Current Affairs
  • Apparently, pure heroin is actually pretty safe, bad side effects come from all the shit it gets cut with. 
    "Safe" from a technical POV mind - with "safety" of a drug being the percentage difference between an effective (produces desired effect) dose and a fatal dose, whereby paracetamol is more dangerous (lethal dose closer to normal dose) than heroin. But, well, that ignores the associated problems due to the rather more-ish nature of heroin.

Would relieve a lot of suffering if government or NHS could give dopeheads cheap shit - stop them being on the rob as well.

Portugal doesn't seemed to have exploded into anarchy: http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1893946,00.html
  • I think you can only usefully moralise re: drug-takin' as far as "consume responsibly", as is done in the case of alcohol. That can be pushed more assertively. Clearly, the medical realities of addiction can make that difficult for mere human beings to operate within the bounds of at all times, but we're talking about moralising here, which is to say ethical ideals.

With a vague appeal to realism, I don't think you can successfully push narc reform during a period of socio-economic gloom, not least because it becomes too easy to construct compelling scenarios whereby a depressed workforce would find it more tempting to drown their sorrows in all that new drugtacular bounty yadda yadda. Saying Yes to drugs is about, ultimately, the extension of privilege and a degree of trust to your polity, and societies tend to only be comfortable doing that when they're feeling more generally optimistic.

At the same time, it's not like legal intoxicants are getting any more popular. I think we can say at this point that decades of slowly rolling towards a better realisation of the impact of, say, smoking has exerted a downward pressure on consumption. Perhaps that's a point in favour of legalisation.

My bowels tell me I just want brown people to stop getting chainsawed, and I think you need deep solutions to the causes of that. For the time being, a nice stop-gap might be confiscation of prohibited substances sans any other legal rebuke.
  • I used to think that the steady demise of the blue-rinse brigade would remove much of the opposition to reform. Much of the reform in California is accredited to the usually conservative senior vote being replaced through attrition by ageing hippies. 

It doesn't seem to be happening here though. Whenever one old Tory falls, another jumps into the vacuum to take their place.
  • People with kids are always going to be afraid that it's their kids that end up addicted.

There's also the chance that even if legalisation had an overall beneficial effect, there might be people who'd suffer terribly because of it. The status quo at least means that everyone has had fair warning.
  • Feel like potentially severe personal health consequences are warning enough without the silhouette of The Man's mighty groin looming to teabag you for your misfortunes also.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    You can't grow acid, mdma, speed, etc from seeds.

I thought these were all catered via other legal chemical compounds?
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I_R wrote:
    People with kids are always going to be afraid that it's their kids that end up addicted.

See this is it.

All drugs should be legal. Only law against carrying and consumption is when you are within 100 meters of a school.

This would protect bus routes to and from schools & colleges and as a result a lot of urban and suburban districts.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    My point about the phone is that we likely carry more sensitive information on our phones than in our homes. I feel that to inspect my phone should require a warrant, I'd be surprised if it didn't, and disappointed

I didn't say coppers were bent I gave an example of an action which was the root of my personal distrust
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    beano wrote:
    I_R wrote:
    People with kids are always going to be afraid that it's their kids that end up addicted.
    See this is it. All drugs should be legal. Only law against carrying and consumption is when you are within 100 meters of a school. This would protect bus routes to and from schools & colleges and as a result a lot of urban and suburban districts.

You weren't being serious there were you?
  • I'm kind of hoping not too.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    See this is it. All drugs should be legal. Only law against carrying and consumption is when you are within 100 meters of a school. This would protect bus routes to and from schools & colleges and as a result a lot of urban and suburban districts.

Most def the shit in bold. Everything, legalised. Even the opiates.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Legal or illegal is one argument but not in 100 yards of a school, wtf. Utter gubbins, I live opposite a school, why should it be illegal for me but fine for the guy who's garden backs onto mine?
    Also illegal for parents?
    Stupid caveat, throw it out
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    There'll be another law obliging people who have gardens to let their neighbours take drugs in their flowerbeds, so don't worry.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    beano wrote:
    Mod74 wrote:
    Most def the shit in bold. Everything, legalised. Even the opiates.

