The Bear and Badger Musical Appreciation Society
  • Have only just realised that Mos Def has officially changed his stage name to "Yasiin Bey". I have absolutely no idea why beyond y'know, pop stars.
  • I posted the 8-bit Good Morning, Captain on the blurum once and it amazed everyone into silence and so yes hvgirhagirjealghteih

• Everything Slint is amazing so yes hvgirhagirjealghteih indeed.
  • Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • Take Care Of My Cat is an amazing film.

poignant

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    krs wrote:
    I posted the 8-bit Good Morning, Captain on the blurum once and it amazed everyone into silence and so yes hvgirhagirjealghteih
    Loving that. Nice to hear chiptune music that shows some restraint.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Richard Hawley's 'Standing At The Sky's Edge' is already shaping up to be one of my albums of the year. A real improvement on 'Truelove's Gutter' (and I loved that).

• My favourite album of last year, Hearts by these guys. This song is just so moving. Wait until that last melody comes in. Would liken them to a more electronic Sigur Ros without the annoying vocals, instead a dreamy female Swedish vocal takes centre stage.
  • I think that's awful.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
  • It's like a fucking din.
  • Fuck an MBV then, fuck an MBV now.
  • Yeah, I hated those cunts.
  • I kind of like the detuning air-raid-siren guitars on To Here Knows When but that is literally it.

(Strictly, the Pumpkins owed them a handjob or several too.)
  • I like 'em but I don't think they are revelatory or any of that nonsense. Slow is a good one of theirs, an EP thing I think.

Listened to this album whilst enjoying my walk home. PJ was the shit back then.

• Is that from the Flight of the Navigator soundtrack.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I like 'em but I don't think they are revelatory or any of that nonsense. Slow is a good one of theirs, an EP thing I think. Listened to this album whilst enjoying my walk home. PJ was the shit back then.

i still reckon peej is the shit, the rest of the songs on this album are rad too
  • She still is, but she was hot as baws back then
  • ZMM wrote:

Is that from the Flight of the Navigator soundtrack.

Doubt it. It's from a compilation on Music Man.

• @ZMM. Progressive House done right

edit: Some dick's just ripped this off a mix comp. So it's mixed out of at 7 mins or something.
  • New St Etienne album out. Listen to bits here.
  • I went to see Jay-Z and Kanye West - Watch The Throne live at The O2 last night. It was absolutely awesome and definitely way up there with the best gigs I've ever been to, if not the best. The energy in there last night was insane.
    Twitter: Andy_Wharton | PSN: thehumantarget86 | Xbox Live: humantarget86 | Steam: thehumantarget
  • New Killer Mike LP has some pretty tough beats on it, not bad.
  • I really didn't get along with it. I'm not sure if what he's doing there is regional, is that an ATL sort of thing? But I just found most of it abrasive and annoying. Still, enjoyed track 3 (from memory) and Reagan.

Dabbled in a bucketload of hip hop over the last few days actually. Trying to do catch up since about 7-10 years ago when I used to know wtf was going on a bit.

Dabbled in commercial and less so stuff:

Wale's mixtape about nothing is awesome. His albums go down hill quickly.

J-Cole: Cole World, Rick Ross: Deeper than Rap, and Wale's two studio albums are all kinda interchangable in a way.

memo to newish commercial releases:

1. You don't need 18-20 tracks on your album.
    2. Those tracks don't need to be 4 minutes and beyond.
    3. I don't care if jay Z/kanye/nas/old school whoever gave you love/didn't give you love.
    4. You aren't here to save hip hop.

The Blueprint really has ended up being the blueprint. I dunno, when you've got a relatively small selection of producers, all who have a thing that they do, and every album seems to have tracks by said producers, it can get very samey. There's the Just Blaze/kanye-esque intro track, lots of big drum fills, and epic choir/horns/strings. There's the couple of tracks with vocal hooks by john legend/cee-lo/that dude who did that lupe track/random auto tuned muppet. And a few other templates.

Perhaps that's why The Roots still actually sound coherant and interesting. They definitely have different sounds across different albums, but because they're a band, there's a common and original thread through them all.

Even Common's last one falls into a similar trap to the others mentioned above.

Of more underground stuff I got recommended:

Edan: can't get down with his voice, nor the old schoolish beats. Far from terrible, just not my thing.

OC and Apollo Brown: Trophies. Awesome. Very late 90s early 2000s semi underground, but just really good.

Roc Maciano: So 90s NY it's ridiculous. Dudes seem to love him, a little too 90s revisited for my liking.

After ODing on the hip hop, I have since listened to The Shins, Port of Sorrow, which is amaze. Also Bjork's last one. Which is also pretty awesome so far.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    ZMM wrote:
    My favourite album of last year, Hearts by these guys. This song is just so moving. Wait until that last melody comes in. Would liken them to a more electronic Sigur Ros without the annoying vocals, instead a dreamy female Swedish vocal takes centre stage.
    Moving, no.  Not bad though.  I like a shoegazey fuzz wall as much as the next man and this harks back to Girls by Death in Vegas, which I like.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Currently blissed out on this. 

• Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I'm listening to Harold Budd's The White Arcades today.  For some reason it always puts me in mind of a desolate, sun-baked urban environment.  Is good.
    Get schwifty.
  • Had queued up Django Django for my ride to work today.

• Currently pissing the wife off watching/ listening to the louisiana philomonic orchestra play video games music with a laser show,wow. Not bad apart from the twat with a spider man guitar jumping about like a tit.
    " video games live" sky arts 1 HD.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!