The importance of Sand
‹ Previous1234567
  • Lol! Gotta laugh!

I'm so happy though that I'm among those people who 'gets' Journey and how great it is. Feel sorry for the people who are missing out.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • There wasn't much to get, that was the central issue.
  • Uhh. Where have the page numbers gone on the iPad browser?
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Wait this could be about the band.

My answer is the same.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Try another thread, Sas.
  • Oh.
    Is there a point to this?
    I feel foolish and need to mock someone else.
  • Journey is amazing. I could have voted it in my GOTY list but there was one issue:
    Spoiler:
  • Brooks wrote:
    There wasn't much to get, that was the central issue.

True, not much to get. And people still didn't get it. What hope have those people got for anything more complicated? I worry for such simple minds. 

Guess they can stick to CoD.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Journey is amazing. I could have voted it in my GOTY list but there was one issue:
    Spoiler:

It's like he's dancing within the confines of the spoiler tag box. Hypnotic.
  • Also stated before, stating again: A piece of work that tells a tale of hardships overcome in a medium where you can literally make those things interactively hard to overcoming and elects not to/lacks the expertise to attempt to is a goddamn fudge. This will be thatgameco's critical miss 'til the day they wax insolvent.
  • You're all doomed. 

Doomed I tell you. 

Unless you convert and pray at the shrine of Journey.
  • This is all hypocrisy.
  • yeah, i watched journey through

thought it was really pretty.. but you dont actually do anythng but walk/float in a generally forward direction

but oh theres a sad bit! (AS FORETOLD!) but its not afterall, hurrah!
  • Brooks wrote:
    Also stated before, stating again: A piece of work that tells a tale of hardships overcome in a medium where you can literally make those things interactively hard to overcoming and elects not to/lacks the expertise to attempt to is a goddamn fudge. This will be thatgameco's critical miss 'til the day they wax insolvent.

Who says it's a tale of hardships? Did you read that in an interview somewhere?
    In this interview the devs talk a lot about the social aspect of the game and how they hoped to create an interesting and unique online experience, and to that end they definitely succeded imo.

They talk a bit about transcendence too, but that could be transcendence over any number of
    things i.e. apathy, boredom etc not just hardship.
  • Brooks does have a point though. Journey can mean different things to different people, specifically as the devs left it so open and ambiguous etc (which I really dig). So some people may see it as a tale of hardship in trying to complete a meaningful journey.
  • i saw it like... 'pretty things go on a journey, they do stuff, they see something sad, it happens, but doesnt, and hurrah'

i adored the artwork, t was extremely mature, and that game does not need a conventional narrative, but,THERE MUST BE SOME PLACE THAT CAN GO

it was silly, like some beautiful formulaic movie plot without all the crapness but really, not much outside that pattern
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Brooks does have a point though. Journey can mean different things to different people, specifically as the devs left it so open and ambiguous etc (which I really dig). So some people may see it as a tale of hardship in trying to complete a meaningful journey.

I don't think it's fair to call the devs out for fudging their chance to make the game interactively hard to reflect it's tale of a jouney of hardship, when as far as I know the devs never stated that it was their intention to create that type of journey to begin with. That's the point I was trying to make. I didn't read much about the game, so I was curious to see If Brooks had read that it was supposed to be that kind of journey, in an interview somewhere.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Patch Flower with co-op and it'd be the better game.
  • Liking that idea, though a second player with tons of petals streaming behind would probably be too much for the ol' PS3. Next-gen Flower 2, with co-op and Move/Kinect support would be amazing.
  • Maybe that's not what the devs wanted it to be, but I can see Brooks's point of view, is all. A player is entitled to glean from a game what he may, specially in an interpretable game. Brooks maybe saw it as a tale of hardship, and was disappointed that there wasn't any actual hardship in the playing of the game.

I thought hardship was portrayed quite well to be honest. Portrayed, mind. Not necessarily in the play (which is Brooks's gripe).
  • Yeah, I agree that the game represented hardship visually and for me emotionally quite well at times, and I also agree that people have different kinds of experiences in Journey, which is what I was trying to say when talking about transcendence in my first post.
    Though I don't agree that it's alright to call out/criticise developers for games they didn't make. Like I said to my knowledge, if they didn't set out to create a journey of hardship, then I don't think it fair to be critical when the game's mechanics don't compliment the journey of hardship, that it wasn't their intention to create.
    Hm, maybe I'm not explaining this very well.
  • Yeah, true, I'm going to give that video a watch tomorrow/today.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Wait this could be about the band. My answer is the same.

How F'in dare you.

http://FunnyOrDie.com/m/5laf
  • when i saw it it was like 'this is what you do' *you do it* 'heres another thing you do' *you do it*

NONE OF THIS IS HARD ITS NOT A HARD GAME

then eventually 'you are bend over, this may suck' THIS IS THE HARD BIT I MIGHT CRY

you get there then WHOOSH NO ITS OK ITS MARIO 64

Bam, beautiful game

ARGH
  • Indigo: Authorial Intent is bunk, has been for a while. If it proffers a narrative coherent - which I believe it strives to - in all but one crucial area of the whole text, which to me is y'know the whole rules and mechanics bit, it fails.
  • Journey and the search for emotional gaming

Jenova Chen speaking at the '13 Dice summit. Some really interesting stuff, though it does contain lots of references to authorial intentions, those with post-structuralist leanings may find it to be quite the bunkfest :)
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Bastard never signed my CD. Wintory did though. Chen was too busy for me. Gave the disc as a prezzie to someone not exppecting it. Because love.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Is the CD still available? I've got the first print signed artbook though. It's bloody gorgeous.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Dunno- There's a thatgamecompany shop out there. I'd expect it to be available but maybe not signed as it was a limited run of ones signed by N related to the game.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Ah, what I said is actually already in Indigo's link.
‹ Previous1234567

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!