The Greatest Hit. RIP
  • Laughing Gnome always just puts me in mind of this. 

• regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yeah, I'm with Kaz, it was already nonsense at that point.

Modern Love tho.
  • Aye, Modern Love is a banger.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Listening to that and Absolute Beginners at the mo, and I'm struck by the description of Don Weller's saxophone solo from Beginners on Wikipedia...

"perhaps the best" saxophone solo in a Bowie song. They characterised it as "the sound of one man trying to violently expel his innards through the bell of his instrument" and "one of the most heartbreaking things put to record".

NAILED IT.
  • ...and if you've only ever heard the single version with the criminal fade-out, then you owe it to yourself to listen to the full eight minute version...

OH MY DAYS!
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Modern Love, what a tune, and another of my favourite covers, shame the original video isn't available anymore

"I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm happy to put weight behind modern love if there's a force
  • I’m having The Man Who Sold the World cos I fucking love it.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Can we have Michael Bolton next
  • Similarly, I'd have The Bewlay Brothers just because I like it. I've no idea if the critical consensus is thumbs up or thumbs down on that song.

Honourable mentions: Golden Years, Queen Bitch, Rebel Rebel, Teenage Wildlife, Always Crashing In The Same Car, John I'm Only Dancing, Be My Wife and his hair circa Station to Station/Low.
  • Jeez, David Bowie is hard. It won't win, but I'll throw in Little Wonder because it was from a period where he was maybe 'out of fashion', but showed that he could still rock.
  • I’m heartened to see so much love for Little Wonder. Genuinely felt like I was the only person who rated it when it came out. The traditional Bowie fans weren’t into his drum’n’bass excursion and Earthling was slated by much of the music press. The alternative kids all picked I’m Afraid of Americans as the standout from the album, and poor Little Wonder got kind of left out in the rain.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Little Wonder is my favourite Bowie song.
    Shout out to that era. Great song. Since it doesn't seem like many others are going to go past 1992 odd, I'll put this in alongside my pick of Afraid of Americans as a later era banger.

Earthling is a fucking brilliant album. Brilliant from start to finish.

x
  • As I came on board hard with BTWN, I went on a run of getting all of Bowie up until around Reality. Back when I actually paid cash money for cds and would spend $80 plus a month.

Little wonder is a cracker.

Gonna do Earthling, and a couple of early albums today. Finish with Blackstar.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • This is looking to be another inconclusive round, although I'm gonna let it go on for a good while longer anyway.

I'm thinking rather than just let it be undecided I might round up 3 to 5 solid contenders after another week and then have a poll on just those tracks. Thoughts?
  • The more Bowie the better.
  • For reference I've narrowed down my shortlist to only 2 hours.
  • Great idea liv, the duke deserves it. (production still meh though.)
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Some of us spent years listening to mp3's at 96Kbps Face, your FLAC is not for us.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    I’m heartened to see so much love for Little Wonder. Genuinely felt like I was the only person who rated it when it came out. The traditional Bowie fans weren’t into his drum’n’bass excursion and Earthling was slated by much of the music press. The alternative kids all picked I’m Afraid of Americans as the standout from the album, and poor Little Wonder got kind of left out in the rain.

You subtweeting H here
  • Typical emo lad, thinks it’s all about him.
  • Like I said before, I'm not Bowie superfan so I've mainly stuck to the classics but I've just started listening to Earthling for the first time ever and holy shit it's amazing. First two tracks are superb.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    If little wonder wins this it'll be the best outcome
  • Dave sucked after Let's Dance. This remains canon.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Dave sucked after Let's Dance. This remains canon.

You'll get fired out of a canon, ya heathen. Even if you don't like stuff generally after that, Blackstar is a classic.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    If little wonder wins this it'll be the best outcome

It's great, but I actually prefer at this point both Looking For Satellites and Seven Years in Tibet.
  • I watched Labyrinth today with the boy. What a class film that is.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I adore Labyrinth.
    Magic Dance sits higher on my Bowie list than is really warranted.
    Both because of Labyrinth and because there was a radio 1 show about ten years ago that I loved and the DJ used the instrumental as his background music to the chatter.
  • I think my three suggestions have all been mentioned but what the hell.

Like a lot of people I have a lot of love for Earthling and Little Wonder. Oddly, despite knowing a lot about Bowie it was this single and the album that actually got me into him. A thumping good track.

Once I started to delve deep, the next track that really struck me was Ziggy Stardust. Big and Bombastic, it's an old school track that stands the test of time. Also one of the few Bowie songs I regularly play on the old guitar. The main riff is lovely and feels great either coming from an amp or a big booming accoustic.

Last one is Ashes to Ashes. I think this might be his best single and its iconic as hell. I dont think you can get pop songs like this into the charts anymore. 

There are loads of other great tunes but I think if I was to give a top song to someone to turn them onto Bowie, it would be one of the above. And if I had to narrow it further, Ashes to Ashes. 

It's also worth saying, this is the best thing on youtube featuring Bowie
    SFV - reddave360

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!