Just completed
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Is the penultimate stage the dice throw one (a bit like a classic Gunstar Heroes stage)? It was that, the Queen bee and one of the flying stages that gave me the most trouble.

That’s the one. I spent a lot of time learning how to get the best dice roll (health, or clear) and then how to beat the bosses too. Doing 4 or 5 of them with just 3 hits is an absolute grind. By the time the actual Devil came along, I was in the zone and it only took another 30-45 minutes. Great game though.
  • Late into Thursday evening / Friday morning, I finished Control. Great game - easily in my top 5 things I’ve played this year.

Highlights were the story, minute to minute action, visuals and how Remedy kept throwing new tools at the player to help them progress.

Lowlights are few. Perhaps could’ve done with a clearer antagonist or some better variation in enemy designs - I think the closer camera in Quantum Break helped with that, but you can understand why they pulled it back for this so you can see the environments more.

I’m glad Remedy are multi platform now.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    UnpuzzleR. Kinda fun enough, but nothing really new over the original. [7].
  • 24.Devil May Cry 3 HD - 10 Hours- 8/10-Xbox One X

Much better. A real sequel, if prequel, to the first game. Great looks, good characters again after absolutely no character in the last, and a batshit fun storyline. Liked the implementation of styles however thought the many weapons didn't really add anything and they could have made them more useful against certain enemies. But, aside from that it was pretty awesome.
  • That's the moon delivered then. Of course it ends with a sub-Eurovision Earth Song dirge. Wank.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Reads like an [8]
  • I lost a long post for some reason, so I’ll just say yes this time. It has its faults, but overall it’s worth playing.
  • Shame.  It reads like an [8] in my head then.  I loved it, might go back for the challenge mode soon.
  • I think the game’s limits are made by what it is - a pretty basic twin stick shooter. It does what it can to make the player think it isn’t that - by having you walk/fly from corridor to corridor, but you always end up in another kill room. As the game goes on, the difficulty increases and the rooms may be tighter or have obstacles, but it’s still just a twin stick shooter. A bit more variation in the game would’ve been good for me, or even in the enemy design. I’m thinking about how all those different shapes acted in Geometry Wars. It was enjoyable though and it says something that I made the point of finishing it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Saw end credits on Ring Fit this morning.

But is the quest for fitness ever truly over
  • Still need to start that.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Completed two games yesterday!  Go me.

Splasher (PC)

A @moot_geeza recommendation, which he called a [9] before backtracking to an [8].  I'm probably a harsh [7] instead, either that or a generous [8].  It's pretty good at its highs for sure, but the controls didn't consistently work for me - too fiddly with the different sprays, and even starting a level is kinda tedious.  And wind levels suck, obviously.  

Checkpointing was pretty fair though, challenge a nice pitch, speedrunning a nice option, extra dudes to rescue a nice top-up - so hell let's go [8] after all.

Sigils of Elohim (PC)

Pure-puzzle warm-up to Talos, to get me some bonus stars.  Pretty dull tbh, place tetrominos in a grid like 120 times.  Meh.  [5].  (And I've still not got enough stars to actually do anything with...)
  • Good good now try Flat Heroes and THOTH.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Only if you play HyperDot. Fair's fair.
  • I've played throigh the first world. Definitely on my to play list but I'll need to be in the right mood to tackle the tough bits.
  • It’s beautifully done, would sit perfectly on the switch
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    The Outer Worlds - [8] - 24hrs

Started better than it ended, but overall enjoyed the Fallout-a-like gameplay. Yeah a lot of fetch quests, but some if the decisions were genuinely tricky.
    Spoiler:

Gameplay was a bit unbalanced as the side quests made you very powerful by the time you are at the end game. But good length for me as an action RPG. Not a classic, but definitely better than Fallout 4.
  • Just finished RDR2

The UI is rubbish.  The collect infinite different things is grindy for the sake of grinding.  The challenges make no sense.  It's one of the best games I've played.  Astonishingly, insanely beautiful.  I got very emotional towards the end.  I will likely go back and play it through again in a different way in a year or so.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Way of the arsehole? I just can't do it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    The Talos Principle (PC)

Yeah, a very solid puzzler.  Only downside is that the various extra powers you get all come fairly early, so the last half of the game is riffs on exactly the same motifs.  Good riffs for sure, but until the very end nothing that new going on?  Still, made my brain hurt in a good way.

Briefly looked in at Gehenna, and it looks like that just starts you off with the same set?  Do you get any new things to play with in it, anyone know??

Still, regardless, it's at least an [8], and I think in fact a [9] given good length, stars I didn't get, etc. etc.  Odd that it nukes your savestate at the end (though maybe that's kinda part of the story, and you can restore backups easily enough).
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Gunpoint (PC)

Not quite sure how to describe it - mix of puzzle and stealth and point-n-click.  Fun enough I suppose, though it didn't really go that far with the ideas.  Like a [7] maybe.  The plot was mildly amusing at points.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    The Outer Worlds - [8] - 24hrs

Started better than it ended, but overall enjoyed the Fallout-a-like gameplay. Yeah a lot of fetch quests, but some if the decisions were genuinely tricky.
    Spoiler:

Gameplay was a bit unbalanced as the side quests made you very powerful by the time you are at the end game. But good length for me as an action RPG. Not a classic, but definitely better than Fallout 4.

Hopefully this will drop to sub chalice prices soon on ps4
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Youropa (PC)

I enjoyed this.  A lot.  3D puzzler, beautiful to look at, inventive, lovely core mechanic that evolves well, good length, sensible challenge and empowermet as you progress.  Yes there are a couple of mis-steps along the way (insta-death slidey bits I'm looking at you... and the driving bits were meh, though some of the other bits of that ilk (which I shan't reveal) a nice bit of light relief).  But not enough to detract from the whole.  So I'm going [9].  Get on it folks!

• Forza Horizon 3

The credits rolled so I'm counting that as complete.
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Persona 5 - 110hrs(ish)

It’s a great game with a unique style all it’s own and a dopamine inducing combat feedback loop. The combat isn’t particularly complicated, test the bad guys, find a weakness, exploit and get that sweet kill. The hold up, weakness and critical animations are all what provide that gaming hit perfectly.

Outside of combat you have a LOT of pressing X to advance a pretty linear story, but choice about how and who you accomplish that with opens up as you progress with some nice side stories for each of the characters. It’s clear that you can’t progress all of the side stories which I assume is meant to encourage replay. But as much as I’ve enjoyed it I won’t be spending 100+ hrs replaying any game.

All of this is wrapped up in a game with the toppest of graphic design, animation and soundtrack.

A solid [9]
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    WHAT THE GOLF?  (PC)

Kind of mixed feelings.  Looks quite nice, creative in its mix of levels I suppose - but rarely that much fun, and its pastiches as often miss as hit?  [6].
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm sure Moot liked it more.  Which doesn't surprise me.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Gave it a [9] lol. Moran.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!