But how would this protect children when, you know, they spend a lot of time more than 100 yards from a school?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    All children will have device which gives out a signal to 100m and everybody will have a type of radar so they can constantly move their drugs around in accordance with the movements of the kids. This might benefit paedos though, so some new paedo devices might also be necessary.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I said years ago, should've gone on dragons den for this bad boy, them high pitched speakers that shop owners use to keep kids away, and I hear them a little and do my head in, anyway put them on ankle tags and on paedos, 95% serious, it should work

If not, there's always the Korean solution
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    So kids get high pitched whining while they get molested?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Gary Glitter sings in the lower range.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    If it stops teenagers hanging around to ask people to buy them fags and beer, I'm confident it younger kids will also fuck off no matter how many sweeties are on offer
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    Legal or illegal is one argument but not in 100 yards of a school, wtf. Utter gubbins, I live opposite a school, why should it be illegal for me but fine for the guy who's garden backs onto mine? Also illegal for parents? Stupid caveat, throw it out

No one stop you from producing your own and I am sure the lords would make it possible for you to carry enough for 'yourself' for when go clubbing or other reasonable 'leisure' activity...you're for the decriminalisation of drugs?

edit: what i mean is such a debate would have to take place if you were, no?
  • cockbeard wrote:
    If not, there's always the Korean solution
    Zero tolerance on any and everything drugwise barring alcohol and cigarettes? Or getting everyone hooked on PC games?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Erm, you insert a small device the size of a pea into the paedophiles rectum. The device is activated by the sound of children's laughter. Upon activation it swells to the size of a fridge and Bam, the children are safe
  • A Smeg fridge?
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    No beano, it wouldn't be ok would it I am within 100 yards of a school. Also your logic is flawed because is we have to protect children from something then maybe we need to protect our populace from it as well. Or is your logic, no it's ok for adults to choose to be a mong, but protect the kiddies. I suggest we need the adults not being mongs in order to provide for the kiddies
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Technology might be better used for a portable fridge of some sort.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Was it not called the "Korean solution", I've not seen paedogeddon for ages
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Erm, you insert a small device the size of a pea into the paedophiles rectum. The device is activated by the sound of children's laughter. Upon activation it swells to the size of a fridge and Bam, the children are safe
    Fuck.
  • beano wrote:
    The message is- take a drug dealer, baron or otherwise out and he gets replaced. Arresting anyone on the street or in the supply chain isn't going to do anything.

Dunno, vivid experience in a middle eastern country tells me this isn't the case.  Man A is promoted to be a mid-level commander in charge of drugs.  Man A is arrested.  Man B is promoted into Man A's role.  Man B is killed.  Man C is promoted into Man A/Bs job.  Man C is killed.  Man D politely refuses to do the job and runs away.  Man E perhaps considers it, but only because he's desperate.  The leadership are desperate too, so let Man E do it.  Effectiveness is massively decreased, and then Man E is arrested.  There is no Man F.

So the solution is to have a bunch of drones overhead, firing missiles at people involved in the drugs trade, and a horde of special forces soldiers doing midnight raids to arrest them (i.e. harsher penalties).  If it can made radical Islamists think twice, then I doubt it'll struggle to deter dealers and distributors.
  • Kow wrote:
    Your first point is very shaky. Why would people continue selling drugs illegally after they were legalised, apart from a small number of them? People didn't continue selling alcohol illegally after the end of prohibition in the states. There was no point.

Didn't a bunch of people die somewhere recently from drinking dodgy fake vodka?  Likewise illegal tobacco smuggling; you can bet legalised class A drugs won't be cheap, so there'll still be people willing to take their chance with some cut with baking soda/rat poison for a few % off.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Bomb developing countries to solve rich nation drug problems? This is an issue that doesn't have clear solutions as it involves people's rights to do what they want with their own bodies and how far that right goes. It's not a problem that can be bombed away.

Also, deaths from fake alcohol is a negligible problem in the developed world, I would imagine.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!