Let's make a gaming PC
  • Yeah, bulldozer not great at moment - for gaming anyway
  • google wrote:
    How easy is it to install a SSD and Windows without the need for any tomfoolery? I dont want to have to fuck around with duplication of Operating Systems. I just want to install the drive, have Windows install or copied and have no other issues. Is this at all possible?
    Yeah, just install Windows to the new SDD, have it connected to the sata cable you're currently using and don't have that hdd connected so you don't accidentally format your old drive. It only takes about half an hour to install to an sdd. Then connect your other drive to be used as a slave and you'll be able to connect up all your folders to their old locations (easily done in Windows 7 - look for library locations when you right click, under properties for folders in the sidebar). There's no need to remove the old install from the old hdd but if you could be bothered, and have the space to back up everything you want to keep, a total format would be cleaner.
  • For lazy people. They don't seem to bad. For less lazy people, they list all their specs so you can search for the parts yourself.
  • The Chillblast Fusion Vantage is extremely competitively priced.
  • Parts have started to arrive.  I have:

- mobo
    - hard drive
    - cpu
    - cpu cooler
    - psu

Don't have:
    - RAM
    - cd drive
    - case
    - Win 7
    - GPU

PSU caught me out as I thought it was purely modular.  It's not.  It has the normal cables hard wired plus the option to add modular cables.  Still, I'll need all cables anyway apart from the molex

If I don't get the 7850 from SCAN (out of stock, muppets), I'll probably look at the 660ti or more likely the 670 as that seem better value (although both are poor value compared to the 7850).
  • Now got all parts apart from case and GPU.

Did a test build with the CPU, cooler, memory and it booted.  Phew!

GPU has been despatched today so it's just the case outstanding which seems to have been lost by Amazon or their delivery chaps.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Got all the stuff yet mrsmr2?

You know we were talking about quiet PCs, well I didn't realise the (quality/design of the) case had such an influence on volume. So I looked around at some cases that claim to be quiet but without getting one it's hard to know if they're better then the one I have.

So anyway, instead I took the sides off mine and stuck some of those Sellotape Sticky Fixer pads along the edges where the side panels attach. It might be my imagination but I'm sure it's taken the thrum down a notch.

--
    Also, mine has a space for a fan on the side, now I noticed a fair amount of air was blowing out if it, I'm assuming it was the flow from the front two fans. Now although that's probably picking up the flow from over the grfx card, I didn't really want it venting half way up the case, I wanted it to pull right through to the two exhaust fans on the top/back. So I gaffer taped the hole over. Stupid idea? The idle core temps for cpu/gpu seem exactly as they were before. Not tired loading yet.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Stupid idea?.
    Nah, you'll be fine. Test under load for a while if you're worried but shouldn't make a huge difference. What you using to measure the temps?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    GPU-Z and CoreTemp

Just had a couple hours on Borderlands and the highest GPUz recorded was 57c CPU was about the same.
  • Case and GPU finally turned up today.

Proceeded to unpack case and the bloody stand-offs are missing (I got 3 instead of 9).

Fitted the drives and PSU, and also tested them separately, but I can't build it until I get the stand-offs.

I went for a posh case and it's huge - too big for the single HD and BD drive in there.  It has three fans and a controller so I can control the air flow.  They are not loud.  The CPU cooler fan is a bit noisier.  However, the GPU fans are on a different level so it doesn't really matter about the others as all I'll hear is the GPU.

It'll be Monday before I can get the stand-offs.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I didn't know this, but if you're feeling super brave you can rip the fan off your GPU and replace it with a water cooled heat sink. There's no version for my card but there might be for yours. If you're feeling brave/rich.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Woohoo, Bas ordered new pc parts. Was about time, the one we currently have is an old Guerrilla setup, pretty good, but getting old now.

Anyway, here it is:
    CPU i7 - 3770K Ivy Bridge
    CPU Cooler Dark Rock 2
    Power Supply Dark Power Pro 750W
    Asus P8H77 - V mobo
    Nvidia Geforce GTX660 (+2GB RAM)
    16GB DDR-3 
    180 GB SSD
    1TB Western Digital HD

Antec P280 Case

Gonna pick it up tomorrow, curious for how long this setup will last us. Not only for gaming, 3d and video editing as well.
  • Looks good Nina.

