Beatz not by Skezza AKA the proper good enough audio through a gaming headset thread
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Been trying out my new Steelseries Arctis 7Xes and was asked to give some impressions in the PS5 thread, but it isn't really a PS5 headset (although it is compatible with PS5), so thought it was better off in its own thread.

These are impressing me so far, super-comfortable (as you'd expect from Steelseries), solid build quality, significantly improved audio quality over my Steelseries 1s (I think they are 1s at least), all the controls you need on the headset itself, and a couple of nice quality of life features (there's a red LED in the mic that turns on when its muted, so you have a reminder in the corner of your eye). I'm very pleased with it.

The only thing I'm yet to test is the mic quality (I got loads of complaints about echoing with my 1s, but these have active noise cancelling for the mic, so you'd hope that wouldn't be an issue), I'll update post-FNF.

Pretty much the only complaint that I have is a rather daftly-designed dongle which has a USBC connector on it despite there not being a USBC port on the Xbox itself. The solution to this comes in the box in the form of an adaptor, an adaptor with a metre long cord on it. It's not the end of the world, it gets plugged in, hidden behind the console and quickly forgotten about, but it still seems a weird choice. Apparently the dongle will plug directly into the PS5, but it's T-shaped, so will block your other USB port, but don't worry, you can just dangle it onto the floor using the insanely long cable.

Pending chat tests at the end of the week, I'd happily recommend these to anyone looking for a wireless headset, particularly if you want to use it across pretty much anything you can play games on.
  • Nice. Look forward to more thoughts, yosdmas.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I've got a set of the arctis x9s and they are also very good. Sound quality is great and being able to pair them with my phone and xbox at the same time is pretty impressive (if so far un-utilised). They are considerably better than my wired Turtle Beach headphones I had previously in every way.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Couldn’t quite bring myself to spend the extra, particularly as I currently stream my music to the Xbox and then back to my headset.
  • Sounds promising Yoss, I'll be upgrading from wired 1p's eventually so I have high hopes for these. Steel series have been touted as having the best mic so hopefully your echoing problems will be no more.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I hope so, that was my main reason for upgrading. Well, that and going wireless.
  • I've still got my TB XO40s, which I don't think they make anymore and I absolutely love them. Yes, they're not true wireless but they were my first ever proper headset and completely changed both gaming and film/TV watching for me. I won't replace them until they need replacing, but SS should like the way to go.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Update on mic, it works great, but apparently the active noise cancelling isn’t quite good enough to deal with shaking up a cocktail.

It did prove practically impossible to find a balance between listening to music and hearing everyone’s voices, but I don’t know if that’s the fault of the headset or just the fact that everyone tends to come through at a different volume. Microsoft should whack a compressor into the console that they run voice commands through.
  • Bumped for Liv. There's not much in here at the moment for cheap headsets so hopefully some badgers will leave a comment if they have a cheap headset to recommend.
    Both me and Yoss have those arctis 1p's that are about £45/£50. I like em, no complaints and they don't look gamey either.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I did get many complaints about echoing during FNF on those, however.

No issue with the 7Xs.
  • On a more expensive tip, the new Microsoft headset is £95, but Amazon are doing it for £85. Not often you get a discount on hardware before it’s even on the shelves.
  • this is the 'cheap' headset i just bought recently (though it was a few quid cheaper when i got it, so i guess my fame has driven the price up).
    https://smile.amazon.co.uk/EKSA-Headset-Surround-Cancelling-Detachable-Red/dp/B08CXHC4VH

i'm not recommending it at this stage as not really used it for voice chat and just had a brief test on xbox. i'm also not an audio person so can't really compare the sound quality (as much as this is a cheap headset, it's also the most i've ever spent on headphones). however they are light and seemed quite comfortable, and i could hear everything i'd expect to when playing with them on.
    i got it cos it comes with two detachable leads to connect - one a 3.5mm jack and the other a usb one. i wanted this so i could use it on xbox and pc (where usb is preferred). it does have a bit of a 'gamer' style with the glowing purple stripes on the side which i would have preferred not to have, but they only light up if you're using the usb connector anyway.
    it has volume and mute button on the ear piece itself, which prob isn't a big issue generally but the mute button in particular was fiddly and i think the mic will pick up the scratching noises as you fumble around for the button...so if you want to regularly (and discreetly) mute/unmute then it may not be the best.
    the mic is detachable too for if you want to game with just headset at times.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Wrong thread.
  • Not sure if this'll be too late but I've got a Fiio E12A amp I've been meaning to Ebay for yonks now.  No idea what it's worth but would badger price it for anyone interested.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Bugger I did a “search” will repost in proper thread.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Not sure if this'll be too late but I've got a Fiio E12A amp I've been meaning to Ebay for yonks now.  No idea what it's worth but would badger price it for anyone interested.

Just googled em. Reckon you’ll have some interest in the coming weeks with people getting into Apple Lossless like me. I don’t need the portable and wanted the outputs for potential powered desktop speakers in the future so that’s why I went for the K5 otherwise I’d be sending you a PM.
  • My kid needs a new headset and in looking at either the Razer Kraken X or the Steelseries Arctis 1. I think I'm leaning more towards the SS ones though, they seem to get good reviews.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I've got a set of the Arctis 9s. They're great.
  • Yoss. Those 7Xes still good, yeah? No complaints?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    They’re good. Sometimes I’d like it if they had Bluetooth too for connecting to my phone directly, but as far as gaming goes, they’re solid.
  • I have them now as well. They're comfortable, they sound great, they have a game chat / game audio mixer for Xbox and they work on ps4/5 too. They're somewhat heavier than my P1's but that's to be expected. Retractable mic lights up red when you click the mute button which is a great feature.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    They are very comfortable, that’s for sure.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I can friends and family the new microsoft headset for £70, if that's of interest to anyone.  They seem quite low on stock in the company store atm tho (only one right now), but ping me if that could be of interest...
  • 7x ordered. Should arrive tomorrow. Then I can game late night on my Bone with sound up. Current headset is oooooold from 360 days. Serves me well, but drops sounds and crackles a lot now. 

7x should work with PS5, right? Not a problem if not. My Sony Golds still function well. Just a little worn.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    They do work with PlayStation, there is a dongle for them that you’ll have to move, but other than that you’ll be good.
  • Loving the 7X! Watching Loki and headed is booming!!!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!