The Whisky thread
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Once you start buying litre bottles it's hard to go back to 70cl....
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • £55 for a litre of the 105 is a bargain, thanks for reminding me moot!
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Oh my lord, this rum is amazing.
  • Laphroaig Lore today. Stuntiest Islay I've ever stuck in my mouth, got a really sharp bitter briney medicinal thing going on on top of all the usual ashtray oil business. Really good fun.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I'm shocked you've never been approached by their marketing team.
  • My heart's not in it.
  • Woodford Reserve £20 delivered on the Amazon. Sold out but it's let me wang in an order.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Got a bottle of Brewdogs 500 Cuts 'Botanical Rum' yesterday. It's... Interesting. It certainly doesn't taste much like rum, but thankfully it tastes better than it smells - which is like cough mixture.

It is quite smooth though and there's a lot going on flavour wise.
  • Webbins wrote:
    Woodford Reserve £20 delivered on the Amazon. Sold out but it's let me wang in an order.

Ordered one, thanks.
  • Aye no worries. I'm assuming they'll honour it. Never bought off sale from Amazon before.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • The sherry cask Arran + bundles of ice is doing it for me this evening. I usually go for a drop of water in there but it's too hot so I've gone for a drinking it with cubes before they melt approach. Which is a recipe for drinking too quickly, which is also working for me today.
  • No stones?

Woodford getting delivered tomoz.
  • Got some of that Woodford coming tomorrow too, along with a bottle of Bruichladdich Original Laddie.

In the meantime, this Diplomatico is something else.
  • Webbins wrote:
    No stones?

Woodford getting delivered tomoz.

I've got them but last time I used my wife had sprayed them with Dettol or something as I presume they'd been on the floor at some point. Could've done with a rinse before going in the freezer imo.
  • I saw the thread for discount vouchers and thought it prudent to repeat my post here.  If anyone wants 20% off membership to the Scotch Malt Whisky Society (SMWS) then send me a message and I'll get a unique link.  I get a £20 quid voucher for the referral which will help feed my addiction.

I've just cracked a Jura 18 (non-SWMS) which they introduced as a replacement for the 16.  It's good but the 16 was one of my go to drams and they just ended it.  Such a shame.
  • Pseudoscot wrote:
    I saw the thread for discount vouchers and thought it prudent to repeat my post here.  If anyone wants 20% off membership to the Scotch Malt Whisky Society (SMWS) then send me a message and I'll get a unique link.  I get a £20 quid voucher for the referral which will help feed my addiction.

I've just cracked a Jura 18 (non-SWMS) which they introduced as a replacement for the 16.  It's good but the 16 was one of my go to drams and they just ended it.  Such a shame.

I'm not sure I understand the membership of the SMWS, beyond the stuff listed on their website. So once you've joined are you obligated to buy something every month?

In the meantime, got my bottle of Classic Laddie. It's so good.
  • Nah, you have to be a member to buy any of the bottles they release each month, but you aren't obligated to buy them. Membership also means you can drink in their various member lounges in Glasgow, Edinburgh, and London (as much use as that is at the moment) and you get a discount in various partner bars they have across the country and the world.

I've found membership to be great; with the monthly releases, all single cask and cask strength, there's always something new and interesting to eye up, and there are always a few that are more on the affordable end of the scale as well as pricier stuff if you're feeling flush. I bought a 31yo to open on my stag do with a lovely birthday discount they sent me. Of course the stag do has been cancelled, so it's just sitting gathering dust and teasing me from the shelf. Got to taste it in one of their bars a couple of months back though and it'll be worth the wait!
  • Woodford Reserve Rye for £34.99

Seems to be roughly a tenner off looking elsewhere.  Wanted to try another rye for ages, jumped at the chance and bought one for my dad too (as I've now finished the Shackleton I bought him for father's day).
  • While I'm here, Shackleton is a tenner off at £20 too.

I don't usually buy blends (nothing against them just not in my comfort zone), but it was very moreish.  Worth a chalice.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Isn't Woodford reserve usually under £30 in the supermarket?

Edit: I didn't see the Rye. Is it any good?
  • Never tried it, checked a few reviews and I'm hopeful.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Tried Jack Daniels Single Barrel Select.

OK but wouldn't pay full price.
  • If you are looking for a Rye then keep an eye out for Pikesville Rye.  It's out of the heaven hill distillery and is very, very good but a bit pricey.  Templeton Rye and Rebel Yell are better value for money.  I didn't get on with Lot 40 Rye though.  It had too many new make flavours, the rest of that bottle is going to end up cocktails for people I don't like much.
  • I bought some Jack Daniels Apple over the weekend.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Sazerac Rye is pretty tasty if you can get a bottle on the cheap.
  • Rittenhouse is the one I've always fancied but Bulleit rye is so good it's tough to push the boat out on a gamble.  Smacking my lips at Rebel Yell in another tab though.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Rittenhouse is the one I've always fancied but Bulleit rye is so good it's tough to push the boat out on a gamble.  Smacking my lips at Rebel Yell in another tab though.

A man after my own heart. Rittenhouse is lovely. My mate Tom has four bars in Bournemouth and it's the company's "house" rye, so I'm used to Bulleit being the bonus treat myself one, I can get why you might not pull the trigger on Rittenhouse if they're both on the same shelf, especially at similar prices
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I bought some Jack Daniels Apple over the weekend.

That's a pleasant enough tipple. I do believe it's recommended to be served warm but I've never tried that. The JD cinammon isn't bad either. There are some hideous cinammon drinks out there but this one is palatable.
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Rittenhouse is the one I've always fancied but Bulleit rye is so good it's tough to push the boat out on a gamble.  Smacking my lips at Rebel Yell in another tab though.
    A man after my own heart. Rittenhouse is lovely. My mate Tom has four bars in Bournemouth and it's the company's "house" rye, so I'm used to Bulleit being the bonus treat myself one, I can get why you might not pull the trigger on Rittenhouse if they're both on the same shelf, especially at similar prices

I tried to do a g.man and stockpile Bulleit when it was £20 on Amazon but I couldn't stop drinking it and now I've got none left.
  • davyK wrote:
    I bought some Jack Daniels Apple over the weekend.

That's a pleasant enough tipple. I do believe it's recommended to be served warm but I've never tried that. The JD cinammon isn't bad either. There are some hideous cinammon drinks out there but this one is palatable.

This was a way more serious a reply than I expected for what was a troll post :D.

Having said that it is quite nice - it’s a more subtle Apple flavour than I expected - not the Apple sour candy flavour I was expecting. My partner liked it too.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!