Wii and Wii U
  • g.man wrote:
    I'll bet you the controller will be sold separately to the console. werd g.man
    No it won't.  That would be utterly stupid.  There will be one included in the box with the console.
  • Does anything come with an HDMI cable included?
  • g.man wrote:
    I'll bet you the controller will be sold separately to the console. werd g.man
    No it won't.  That would be utterly stupid.  There will be one included in the box with the console.
    This is Nintendo we're talking about.

regards

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    The whole point of the Wii U is its tablet controller. Without one it just becomes the Wii HD and removes any difference it has from the other HD consoles. It will be packed in for sure.
    Things can only get better.
  • Oh, there'll be a catch.

mark my words

g.man
  • g.man wrote:
    Oh, there'll be a catch. mark my words g.man

So you think they'll sell the console and controller separately?

Or they'll come bundled together, but you have buy something else for it to work?
    Believe!
  • Pretty much.

yup

g.man
  • Any reasoning behind that?

I don't think Nintendo have sold their console without the (main) controller in the box before.
    Believe!
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    It's obvious isn't it? You'll need to pay $100 for the vitality sensor and achieve a perfect 88 bpm before the tablet screen turns on.
    Things can only get better.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Oh, there'll be a catch. mark my words g.man

Quite possibly, but not regarding the controller and the machine. I.e., the machine will come bundled with the pad, the pad will work out of the box. The machine's USP is the pad; anything else would be commercial suicide.

I imagine the catch to be something more like Xbox Live: "you can play with your friends online*!"

*If you give us £15 a month.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Does this thing have a hard drive? Are Nintendo going to sort out their online services? Not so fussed about online multiplayer but would like an account so if one machine goes wrong I can re-download my games onto the replacement machine.
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • i think it's meant to support an external HDD, but will just have about 8GB internal flash storage or something.

with regards to the HDMI cable, i wonder if retailers encourage the manufacturers not to include them, so that they can then try to sell the unsuspecting unwashed their £40 monster 'gold plated' HDMI cables and make a big profit on them?
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Supposed to be an external hard drive I think. How exactly that will work is a big question.

Giving retailers an opportunity to increase their profit by selling cables does seem to be one way that the hardware manufacturers get the machines on shelves.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It's the hard drive that still confuses me - since Nintendo is just about to dive into online retailing on the 3DS (that 16gb SD card best money I eva spent) I can't see why they aren't 'test running' it for this. I can see them doing Wii games as digital downloads on this console, but the 8GB flash memory doesn't support this. 

I expect THERE'S g.man's catch. 8gb onboard flash memory, but a 120gb hard drive out at launch.
  • Third parties will want to sell their DLC, 8GB won't cover that any more.
  • Much the same as the Wii I imagine, USB port with an external drive mooching around, a third party may make some kind of casing to have it fit aesthetically I suppose.

The upside of course with that is that HDDs are much cheaper.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    Shyam39 wrote:
    Mod74 wrote:
    Well, I said looks rather than will be. Where are the palms of your hands going to go? On the bottom edge? You'll be able to reach the buttons if you're E.T. With the shape of the tablet and the position of the controls, I can only envisage holding it being a weird claw action.
    These videos should give you an idea (CES & E3 so the older version with sliders instead of sticks). (starts at 1.16)
    Looks perfectly comfortable to me.

Really? The fact that it looks like it weighs a ton and won't rest in the palms of your hands so the weight is always taken by your fingers (which you need to be able to press buttons with) won't be a problem?

OK, well neither of us know for sure so we'll have to wait and see I guess.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I've heard it's the same weight as a new iPad.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    You can expand the memory via SD cards as well apparently.

If I was a developer of digitally distributed games I'd be a bit perturbed by this really, sounds like WiiWare all over again.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    I've heard it's the same weight as a new iPad.

Why would it be as heavy as an iPad? The image is streamed from the WiiU, so it won't have heavy innards. Casing will just be plastic too, not heavy glass and metal and whatever.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Batteries are heavy. You'd need a glass screen to have a capacitive, multi touch, finger swipe screen. If they've gone for single touch resistive (ala DS) then they've missed a rather large trick.
  • This characteristic Nintendo reluctance to adopt modern trends regarding digital distribution is worrying for me. It's the N64 and refusal to use CDs all over again, and that was arguably the sole reason for Nintendo's rapid decline in popularity (excluding handhelds) up until the Wii was released.
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    Really? The fact that it looks like it weighs a ton and won't rest in the palms of your hands so the weight is always taken by your fingers (which you need to be able to press buttons with) won't be a problem? OK, well neither of us know for sure so we'll have to wait and see I guess.

Really. What, you don't have a lap? Do you play your 360 with your pad held up in the air? I'm curious as to how people are judging weight by looking at pictures. I'm cautiously optimistic. Looking at the shape of the thing, I don't see how it's any more uncomfortable than holding a Vita.

Regarding the pad, I thought it was already confirmed that it was single-touch and not multi-touch? Would be happy if it was multi-touch, but I was under the impression they went for single to keep costs down.

To me, it seems more likely that the lack of a meaty internal storage device is the Gman Catch. Hopefully the vanilla machine comes with more than 8GB, though.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • i'm pretty sure last i heard it was a single touch screen...
    i see no reason why the sides of the controller couldn't be moulded a bit like the GC pad which would be sweet, and also i can't think of any controller that 'rests in your palms' more than this is likely to - you always grip a controller around the edge.  and also given that it's bigger than a normal joypad it might actually be more comfortable to rest it/your hands on your lap while playing
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It has been confirmed to be single touch btw.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    i'm pretty sure last i heard it was a single touch screen... i see no reason why the sides of the controller couldn't be moulded a bit like the GC pad which would be sweet, and also i can't think of any controller that 'rests in your palms' more than this is likely to - you always grip a controller around the edge.  and also given that it's bigger than a normal joypad it might actually be more comfortable to rest it/your hands on your lap while playing

Hold a 360 controller. Note how it rests in your palms and is held using your little and ring fingers. Note how your middle, index and thumbs have complete freedom to move around the sticks/buttons without actually holding the controller.

I just don't see that being possible with this tablet thing.
  • I'm not sure why the 'grip' part of it would need to be much different from a normal pad. We'll see.
  • Wow, no internal hdd, single touch screen, bulky controller. I predict failure, just seems like one mistake too many to me.

Also, why do I have a feeling the controller will end up being wired?
  • Mod74 wrote:
    i'm pretty sure last i heard it was a single touch screen... i see no reason why the sides of the controller couldn't be moulded a bit like the GC pad which would be sweet, and also i can't think of any controller that 'rests in your palms' more than this is likely to - you always grip a controller around the edge.  and also given that it's bigger than a normal joypad it might actually be more comfortable to rest it/your hands on your lap while playing
    Hold a 360 controller. Note how it rests in your palms and is held using your little and ring fingers. Note how your middle, index and thumbs have complete freedom to move around the sticks/buttons without actually holding the controller. I just don't see that being possible with this tablet thing.

I agree totally with your description on holding a 360 pad.  And totally disagree with thought that it would somehow be different with the wiiU tablet.  It's bigger so your hands would be further apart, other than that it would only be a problem IF it's particularly heavier than a normal pad.

However, there's only one way for sure that we'll know which of us is right on this: a duel to the pain.
  • They are going to need a play and charge wire, but I'm sure it will be wireless as long a the batteries have juice.

External HDD sort of makes sense, look at the way hard drive sizes have increase this generation. It's not as pleasing aesthetically as having it click on, but I'm sure most PS3 owners this generation never went near swapping their HDD out.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!