Raspberry Pi
  • Hello, I like this idea and may well copy you if it's a success.
  • Theres a video on Youtube where a guys put a MAME Raspberry Pi into one of those Xarcade tank sticks. Looks really good. SNES, NES, SEGA etc all available for you to play in one complete unit.

I accidently forgot I ordered 2 Pi's so having one thats just for games would be pretty cool. The other can be used for all the other fun stuff. Although I may sell the spare and get a new 512 as the first one is a 256 model.
    The next generation doesn't start until MAG comes out. 

PSN: Naemuckle
    STEAM: Naemuckle
  • That looks pretty cool actually but I like the portability of my idea. Means I can use it on any tv in the house if I want to. Plus I don't even use my arcade stick anymore so it'd make me feel less guilty everytime I see it.

• beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Scotswahey wrote:
    71473_10151469328521427_289463067_n.jpg So it turns out a pretty stable build of MAME will run on the Raspberry Pi. After contemplating sticking one of my Pi's in a toy Dr Who Tardis I've come to my senses and thought an arcade machine would be better. So I've dug out my arcade stick (which has been gathering dust) and rewired it last night. Plan is to put all the parts inside the arcade stick. Just need to get paid and then I'll order a few parts. - Powered USB hub to power the Pi and everything else - Wifi dongle - HDMI wall mount - Short HDMI cable - Momentary push button (You can fit jumper pins to the board with 2 wires coming off it to a switch. It resets the Pi and if powers still applied the Pi will boot up again when you press it.) - High capacity Micro SD card - Low profile Micro SD card holder that sits flush with the pi - Funky poster to put under the perspex. I want to have a HDMI wall mount on the outside of the case so I can plug it into the telly. The USB hub will power the Pi so turning on the power should boot the machine up. But as well as that I'd like a reset button so I'll put an arcade push button on the back of the stick out of the way. As always this is going to take me ages to get around to doing. Also hello again people.

This is well swell, what are your thoughts on hooking the stick up to the Pi? I mean, are you going in through a USB hub?
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Thats what I need to figure out. The stick uses a playstation 1 (non analogue) controller pcb. Hopefully I can just plug it into the hub using my ps2 to usb crossover. If it doesn't work I'm kinda screwed unless I go down the scary looking gpio route.

• beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    There's stuff for that out there for PS2 via the USB though compatibility on which converter you have looks hit and miss.

You're using the PIMAME aye?
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • Yup thats the exact site I downloaded from but I've not even done the whole compiling thing yet. I hear it takes up to 6 hours to do.

• beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Wowza- that's a serious make action.
  • So I plugged the joystick into the Pi and got nothing. Turns out you have to set the Joystick to auto. Even then all I'm getting functionality from are X and Square. Not really sure where to go next with this but theres bound to be a way. If it all fails I'll just have to splash £20 on one of these. I imagine it's a lot easier to setup.

• beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    For 20quid that's alright. I was gonna suggest that you get a Gert board (30quid) or similar (20quid) from Farnell if you hadn't have mentioned taking the DS2-USB converter.

Presuming you've searched the Pi boards on DS2 controlers?
  • No I havent really done a proper search of the Pi boards. I dunno what it is about that forum but it's full of some overly excited tech speak heavy geeks. They tell you the topline stuff you need to know but if you're a complete novice like me then you haven't got a clue what they're on about.

The only kernal I know sells fried chicken.

• Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Hah shit, no way.

Getting on it!
  • beano wrote:
    Hah shit, no way. Getting on it!

Let us know how you get on , I'm interested in getting one but mainly as an emulator
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I can actually go in work tomorrow and legitimately do this as a research task!
  • They've built it so you can go into the code and mess about with it. Pretty cool really.

• Men I can't seem to get it running. Think I need a fresh raspian image.

• dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Scotswahey wrote:
    Men I can't seem to get it running. Think I need a fresh raspian image.

I'm quite sure there are prebuilt images based on Rasbian of Mame for Pi knocking about...
    There are builds here apparently...

http://blog.sheasilverman.com/pimame-raspberry-pi-os-download/

Might be interested in testing that myself... Let us know if you get it running?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • I've got the shea silverman image of Mame. Thats what I tried to get Minecraft running on. I just figured that he'd built the mame thing ontop so it booted into it. But it's maybe slightly different... pretty sure it's something I missed.

MAME was running fine on it using the silverman image anyway. Just not downloaded any roms so far. I just want to get Minecraft running well so the little one uses something other than the iPad!

480180_10151487996471427_1184588784_n.jpg

• dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Minecraft won't need MAME. Just Raspbian, and a memory stick with Minecraft on it. 
    You'll have to boot it from the command line though... I haven't been in a rush to try it, tbh...

The instructions are on the official Minecraft page.

http://pi.minecraft.net/
  • Yeah I know it doesn't need mame but the mame image I have is built on top of raspian. If you hit escape twice it takes you to the command line. You can startx and get into normal raspian. That's where I tried getting minecraft working. Downloaded it, unpacked it but when it came to running it said something like sync error.

• Yey!

• dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    How is the game on Pi, performance-wise?
  • It's ok.... There are some issues like if you go full screen and into the block selection menu the cursor only moves within the area of the un expanded view. There isn't a survival mode either depressingly.

Then again its early days. I doubt it'll be left as is.

• Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Bonus points for the music.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • That looks like a slightly different hack. There was a guy that did one with a colour screen but I don't think he had the buttons functioning. 

P.S I'm writing this from my Pi. God it/s a handy wee bugger.

• Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    All my hours in the labs are being thrown on a network/domain and private cloud build atm. Nice to see/read what you're up to Scotts.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!