Music Subscription services and their various merits
‹ Previous123456730
  • So I'm totally convinced of the merits of music sub services and how they should work. Have been shopping around a bit to see what's out there, since getting increasingly frustrated with Rdio's collection holes and "spam" crappy albums by no name fucks. What are everyone's thoughts on the ones they use?

So far, for me, despite my frustrations: Rdio is the fav. The app on PC is servicable, easy to find stuff, easy to see new releases (would be better if you could filter out crap) and easy to see what others who use it are listening to. Ui works well and it's easy to know what you have in your collection and synced/DLed to your phone.

Tried MOG, which would only really suit Oz, as it's linked to telstra, but it doesn't have the friends list, and the app and menus are FUCKING UGLY. Very similar issue re available music.

Just signed up for the trial with Spotify. Seems to be where everyone else is. Fucking itunes clone, but seems well intergrated for seeing what others are listening to. Has Bad Rabbits, which is part of the reason for the search for a new provider, in my case. But the whole UI and options seem arse backwards coming from rdio.

(For those who are struggling with the whole "I want to own the thing and look at it or something" rdio is probably the easiest transition. You still feel like your collection is yours.)

What else is there?

Of the sub/radio variants, I've been using Pandora a bit, very nice it is too, when you just want to have tunes for a few hours.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Pandora was a useful research tool a few years ago too, threw up some numbers I'd missed back in the days.

Spotty is a thing I should use more now that I have internet on the go, the go being where I do the lion's portion of my musiclisten.
  • Rdio is worth a look. As I say, I think it should be the best. Spotify may win by default in the end due to available tracks. We'll see.

Mod was mentioning curration as important for steam etc as far as quality goes. Get the feeling these services could do with the same.
  • I use Deezer thanks to Orange giving me it for free on mobile. Again a good selection but a lot of covers stuff too. Easy to avoid though.

Google Music allows me to upload everything else though and stream it whenever and wherever. For free.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Spotify and nothing else. Using it in conjuction with third party apps/last.fm is a wondrous thing. Still needs to improve the social aspect of its offering, but it's head and shoulders above anything else I have tried.

I guess the major downside is its inability to cater for the really obscure, but nothing is perfect, right?
  • Olimite wrote:
    Spotify and nothing else. Using it in conjuction with third party apps/last.fm is a wondrous thing. Still needs to improve the social aspect of its offering, but it's head and shoulders above anything else I have tried. I guess the major downside is its inability to cater for the really obscure, but nothing is perfect, right?

Ditto. Spotify has also improved their search engine recently. Big improvement
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Been using the genre search a lot more recently.
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    I'm trialling a free premium Spotify at the moment, mostly to just try discover some new music (via Last FM plugin).

It's pretty handy for playing at work, but I can't see myself paying at the end of the month – not overly keen on the desktop app, catalogue isn't quite diverse enough and to be honest i'd rather support artists by buying their work.

It's been good for seeking out long forgotten albums that i'd not buy again though!
  • Spotify is the only music service I ever wanted to pay for. Now it has added an app service, it's better than ever.
  • Interesting to see so much spotify love. Am I just old, or is it really silly when it comes to listing, you know, albums? And then adding them to your collection. etc. Rdio just seems much more organised and nicer. Will play around with the apps and see if I can get it to work for me.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    Am I just old, or is it really silly when it comes to listing, you know, albums?

In what way?
  • Because it calls them 'playlists' ?

I thought that at first, but it's just nomenclature and doesn't mean anything. You select to add it as a playlist and bam, album is on the sidebar. Done.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I don't get it. I type 'album:purple rain' and Purple Rain comes up.
  • Ah but if you type 'Prince' be prepared to wade through 30+ albums and compilations. Also reissues do my head in. I want the OG thing, not demos etc but I have figured my way around those now.
  • Ok, yeah, it may just be nomenclature, but it is a little messy. Also don't seem to be able to do any sorting of what's on my phone through the PC, which is a shame. Still, this may be quibbles. I also just noticed that spotify seems to play nicer with itunes, which may make me reinstall itunes. Means I can just rip stuff/old cds that have been missing from my rdio.
  • Fuck me, if the apps finder page refuses to load one more time on spotify, I'm going to punch it in the flange.
  • You can just copy stuff over from your HDD into Spotify without the need to reinstall iTunes, it basically does the whole thing IIRC.

