the way through. However by this point Alexios is an Isu-Human hybrid and he’s well aware so I suppose it makes sense only now would he fulfil his potential.

I loved that and I’m quite sad my time with Alexios in Greece, Elysium, the Underworld and Atlantis is at an end.
  • Cuphead on the Switch. I liked this a lot. The boss levels are the obvious high, compared to the run and gun stages, but it was all worth playing. I though the penultimate stage was going to push me over the edge, but it made me a better player and I took that into the final fight. Excellent stuff.
  • Is the penultimate stage the dice throw one (a bit like a classic Gunstar Heroes stage)? It was that, the Queen bee and one of the flying stages that gave me the most trouble.
  • 23. Devil May Cry 2 HD - 5 Hours- 1/10-Xbox One X

Right now I’m thinking this is the worst game I’ve ever played. It looks awful, it’s slow, devoid of character, story, personality, but worse than all that, it has it all in the previous entry in abundance even if total silly nonsense. This is just absolutely awful in every single way. I will never, ever play that game again in my entire life. Absolutely bloody awful.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!