regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I fucking love Superman. He is my favourite superhero bar none. There's so much potential with how you tackle topics with a man who has infinite power yet a massive weakness.

It is the same story for us as humans.

Red Son remains one of my most favourite stories as it imagined how he would work if he was an I student of Communism as opposed to Capitalism, and the Geopolitics that would ensue .
    I love superman even though it is easy to reduce him to "he foes evertrhing" and wonder if anyone else has a similar affinity. He's a really weird and interesting character and my favourite in comic fiction!

Any thoughts welcome.
  • Alan Moore had a couple of interesting takes on him, I think.

And then there's Homelander from The Boys. That's a fun character...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yeah I've liked The Boys so far.
  • Final episode of S2 tomorrow...
  • Ah, forgot S2 was going up.  Will give that a go once I've got through the rest of Shitt's Creek.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    Ah, forgot S2 was going up.  Will give that a go once I've got through the rest of Shitt's Creek.

Absolutely finished Schitt first.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I enjoyed All-Star Superman. I feel like there are not that many Superman comic stories that are considered all-time classics considering how prominent the character is in popular culture.

I have nostalgic memories of watching the Lois and Clark TV series as a kid.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Out of interest, why is this thread in this area of the forks? Just wondering.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Reg doesn't want the searchable internet to know his love of Superman extends into the realm of intense, disturbing fetish.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Superman is an unbelievably shit name/title. Yet somehow we al got inured to it early enough and now it just sounds normal
  • Superman was the only proper comic I bought as a kid so he's always been top for me. Had the Fleischer cartoons on non-taped-off-telly VHS, watched a ton of the George Reeves series, binged on The Movie and absolutely love Superman 2 to bits. Also, the neck scratch in Superman IV has probably never been surpassed as my biggest ever WOW cinema moment. I nearly combusted, plus I was too young to realise the film was shit ergo I still love it.

Plus I think Man of Steel is about as good as modern superhero films get. I know it wasn't a hit with everyone but Krypton segment aside I was very happy with it.
  • I think I've said much of this before, so apologies if I'm repeating myself.

When I was a kid I thought Superman was dumb. I was firmly in the "he's massively overpowered, and so he's pointless" camp - a position emboldened by the increasingly ridiculous schemes writers would cook up to try and introduce some level of peril for him. Worse still, I thought he was a metaphor for brawn over brains.  The big strong guy who repeatedly defeats nerdy old genius Lex Luther.

As I've got older though I've come to the view that the core character is brilliant - but that he's rarely well written.

What I really enjoy about Superman is that, yes, he's insanely powerful, but that he has one fundamental weakness - namely his morality.  It's why Lex, a man with no superpowers, but absolutely no morals either, is his perfect (and most enduring) foe.

Lex knows all you have to do to defeat Superman is push an old lady in front of a bus at just the right moment and he'll feel compelled to save her. You don't need kryptonite, lack of sunlight, or planet destroying aliens from another dimension.  You just need to present him with the trolley problem, and watch him go mad trying to save everyone.

For me, Superman is about how, even with insane power, trying to be a "good person" is an ongoing battle - one you have to keep setting out to win on a daily basis.  Lots of people talk about him being a symbol of hope, and I guess he is, but in my head its the hope of being a slightly better person, rather than that someone else is going to swoop in and save us all.
  • He is as Tin said, usually poory written. However, there is definately one without question brilliant series.

41qHoddTpBL._AC_SY400_.jpg

I generally don't get on with him, but that is near perfect.
  • I wonder if the public, particularly the American cinema goer would accept a heavily conflicted Superman.
    He has become a bit of an Uncle Sam style icon for patriots.
  • I wonder what all that smoke around superman is?

68225-C81-A1-A1-42-A8-890-C-BB5-AFF46487-A.jpg
  • hahaha
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Super, man.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I wonder if the public, particularly the American cinema goer would accept a heavily conflicted Superman.
    He has become a bit of an Uncle Sam style icon for patriots.

Is that not what man of steel tried for?
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yeah and went down like a bag of sick.
  • I think my favourite aspect of superman is that donnie darko “why are you wearing that stupid human suit” thing.