Also changes you make on your PC should be reflected on your Phone fairly swiftly, I do all my caretaking on PC and a close and boot of the app usually makes it re-sort whatever is on there.
  • oh, that may sway it.
  • BIGGEST SPOTIFY APP ANNOYANCE: if you let your phone lock, it stops syncing after a while. Is annoying.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    What else is there?

There's Xbox Music.

Good broad catalogue. It's kind of a hybrid between Spotify, iTunes and Google.

You can stream full songs (Spotify), you can buy non-DRM files (iTunes) and it has a cloud match of your existing files (DRM or nonDRM) across machines (Google).

Occasionally you hit a file that you have to buy (iTunes) rather than stream (Spotify), but it's usually possible to simply find the same track on a different album.

I mostly just stream, but you're free to download a DRMed copy of the file to your PC. If you owned a Windows Phone you could then put that file on it. If you stop paying the sub the DRMed file stops working.

The Win 8 interface leaves a bit to be desired, but they are actively working on it. On the plus side it does integrate with Win8 and app snapping well. Alternatively you can download the Zune client which basically functions like iTunes organising your local stuff and allowing purchases/streams.

You can use the 360 to stream files (either from the net or local network) and it syncs up playlists and last played stuff nicely. As an aside the Play to 360 feature works well for video as well. Smartglass too.

All of it is Ad free. The music discovery thing is pretty good. Smart DJ lets you put an artist in and it'll play associated/similar acts. Seeing what your friends are playing is a bit of a bust, all the functionality is there but I don't know anyone else that uses it.

Worth trying I guess, you can have a free 30 day trial via the Music app in Win 8. IIRC it doesn't auto dump you into a paid sub but keep an eye on it when the trial ends.
  • Olimite wrote:
    Spotify and nothing else. Using it in conjuction with third party apps/last.fm is a wondrous thing. Still needs to improve the social aspect of its offering, but it's head and shoulders above anything else I have tried. I guess the major downside is its inability to cater for the really obscure, but nothing is perfect, right?
    Yes, I think it's basically the best thing ever. Almost everything that I've used has quirks re: design and catalogue but Spotify along with Last FM is the best thing ever. Plus the ability to quickly share playlists/compilations and recommendations through Facebook or Twitter is the boss. Plus because it can pull in your entire library you don't need to keep multiple players open. There are quirks but they can mostly be understood and worked around.
    I'm a Sasquatch man and I'm watching you.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Ah but if you type 'Prince' be prepared to wade through 30+ albums and compilations.

Damn that Prince for having such an extensive back catalogue.
  • Pfft that selection is nothing! Missing at least twenty albums! ;)
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    It could be much better, for sure!

I'm sure I saw a video late last year for a major Spotify social update. Unless my app hasn't updated, I don't think it's out yet.
  • It's the compilations and stuff that can be a pain on some artists
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I used it briefly to put stuff on the B&B Christmas list and the search/found seemed well wonky. I'm sure you get used to it.
  • Tempy wrote:
    It's the compilations and stuff that can be a pain on some artists
    Yes and the fact that they list the year of the re-issue of albums! What good is that?
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    I used it briefly to put stuff on the B&B Christmas list and the search/found seemed well wonky. I'm sure you get used to it.

Would probably benefit from some sort of advanced search, but I'm guessing their standpoint is to not over-complicate.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Look! I'm listening to Poiple Rayne!

i3VFf.png
  • I love spotify's UI and features, very clean, but it's too expensive really compared to others to justify renewing my sub. I switched to grooveshark which works out at around £3pm for the total package. In fact the only thing the free version didn't give me was mobile use, for which I paid the £3. I've only been using GS for a few weeks now but so far so good. Spotify's changed, man, 5 listens per song on the free version now? Fuck that.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    £9.99 a month is bloody excellent value.
‹ Previous123456730

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!