EvilRedEye's E3 Event (or 'E3' for short) - 9-11 June - concludes with Nintendo on 11 June at 7pm
‹ Previous123456726
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Coronavirus has robbed our community of our favourite live events this year with both Eurovision and E3 in the bin. Well I'm not going to stand for it any more! In the coronavirus-enforced absence of new content, a lot of communities are running group rewatches of things - so if we can't be relentlessly negative about a new E3, let's be relentlessly negative about an old one - specifically E3 2004.

Why 2004? It's the first E3 where the conferences are on YouTube in decent quality.

June 9, 5pm UK time - Xbox

June 10, 7pm UK time - Sony

June 11, 7pm UK time - Nintendo

What did the future of gaming promise in the summer of 2004? Let's find out... again.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    HYPE!
  • That DS looks shit. I’ll never buy one (or three).
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Super idea for a thread, will watch.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Nice one eye.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Has there been any MEGATONS yet?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Only megaton is me going to sleep right now at 2035
  • It's only been an hour since dinner. Let my megaton brew a bit, please.
  • So we all watch these presentations "live" at the appropriate times in June and comment on them?
    That could be good fun actually.

two thumbs up

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Electronic 3
  • Hosted by Evil rEd Ey3
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Can ERE do a pre-launch panel show for like three hours before the feeds go live?
  • I'm going to shout "wooooh" and "yeaaaahhh" at logos.
  • g.man wrote:
    So we all watch these presentations "live" at the appropriate times in June and comment on them?
    That could be good fun actually.

two thumbs up

g.man

I’m in.
  • Yay!
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Top 5 worst console launch campaigns...? This means the pr not the actual console itself.

I've got two but number one is with a fucking bullet

1) WiiU and the ending Nintendo land fire works
    2) Xbox one and Don Mattrick existing

• EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I remember people on here literally not being sure whether or not Wii U was just a fancy assessory for Wii.
  • You have to put PS3 in there. They were so few sold on day 1 they were giving out TVs with each purchase.
  • I kind of fee sorry for Xbox one launch. Their day one people were complaining about needing to the internet so often and now they are doing gang busters with gamepass.

Also their promise was so much more interesting to me than PS4 - quantum break while not the best was at least an interesting idea or use of a game.
  • Saturn?
    Fuck you retailers we be launching today.
  • You have to put PS3 in there. They were so few sold on day 1 they were giving out TVs with each purchase.

I assume you mean the UK launch here, because it sold out in Japan and USA. In the UK it didn't sell out, but that was only because it was the biggest console release in history thanks to the several month delay allowing Sony to manufacture enough to exceed demand and keep the console in stock.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    You have to put PS3 in there. They were so few sold on day 1 they were giving out TVs with each purchase.
    I assume you mean the UK launch here, because it sold out in Japan and USA. In the UK it didn't sell out, but that was only because it was the biggest console release in history thanks to the several month delay allowing Sony to manufacture enough to exceed demand and keep the console in stock.

Hmm, I thought it did sell out, because I picked mine up off the internal ebay thing at my workplace at the time
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Just a quick reminder to keep this in your diaries. First one is Xbox on 9 June at 5pm.
  • :D
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Just to whet your appetite for tomorrow, I thought we'd look at the run-up to E3 2004 and look at the one platform that didn't have a full-on presentation.

The story so far...

E3 had something of a fallow year in 2003, with little in the way of hardware announcements (with only the surprise announcement of Sony's PSP and its EyeToy accessory for PS2) and with a software line-up that has also come to be poorly remembered. Nintendo notably disappointed, with Pac-Man Vs being the main announcement for the GameCube, birthing the following deadpan reaction meme:

Nintendos-history-at-e3-2003-20110511105550428.jpg?width=1920

Xbox also disappointed Eurogamer, with early showings of Halo 2 and PGR2 but apparently little else. Sony fared a little better with the aforementioned announcement of the PSP generating some excitement, but disappointed some by failing to bring Shadow of the Colossus to the show, at the time still codenamed Nico. Eurogamer were also decidedly unimpressed with the details that emerged relating to Nokia's upcoming N-Gage, describing its price point of £249 as 'suicidal' expressing bemusement with a cringey rap performance accompanying the presentation and the extraordinarily low framerate of its games.

With E3 2003 generally disappointing then, was the stage set for E3 2004 to rebound with exciting and impressive news? 

Nokia N-Gage

The fourth platform holder at E3 2004 was Nokia, with its new N-Gage hybrid phone and portable console. The N-Gage was announced in 2002 as a competitor for Nintendo's Game Boy Advance, containing smartphone and 3D capabilities that were beyond Nintendo's handheld.

The console immediately failed to gain an impact in the market. It was expensive and riddled with design flaws - the battery had to be removed to change a game, the screen was portrait orientation and thus not ideal for games but the form factor also made the device awkward to use as a phone as it had to be held horizontally for calls (earning the derogatory nickname 'sidetalking'). As a phone, it could also not be used to pass time on a plane flight.

Sales were devastatingly poor, particularly in the US and UK where combined sales appear to have been little more than 5000 units in the launch window, and with ELSPA dropping it from its UK sales charts in 2005 stating the device was "of little interest to anyone [and has] failed to make any impact on the market at all". The device was discontinued in 2005 and the last game released in 2006.

While there is no E3 2004 press conference to watch, here are some N-Gage videos from E3 2003-2005.

Skip to 3:35 for this one:

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Tomorrow!!!
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Less than one hour to go! Be ready to press play on the Xbox video in the OP at bang on 5. And just to clarify, we're watching the introductory trailers that play before the press conference as well, so don't worry about needing to skip etc. when the video kicks off with some trailers.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm ready
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    So is my body
  • Im at the park dodging toddlers on wheeled devices but I'll be back in time.
  • Oh man I'm on childcare duties which means cooking dinner at that time :(
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
‹ Previous123456726

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!