Most super heroes are shown as needing to wear a disguise to protect something because they aren’t infininite enough. But super man wears a human costume (note the face covering - that’s the disguise) even though he’s powerful enough to protect the whole world (even reverse time!). Maybe he sees being Clark Kent as one of those people who beat dark souls using the guitar hero kit. Can he make super noodles using a kettle even though he could boil the water just looking at it and so on.
  • *moved to off-topic.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I never really got into the DC side of things as a kid. It was on the Marvel side for me; Fantastic Four and Spiderman being the bulk of the super-hero comics by bro and I read. Most Marvel comic reading was hit and miss and nothing seemed to be regular but we did get a "proper" UK Spiderman comic in the late 80s-early 80s my brother got every week when I moved to 2000AD.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Was there a superman story where people just stopped giving a shit about their personal safety because they knew superman would save them? Or am I making that up?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Was there a superman story where people just stopped giving a shit about their personal safety because they knew superman would save them? Or am I making that up?

No, thats the world we live in. Except Trump is the Superman
    SFV - reddave360
  • I was never into comics, but Superman was always THE superhero for me. Probably cos of the Reeve's films, the first of which is still the best superhero movie for me.

I also loved Louis and Clark.

I didn't like any of the newer movies. Don't like the dark and serious style or that he's mostly superpunchingman.

I would like a new movie, that's either much brighter and lighter....or is more superman vs human nastiness rather than superman vs cgi fighting army
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • davyK wrote:
    I never really got into the DC side of things as a kid. It was on the Marvel side for me; Fantastic Four and Spiderman being the bulk of the super-hero comics by bro and I read. Most Marvel comic reading was hit and miss and nothing seemed to be regular but we did get a "proper" UK Spiderman comic in the late 80s-early 80s my brother got every week when I moved to 2000AD.
    Much the same Davy. You're maybe a bit out with your dates though. The UK comic The Mighty World of Marvel featuring The Fantastic Four, Spider-Man and The Hulk, debuted in 1972.
    lTqY8Tj.jpg

Spider-Man proved wildly popular, and was given his own comic, Spider-Man Comics Weekly, a year later in 1973, and also featured Thor and Iron Man.
    EIIFyBi.jpg

I read that from issue no.2. Issue no.1 was sold out everywhere, following a tv advert featuring a live action Spider-Man advertising the launch, and that 1st issue came with a free Spider-Man mask.
    Commercial is impossible to find, but it was very much in this vein...

I remember being gutted that me and my dad couldn't find a copy anywhere (I must have been driving him nuts), but there were amazing scenes when a week later he came through the door from work with a copy of issue 2 :)

Where it all gets murky of course is the myriad re-brandings the UK Marvel comics had as the years went by, so there's a strong chance you maybe started reading on a re-brand launch.

Like you, I moved to 2000AD when it launched in 1977, but I was already on the path to that via the hyper-violent and short-lived Action comic. :D
    0LQ9MWX.jpg

Anyhoo, Superman. Never read much of DC Comics. They were the sort of thing you'd pick up to read when on your summer holidays, as they were just random U.S. issues at the time. I did used to enjoy the cartoons on the telly when I was wee though...

and later, his dog Krypto proved to be a favourite...
  • Personally i find superman quite dull.
    Do you have Kryptonite?
    Yes then use.
    Do you have Kryptonite? No.
    Then do you have an old lady yo can push in front of a bus? Yes. Then use.

Rinse and repeat. Yawn.

Batman and Spidey more interesting plus both have a superb collection of villains.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    When I was a kid, superman went through a wild change where he went blue and became a cool electric guy. I loved it.

I also have The Wedding Album which is a deluxe package where he finally gets married to Lois. It is a garbage issue.
  • I think the only Superman comics I ever actively bought were The Death of Superman ones back then. Hype, much.
    Didn't think they were particularly compelling tbh. Came off rather like a desperate gimmick to me.
  • I remember seeing that on newsround.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    I think the only Superman comics I ever actively bought were The Death of Superman ones back then. Hype, much.
    Didn't think they were particularly compelling tbh. Came off rather like a desperate gimmick to me.

Do you remember the 4 guys who all came back pretending to be superman?
‹ Previous123

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!