On better news, for me, I'm typing this from my PC.  Found 6 stand-offs, albeit taller, and used those in conjunction with the 3 supplied with the case.

Just installed Win 7 and Firefox.  Currently downloading AVAST then ZoneAlarm.  Finally graphics drivers and Steam so I can get my free copy of Sleeping Dogs.
  • GPU fan is much quieter now.  It's fans must have been running at full power until the drivers were installed.  It's the cpu cooler fan I hear mostly now.

About to test Sleeping Dogs so I suspect that will change.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    PC has been picked up and is assembled, gonna turn it on in a few minutes. CPU cooler thing is crazy.

To get to the shop was probably the hardest thing, had to go to Rotterdam, traffic was stuck in several places, ended up on a road where you were allowed 60km/h, wide enough for 1 car, water on both sides (1 meter lower) and a lot of oncoming cars. Great.
  • Ha ha.  My original case which seemed to have been lost in the post has turned up now.

My current case seems marginally warped and the fan controller bay is out of line so the controller isn't fitted perfectly.

Tempted to open the box and see if this one is any better, and use the correct stand-offs (which were missing from the replacement case).  On the other hand, I've already had a compensation for the missing stand-offs so I might just send this straight back.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Sell it to me!
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    You meant send it back for a refund didn't you. never mind.
  • I meant send it back, not for a refund.  However, getting a refund would be funny as they'd end up having paid me for the case I have.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    If you're just being honest and want to be less honest, I might buy it you want to sell, if it's better than mine.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Who knows about graphics cards then?

What are the different connection types?  Which is best?  Can I just buy any graphics card and they'll all work, or how do I find out if my PC has the relevant gubbinses inside it to work with it?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    (And any bargains/recommendations or fairly topish-range cards appreciated too!  I got me the urge to splash some cash...)
  • Internally, unless your computer is a million years old your motherboard should be PCI-E x16 so you shouldn't have to worry about that (but check anyway to be sure). Most graphics cards connect via DVI these days, you can get vga/hdmi converter if necessary depending on your monitor. Most of the newer graphics cards will also have a HDMI connection too, which is best because it can carry sound as well.

Something like this is pretty good but if you prefer Nvidia (or you want a better card) i'd say look up benchmarks for this card and then pick another with similar power/price depending on what you can afford.

edit: oh, another thing is to make sure that the card you choose will physically fit inside your PC.

edit: can't believe I wrote 2 instead of too, wtf is wrong with me today.
  • If you can afford this, this is an amazing bargain IMO

Can't speak for the company that sells it though, never used them.
  • I have the Power Edition 7850 and it's very nice.  It's overclocked a fair bit but it never gets too hot (max 59 degrees) and therefore the fans aren't very loud.

The 7950 is a bargain for £50 more but is probably louder (which might not be an issue for you at all).
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Make sure your psu is up to it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Cheers guys. Still not sure what to get... I have nVidia 3d vision so prob one of there's again. Main issue has been crashing, but my current card is beating up fine with FC3 so less urgent to upgrade...

Had realised how expensive cards could get though. GTX690 sounds the dogs - but £800?!? Yoiks!

If my PSU is too low, can I just buy a more powerful one, or is there more to it than that? Actually fitting in is less easy to resolve, I imagine!
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Pretty sure you can just get a new psu if necessary.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Who knows about graphics cards then? What are the different connection types?  Which is best?  Can I just buy any graphics card and they'll all work, or how do I find out if my PC has the relevant gubbinses inside it to work with it?

What CPU is your PC? Not that much point in dropping 200 quid on a graphics card if the CPU is going to bottleneck things.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    CPU is decent (i7 something or other), I think GPU is the botteleck on most stuff I'm hitting.

So nVidia cards: lots of different company's have their own versions, what's the deal with that?  Are they all "the same", or what's the differences between them?  Are some "good" and others "bad"??

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!