Longplays/playthroughs/speedrunning - games to watch
‹ Previous123456
  • I'm heading into a quieter patch at work and i'm looking for some games to watch as playthroughs or longplays etc I've not owned a playstation or xbox in years so there are tonnes of games i've not played or really looked into. I was tempted to watch TLOU from start to finish, would that be a good idea? I got most of the way through RDR2 which I might go back to before picking up any suggestions here but anyone got any good suggestions? 

They don't have to be brilliantly scripted rpg-esk games either. I happily sit and watch playthroughs of outrun coast to coast or strider or pac land so can be retro and interesting for other reasons (the IK single credit run springs to mind for instance). Maybe the game has great bosses like Final Fight or Ghost and Goblins so is worth seeing through. 

So suggestions please!
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Cities Skylines, no lie.

Metro Exodus could be good if someone is competent and doesn't go "hey guys" all over it.

I dunno.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There's a run of SMB2 aka Lost Levels with Luigi by someone called Big John that was part of an AGDQ event.

The Luigi character in this game jumps higher but is a slippery bast. He makes it look ridiculously easy and he's an amusing, chilled out character himself.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Tetris Grandmaster run.   Extra points for the runner being an uber nerd - one of the few Westerners who has ever got a GM rank at this mental game. The level of skill in this is inhuman as far as I'm concerned.

• I don't know how interesting you would find it, but the Destiny Worlds First raid attempts are a cool thing to watch for people trying to work out the mechanics.
  • city skylines is cool, it's like a modern day version of sim city. I'm watching a guy who plays alot just start from scratch and show how he builds. This ticks alot of boxes. Very theraputic. Would be a massive time sink to play for me so to watch is awesome. Will try Metro Exodus. 

I'll watch the lost levels run tonight, I watch alot of speedrunning on mario so i'll be used to it. 

And as a tetris player I've watched the TGM vids so many times and the video you've posted a number of times as he plays so well under stream pressure.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I find SummoningSalt's videos on the history of speed run records to be nice and relaxing. Very interesting too, they find a lot of cool footage of old records.

• :) watched it already too

most speedrunning record stuff i'm likely to have watched tbh
  • I reccomend Critical Role, the longest long play of them all.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Season one starts with patchy audio quality, but it picks up and it’s well worth getting into if you have time.
  • Kart, why is this Spongebob game so fucking popular on speedruns.com?
  • Pretty sure it’s because it was part of the scene when people were running shit games just to try to get wrs like Hannah Montana. Also didn’t they just find a new glitch at the start of sponge bob which is a massive skip? So basically the WR is up for grabs by anyone who can run it half decent.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Its a meme speedrun, theres a few of them. Ive actually watched a couple twitch streams of a guy running it.

Theres some decent speedrun tech and glitches in it.
  • Ah the memeshit. Should've guessed really.
  • I like watching people sail through the tougher sections of The End is Nigh:

• Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Doom Eternal Nightmare speedruns are insane too if you wanna see legit skill
  • mk64 wrote:
    Pretty sure it’s because it was part of the scene when people were running shit games just to try to get wrs like Hannah Montana. Also didn’t they just find a new glitch at the start of sponge bob which is a massive skip? So basically the WR is up for grabs by anyone who can run it half decent.

Wait, shit game speedruns are a thing?

*Rummages around pile of tat*
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    Pretty sure it’s because it was part of the scene when people were running shit games just to try to get wrs like Hannah Montana. Also didn’t they just find a new glitch at the start of sponge bob which is a massive skip? So basically the WR is up for grabs by anyone who can run it half decent.

Wait, shit game speedruns are a thing?

*Rummages around pile of tat*

The all time great Two Worlds speedrun record is like 2 and a half minutes.

• Yea shit games or very short games are a big thing in the community
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Remember watching a Pepsiman speedrun. Was smile inducing.
  • GDQ always has the shit game section. Good stuff
  • To further the cities love...

This is the park/city square from the global collab. Doesn't really show the build, but this guy went over and above with the post processing as well, insane.

https://youtu.be/5VAO-rvH8pM

The above is all from builders who are using mods out the wazzoo and have infinite money etc on. So nto caring about game rules etc.

https://youtu.be/FmDUUGOTFCM

Biffa is also a great watch. From a different angle. Traffic management becomes a major thing in the actual game, and he has dozens of fix it vids.

Very relaxing. And I stole so many ideas.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I like watching people sail through the tougher sections of The End is Nigh:

just watched the any% speedrun of this. Cool little game. Reminds me of the supermeatboy, one screen platformer puzzle genre which is so popular right now. Some incredible tekkers.
  • i've watched the first 10 minutes of metro exedus and it's too scary. Anything else like this which has lighting and is decent to watch?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It's the same dev, MK
  • What is?
  • The End Is Nigh - SMB
  • Slime San might be worth a go if you like watching the single screen stuff:

Or Lightfall, which is a bit different but felt good for this sort of thing:

• Haven't read this yet but it should be interesting, especially for those who haven't seen a lot of Jobst's stuff already (as I expect it'll be familiar content):

https://www.dexerto.com/gaming/karl-jobsts-most-important-moments-in-speedrunning-history-1392384
  • any recommendations for first person shooters with a good story/are interesting like Halo. Basically metro exodus but not scary :)
‹ Previous123456

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!