Movie record 2020 edition
  • The Invisible Man
    Elisabeth Moss plays a victim who develops a spine of steel (again). It’s a clever update of the story but it’s fundamentally unpleasant.
  • Mamma Mia Here We Go Again

It's just pure happiness on film. Love every second of it
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Coyote Ugly
    It’s dumb, it’s loud, it’s sentimental claptrap. And I love every moment of it. One of John Goodman’s finest performances too.
  • 49. Ghidora, the Three-Headed Monster - 2 July
    Fun, but lacks depth. Just silly monsters fighting in a silly laughable way.
    [6]

50. Star Wars Ep III: Revenge of the Sith - 4 July
    Easily the best of the prequels, and on par with ep VI even. I liked it. CGI hasn’t aged well, looks terrible in places. And still has some stupidness, but so do all of the episodes.
    [7]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I wonder if Lucas still had control would he at some point have gone back in to update some of the CG.
  • American Animals
    I was pondering the complete lack of female characters until I realised it’s absolutely consistent with telling the story from the POV of four obsessive teenage boys.
  • 104. Ocean's 8
    Not sure why this didn't really land. I need to go back and watch 11 to see if it's just a style thing or what. I think it's because it's all a bit too light on story depth.
    [5]
  • 113. Resolution
    Odd, interesting but unconvincing, indie horror but not horror curio. Man imprisons addict friend in squat in a bid to clean him up, weird stuff happens. 6
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Make sure to watch the other 2 they've done. I like the level of quality they get out of very tiny budgets
  • Spring and The Endless btw. Just seen they have a newer one as well.

I also recommend watching The Battery if you're in the mood for more low budget horror stuff. It's a zombie film but a rather good one I thought.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Watched frozen 2 today - to do it like Webbs, "tepid sequel to a hard stone progenitor, felt like it melted half the way through" 6/10.
  • Spring and The Endless btw. Just seen they have a newer one as well.

I also recommend watching The Battery if you're in the mood for more low budget horror stuff. It's a zombie film but a rather good one I thought.

Noted. Have Endless in Netflix watchlist, saw it described as a spiritual sequel.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • The Old Guard
    Theron plays her immortal warrior queen as a hard-boiled hardass, and it works. A thoughtful action flick only let down by paper-thin clichéd bad guys.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I like Theron in most things so was willing to give it a go. This sounds more promising.
  • 51. Star Wars Ep VII: The Force Awakens - 11 July
    Yes, it’s by the numbers and plays it extremely safe and is just a mish mash of the first couple of films. But it’s also fun and watchable and sets things up well. I still like it.
    [8]
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yup I watched that again recently. Enjoyable.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Just because I'm still waiting on my dvd to be delivered despite having nothing to play it on, however I watch out at least twice a year because it's brilliant, fuck Hitchcock, this is the best movie ever

https://archive.org/details/FishStory
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • 22. A Personal History of David Copperfield
    Outstanding. Incredible cast, bravura performances, witty script, beautifully put together, every frame luminous and fizzing with life and energy. One of the best films I've seen in years. (10)
    Gamertag: gremill
  • The amount of wires that are involved in that illusion is probably more interesting than the effect itself. I've got the design documents for it somewhere. You can find them online.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • What is that?
  • David Copperfield... flying.
  • 'Flying'
  • Heh. It's an interesting tale tbh. The man that designed the illusion made the mistake of patenting it, so he could sell the exclusive rights to Copperfield. This was back in the early nineties, and the inventor failed to predict the rise of the internet. This of course enabled the great unwashed to easily search through inventions filed at the patents office, and the cat was out the bag. Consequently, illusions are now kept "secret" rather than patented. I dare say the guy made a bundle of money selling it to Copperfield, but once the exact details were revealed, the trick was dead in the water.
    It's an incredibly elaborate set-up of wires and gimbals controlled by computer, and it looks like this...
    Spoiler:
  • He is the king of cheese, but actually knowing how many wires are involved makes the presentation all the more impressive. It's easy to scoff quarter of a century later, and it's also easy now to see how the "tests" were just simple optical illusions, but this blew peoples minds back in the day. Must have taken an insane amount of rehearsal.
  • Like most magic once you know it is glaringly obvious but it is all about the performance really.
    It also helps that back then nobody questioned wearing a jumper 4 sizes too big.

Copperfield still must have been absolutely ripped to pull it off.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Jery get magic trick from ipad
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    I can see how none of the hoops ever actually go over the top of him, but how does the cabinet part work?
    Spoiler:
  • Spoiler:
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Now I see it... The gaps at the sides are actually visible when the camera roams around the back, but the presentation is so good due to who knows how much rehearsal that these things are easy to miss. The riskiest element seems to be the inclusion of the bird of prey which could have got itself tangled in the wires (I'm assuming that the woman is a stooge?).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!