Current Affairs
  • The trade in counterfeit cigarettes and alcohol in the UK is still significant, I believe.  That's counterfeit, as opposed to illegally imported, which is also still a huge problem.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I would imagine counterfeit alcohol is illegal because it breaks copyright and licensing laws more than anything else. After all, it's not illegal to brew your own beer etc.
  • Huge how? I mean I think we need some hard figgaz if we're going to address this coherently.

Meanwhile, I'm wondering how costs are working out for affording current levels of drugs offence inmates, or whether there are any appreciable cash incentives for minimum levels of imprisonment. If there are, that'd be another clear impediment to reform.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I think we could also solve unemployment by, well, bombing unemployed people.
  • Kow wrote:
    I would imagine counterfeit alcohol is illegal because it breaks copyright and licensing laws more than anything else. After all, it's not illegal to brew your own beer etc.
    Try telling that to the people who were buying bottles of some lethal concoction that was pretending to be Smirnoff or whatever.
    It is illegal to distil spirits without the proper licence because it's potentially lethal if you don't know what you're doing.  Mind you, the people that are doing so illegally and who then pass it off as something else probably don't give a shit whether it kills a few people or not.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    How many of them have died, rather than just being ripped off?
  • Kow wrote:
    I think we could also solve unemployment by, well, bombing unemployed people.

Bombing solves loads of things. This much we can be sure of.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I might bomb myself.
  • Bombing does solve some things.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    Erm, you insert a small device the size of a pea into the paedophiles rectum. The device is activated by the sound of children's laughter. Upon activation it swells to the size of a fridge and Bam, the children are safe

That is amazing.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Occasionally, but not often. Makes problems go away for a while without actually addressing the root of the problem. You bomb poppy fields, dealers, etc. in Afghanistan or wherever, all you'll do is move production somewhere else, or change people's drug of choice. The issue is the demand, not the supply.
  • Bomb all the demanders.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Now that might work.
  • Seriously, maybe some kind of medical agent that neutralises any kind of intoxicant is worth researching and then imposing on one's entire polity.
  • Kow wrote:
    Occasionally, but not often. Makes problems go away for a while without actually addressing the root of the problem. You bomb poppy fields, dealers, etc. in Afghanistan or wherever, all you'll do is move production somewhere else, or change people's drug of choice. The issue is the demand, not the supply.

We don't bomb poppy fields, all the anti-narcotics stuff is Afghan led.  We bomb nasty men involved with the Taliban and such things.  The analogy's mostly true though; in terms of "winning a war on drugs," if people were of a mind to stomach extremely harsh penalties for anyone involved in it, then eventually the supply of willing servants dries up.

Sure, some people will always be there who'll do anything, but the smarter ones a few rungs up the ladder eventually stop doing stuff when they realise that the risk/reward meter has swung massively towards the former.

Now, there's a critical difference between an insurgency in a country involving lots of people dying and the drugs trade, so we'll never get to a position where people are able to stomach it, but if the penalty for anything remotely drugs-related was instant painful death, then I'm sure it'd all dry up pretty rapidly.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Seriously, maybe some kind of medical agent that neutralises any kind of intoxicant is worth researching and then imposing on one's entire polity.

That's a turnaround from most sci-fi/future gazers. Lazy bastards.
  • Reminds me of a show I saw once where convicted paedophiles over here, who were able to demonstrate through a few hundred hours of therapy when in jail that it was a physiological attraction that they couldn't shake, were offered chemical castration to remove any feeling of desire, hence removing the risk.
  • It's gotta be one up on instant painful death.
  • To Kickstarter!
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    The anti-narcotic stuff in Afghanistan is US led. The Afghanis may be carrying it out but it's under pressure from the US.

Same is true in South America. It's why governments there are trying to negotiate for decriminalisation. Why should they be torn to pieces because of US demand?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    The anti-narcotic stuff in Afghanistan is US led. The Afghanis may be carrying it out but it's under pressure from the US.

Because an unelected drug funded feudal warlord system of governing has worked out great for the Afgahni's
  • Not really, anymore.  It started off as an OEF-sanctioned thing to cut off cash-flow to the Taliban, but it's now very much a GIRoA activity with a little bit of US help.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    No, Afghanistan is in shit, it's true. But the root of the problem is demand from the developed world.
  • Think I'd rather have total prohibition on the lot, including booze and fags, than the current, whereby a couple of substances escape criminal classification by mere virtue of having been around for ages and being thoroughly industrialised/politicised.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Nah, legalise the lot and roll in the cash in taxes. Could be a quick way out of recession. Probably more people than ever artificially enhancing their mood right now.
  • Well yeah. One way or t'other. Not this wishy-washy-flip-flop bullfuck.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    We should become Muslims then. But without the weed.
  • I'll never say no to robes, and Muslim ones look pretty comfy.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    No way I'm missing lunch 30 days in a row.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    And I don't like shaving.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!