Destiny 2 - Developed by Bungie
  • Just tell me which planet to conquer!!
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    I've only played Halo 1 and 3. What are Armour Locks and Ordinance Drops and why do folks despise them?
    Armour Lock was an Armour Ability added in Reach which allowed people to become invincible for what could feel like forever, about a million times a game (depending on a timer refilling) that became like a get out of jail free card for people who were losing fights. It was very frustrating to play against and ruined the flow of the game.

Ordnance is the new way of getting power weapons in many of the Halo 4 game types, for which you need to get a set number of points for things like kills, assists, flag caps etc, then you can call in a power weapon. Again, this completely changed how Halo played, making camping a viable option instead of needing to push on weapon spawn points (which coincidentally made the invisibility AA far more powerful and irritating to play against) as well as nerfing vehicles for most of a match as no-one wants to get in a Warthog if there's a strong possibility of someone on the other team being in possession of a Splaser/Rockets/Lolcannon.
  • Let's not sully this thread with talk of Armor Lock ;)
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    If you insist, Billy.

Still, we've all got our fingers crossed for the inclusion of bloom, right?
  • I've watched through 'brave new world' earlier on.

Most, if not all, of the interviews in the new vidoc were from that same time, incl. Jason Jones - so what, 2-3 years ago now?

Not exactly sure what my point is there.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    I've only played Halo 1 and 3. What are Armour Locks and Ordinance Drops and why do folks despise them?

They're shit things, despised because they're shite.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Digging around b.net for the first time since its redesign, not to mention the first time for quite a while before that, and I'm both being reminded just what a poor imitation Waypoint is (whilst I quite enjoyed BS Angel in her blogging days, she's a long way off the quality of Frankie or Urk in the writing department), and why I love Bungie so much in the first place. There's more personality and humour dripping off pretty much every page than on any other devcos' website I can think of combined.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    So armour lock is a genuine design cockup and ordinance is an unneeded piece of influence from cod. Got it.
  • Pretty much. Armour Lock actually wasn't an instant win button, it had some pretty specific uses, but the only place it really fitted in well was in Invasion, because it was handy against vehicles.

The rest of the time, it was used by shit players and did nothing but slow play down. The number of games we had where we were just stuck waiting for people to come out of AL with 3 or 4 of us waiting to finish 'em off was silly.

The title update did nerf it a little, which was better, but it was still a misstep.

Ordnance is exactly that, but I think it's made worse by the armor abilities in H4, and is definitely worse in the Big team list. Invis + no need to move = BORING grind.

Anyhoo, Destiny.
    JRPC wrote:
    Well this certainly looks familiar.

du4Ge73.jpg

Are those ranks I see...?

City is a Hub, next bit is campaign, the rest could all safely house co-op and regular VS MP. Faction Wars sounds like it'd have TDM style stuff. I guess the question really is, are these like seperate playlists with different gametypes in them, or are there multiple variations within them.

Chump makes a good point re the story though. Given they're explicitly talking about a 10 year cycle, hopefully the story and such hold up a little better.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • So destiny is halo reskinned then on a grander scale? Dont give two hoots about "always on" bollocks. All i care about is the sp campaign. Fron what ive seen which is admittely only stuff on ign im not that impressed. The next gen demo from e3 of that other game (hacking mobile fones, shootout at junction) looked more interesting.
  • Get the feeling that treating the campaign as SP may mean you miss out on what they're aiming at.

Also, I wonder where the forge equiv is hiding. The City? The mention of massive variety in the vidoc makes me think it'll be in there. Have to wonder if it'll be aiming for players being able to make mini-missions with AI and the like.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    So destiny is halo reskinned then on a grander scale? Dont give two hoots about "always on" bollocks. All i care about is the sp campaign.

I'm not sure that any kind of truly SP campaign exists anymore.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    What is this persistent online world stuff?
  • Facewon@ i get that socially connected will be the big think for the next gen games but my point is that what if you dont want to play online or play drop in drop out or mutliplayer? Does that mean the sp campaign will be lip service only? Or as cod is going, a hold ur hand training scenario sp campaign for mutliplayer?
    I get that im not the demograph these new consoles are gonna be aimed at primarily. I dont do mp i prefer sp campaigns, just wondering aloud if sp are gonna become an after thought to mutliplayer / mmo etc design.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I think for this, drop in, drop out multiplayer will be compulsory. Having said that, there's already talk of Portal 2 style gestures for it so it doesn't necessarily mean you'll have to talk to randoms, or even acknowledge their presence if you don't want to, it just means that you won't always be alone in the world.

@Paul, the persistent online stuff has only been hinted at so far, so what that means is anyone's guess.
  • What is this persistent online world stuff?

Correct me if im wrong, but like w.o.w where you drop in / drop out of a game that is primarily hosted in a cloud?
    Basically game world continues to evolve whilst you are away / not logged in.
    Constant additions to the game i.e. DLC etc.
    Think defintely suggests end of 2nd hand games for next gen
  • If they expand on what Cromehounds was trying to do, I'll be excited.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Reading this Polygon Bungie studio visit article, and came across this interesting little snippet:
    Bulla comes to Bungie via Rockstar, the studio best known for its open-world crime spree series Grand Theft Auto. Bulla's last game with Rockstar was the widely acclaimed, mega-selling Red Dead Redemption. It was a game renowned for its vast open world, innovative gameplay and compelling narrative. It was "game of the year" almost everywhere. Bulla was a senior designer. Now he's at Bungie because he wants to break new ground in video games. He mentions this by way of suggesting contrast.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    So destiny is halo reskinned then on a grander scale? Dont give two hoots about "always on" bollocks. All i care about is the sp campaign.
    I'm not sure that any kind of truly SP campaign exists anymore.

The impression I've got is that there are traditional campaign missions as well as coop missions, but all of them are 'shared spaces' so you're likely to come across other players in any of them. Bit like Journey from what I hear (although I've never played it).
  • @dino: I doubt that we'll see the end of Sp campaigns wholesale, I'm only talking about destiny. You may well not be the demographic. They're talking about MP in a big way, and they've always been big on the MP. If that's not your bag, then I'd look elsewhere.
  • Journey/Dark Souls style MP in the campaign could actually be fucking awesome.
  • Going with the CH style world with a living story etc. remember getting recruited to take on special missions in that, only to discover they'd dropped brand new screen size Super Weapon mechs in, was crazy. Stuff like that, plz.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    With always changing enemy types/mission parameters too.
  • Im curious will we ever get another deus ex, system shock 2, half life, bioshock type sp again or am i just doom mongering?
    Anyway i digress. In the end bungie do a.i. in fps better than anyone else and they know how to make good solid fps mechanics so i guess it will probably be awesome.
  • Well, Bioshock infinite has an SP campaign, doesn't it? So yes.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    There's room for all kinds of ways of approaching FPS games (and games in general). Bungie just want to do something, um, what's the word, y'know, the one that described Halo so well? Ah, yes: Revolutionary.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Shyam, your dodgy OP is forgiven for the thread title.

Bungie <3
  • Olimite wrote:
    With always changing enemy types/mission parameters too.

Fairly similar to CH except that was primarily VS stuff.

Thing is, they've said they've built a system that does stuff beyond their control, so it's probably going to be a Faction based vs game, with instanced VS missions and co-op missions that give you loott/XP, except with parameters decided by the game's cloud. It'll be like firefight with infinite permutations, and a hostile Human element.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    It'll be like firefight with infinite permutations, and a hostile Human element.

I think I just peed myself a little.
  • What's CH?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!