The Greatest Guitarist of All Time Bracket. May (lol) Madness. Elite 8. Red Dave xoxoxox
  • Checked the others, All ok.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • This fucking guy.
  • Where the fuck are Slava and Leonard Grigoryan?

Anyone brave enough to do Bach with guitar should romp this.

Alternatively, John Petrucci.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Good shout, in a similar vein could I add props to Dave Knudsen, covering both O Fortuna and Rock Lobster in the same sets is ballsy to say the least
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Facewon wrote:
    Lq6nblk.png

Bottom Half for Voting.

Bettencourt
    Robertson (this hurts)
    Richards
    Townsend
    Zappa
    Vaughan
    Beck
    Guy.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Santana
    White
    Richards
    Allman
    Zappa
    Vai
    Satriani
    Gilmour
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    What's going on here? Where's Hendrix gone? Is there another piece missing or something?
  • Aye, it's all getting very confusing.

Santana
    Robertson
    Richards
    Townshend
    Iommi
    Vai
    Satriani
    Gilmour
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Santana
    Robertson
    Richards
    An Allman Brother (tough call)
    Zappa
    Ray Vaughan
    Beck
    Gilmour
  • Kow wrote:
    What's going on here? Where's Hendrix gone? Is there another piece missing or something?

There are four groups in this round. We voted for two groups last time, now we're voting for the other two.
  • Krs knows. I'll post full bracket today.
  • txasNS0.png
  • 4 votes so far. Could I have a few more this week before we get to the rest.
  • Santana
    Robertson
    Richards
    Allman

Iommi
    Vaughan
    Beck
    Gilmour
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Santana
    White
    Richards
    Duane Allman

Zappa
    Vaughan
    Beck
    Gilmour
  • Hendrix is winning this, shut it down.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Well we knew that from the start. It's about the journey, maaaan.
  • Is there any footage of Hendrix playing acoustic? I'd be interested to see/hear. Acoustic guitar is what everyone should start on, and it's the end game too, even if you don't realise it when you start.
  • Come with g if you want to live...
  • Nice.

Funnily enough, after the Clapton mentions I went back and listened to 24 nights again. It's very good. The straight blues in the middle is mostly skippable, but the rest is pretty great. Given it 3+ relistens so far last few days.

• nick_md wrote:
    Acoustic guitar is what everyone should start on, and it's the end game too, even if you don't realise it when you start.

Ugh. Piffle. This is the MTV Unplugged/Radio 1 Live Lounge way of thinking and a personal bugbear of mine; that acoustic instruments are somehow more pure, more honest, than electric whose noise and FX cover up mistakes, as if the whole point were simply to impress anyway. Neither instrument is any more or less worthy and musical than the other. Oil painting isn't more artistic than digital painting; stop motion more cinematic than CGI; running more of a sport than driving a race car. And there is no endgame. [/animalhouseacousticguitarsmash.gif]
  • Hey I don't mind electric, I just see the acoustic guitar as the original and, for me, best form of the instrument. It doesn't need anything else, just you and your guitar. I don't necessarily think it's more impressive / musical, that depends on each player right? It will also depend a lot on what kind of music you want to play, in fact that's got to be the biggest factor; when I started learning I was v.much into 60s rock and psychedelia, so got an electric a year or so after buying my first acoustic. These days I'm all about that country and blues, so the acoustic it is.

Also, flippant post was flippant :)

I did not mean to personally slight you, Krs!
  • Sometimes YouTube just randomly throws the most glorious stuff at you. This is just lovely...
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • nick_md wrote:
    Hey I don't mind electric, I just see the acoustic guitar as the original and, for me, best form of the instrument. It doesn't need anything else, just you and your guitar. I don't necessarily think it's more impressive / musical, that depends on each player right? It will also depend a lot on what kind of music you want to play, in fact that's got to be the biggest factor; when I started learning I was v.much into 60s rock and psychedelia, so got an electric a year or so after buying my first acoustic. These days I'm all about that country and blues, so the acoustic it is. Also, flippant post was flippant :) I did not mean to personally slight you, Krs!

Sorry; you triggered one of my unwarranted, well-worn rants. I went to school with someone who maintained that a proper guitarist ought to sing as well. The number of singer/guitarists in this thread has been threatening to bring that one out of me too.
  • The whole signal chain process of using an electric is sufficiently rich in nuance and variety to make it a rewarding and challenging space in its own right. Proficiency with six strings alone doesn't really take you too far. I started with acoustic because it was there, but moved off quickly.
  • I was triggered by Nick's Willie chat fwiw.
  • Brooks wrote:
    The whole signal chain process of using an electric is sufficiently rich in nuance and variety to make it a rewarding and challenging space in its own right. Proficiency with six strings alone doesn't really take you too far. I started with acoustic because it was there, but moved off quickly.

I dunno, I guess it again depends what sound you're after. Listening to the old ragtime guitar greats for me sounds pretty far, band-in-a-box stuff, sounds like more than one person playing etc, with stumbled syncopation and separate lead lines etc. Then you've got someone like Big Bill who played mean flatpick as well as fingerstyle. It may not have the audio diversity you can achieve with electric, but it can take you very far, and all you need is that guitar.
  • Now who wants to more willie chat?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!