Castlevania - What a horrible night to have a curse
‹ Previous123456712
  • A place for us to discuss past present and future games in the Castlevania series.
    Castlevania_logo.png
    Series Entries and review averages
    xVonl07.jpg
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    And my 3DS one should arrive tomorrow
  • Indeed. One of my favourite series, although I only really started with Super Castlevania IV, which was all sorts of awesome. One thing I life about the series is the amazing music. Aforementioned SCIV was great, but I think SotN has one of the best soundtracks ever, and Lament of Innocence is a highlight too. Michiru Yamane's music is lovely.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    SotN is an incredible game. I never finished the flipped castle though.
    Never finished 4, got it when I was too young to understand what was really going on. Have been dipping in and out of first one on VC and really enjoying how rigid it is.
  • Agreed, CV music is superb.

SCIV is still my favourite in the series and indeed one of my fav SNES games.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I used to love Castlevania 2 Simon's Quest on NES but haven't played any since then.

http://youtu.be/yJiwVKldv_4
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • The soundtracks of the old ones are quality even the old Gameboy ones. Actually, especially the old Gameboy ones. But for some reason since those days of yore I have never been tempted by the series.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I played the 360 one to a point an then stopped. If I like the 3DS one I may pick it up again.
  • Lords of Shadow doesn't quite have that good a soundtrack, but it fits the in screen action and atmosphere/style just fine. 

Re: old tunes, Vampire Killer and Tears of Blood are timeless classics. My favourites from SotN are Woid Carving Partita, The Tragic Prince, Olrox's Headquarters, the underground waterfall... too many good ones!!!

I think the Metroidvania formula was getting tired by the time of the third DS game (Order of Ecclesia), so Lords of Shadow was a welcome change. Looking forward to the sequel.
  • I love the old school platforming CV games, basically the 8/16Bit ones are class - apart from II, sorry stellavista.

I played SotN and the first GBA one but I never clicked with the Metrovania style, not sure why as I love Metroid.

Played 64 and the first PS2 one for a fair bit but neither were great. Completed LoS on PS3, thought it was a decent enough game but it felt like a God of War clone instead of a 3D Castlevania game.

Looking forward to the 3DS one, seems like a mix of LoS and the old platforming ones from what I've heard.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • This little tune still rings in my head whenever I accomplish pretty much anything...

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • "Just be sure to tell your next of kin before you begin."

That is some quality copywriting right there.
  • Rondo of Blood is the best of the series and has the best soundtrack.

PSP version is particularly good.
  • Loved portrait of ruin on the DS.
    Of course you know who I am..
  • Just picked up order of ecclesia and portrait of ruin on ds for 25 quid. Saving the former for the plane journey to tokyo later this year. Still got the gba castlevanias to finish off. Though its so long since i played them i may have to start from scratch.
  • Although Symphony of the Night is off the agreed best in show, I have a real soft spot for the Soma Cruz games, Aria of Sorrow and Dawn if Sorrow, which are absolute favourites.

Also Lament of Innocence is a belter, viciously entertaining with a lot of excellent music.
  • I've never played a Castlevania game that I've liked.  Only ever played bits here and there though.  Just never got into it.  

The most I've played of one was Lords of Shadow.  Just felt like God of War 3 but with hour upon hour of filler.

I don't mean to be a hater in the Castlevania thread btw.  I'm not looking for an argument.  It's a series that I wish I was into more.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Also Lament of Innocence is a belter, viciously entertaining with a lot of excellent music.

Yeah, I'm not sure why some people don't like it. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole game. 
    Matt_82 wrote:
    The most I've played of one was Lords of Shadow.  Just felt like God of War 3 but with hour upon hour of filler.

I see how people make comparisons with GoW, it's the combat, isn't it? Except that Castlevania is a far better game. GoW has always been utter dog crap.
  • Sucked after SotN. Even SotN is more fun in Belmont mode.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Sucked after SotN. Even SotN is more fun in Belmont mode.

It was certainly more challenging! Possibly due to the limited move and weapon set.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Matt_82 wrote:
    I see how people make comparisons with GoW, it's the combat, isn't it? Except that Castlevania is a far better game. GoW has always been utter dog crap.

If you say so, fella.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    God of War ain't shit.

I've got Lords of Shadow on a buy pile at work come next pay day. Only game i've actually played in the series is Dawn of Sorrow which was good but I got stuck on some penis monster boss in a tower and never want back to it.

I see SoN that everyone raves about is on PSN. I'll get it at some point and see what the fuss is about.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    It was certainly more challenging! Possibly due to the limited move and weapon set.

What's this Belmont mode of which ye speak?
    Finished SOTN last year for the first time (true ending) and barring the short opening, played Alucard only throughout. Loved it, a different character and higher difficulty would give me a welcome excuse for a second playthrough.
  • Loved pretty much all the 2D games - played the original to death when I was a kid, though I could never finish it. The 3D games have been hit and miss, with the first PS2 game being the best I've played of those, and Lords of Shadow being one of the most boring games I've ever played.

Played Mirror of Fate at EG last year and was very impressed, but not enough to buy a 3DS for. I'll wait for the inevitable HD version.
  • indigo wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    What's this Belmont mode of which ye speak? Finished SOTN last year for the first time (true ending) and barring the short opening, played Alucard only throughout. Loved it, a different character and higher difficulty would give me a welcome excuse for a second playthrough.

I think it's something like just entering your name as Belmont.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yep. It basically forces you to play it like SNES castlevania
  • Does it have the 8 directional whipping?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Ah, Symphony of the Night. What a belter of a game. Got that on 360 and couldn't stop playing it. Genius design. Only one achievement left. Finish the flipped castle as Belmont I think. Fucking nails. Lords of Shadow was fantastic, but underrated. Looking forward to the sequel. Any news on it? E3 I suppose...
  • .....and mode-7 rotating rooms? Super Castlevania 4 ftw.

This sounds great, should make for an interesting re-play.
  • Best bit in SCIV was the man and his dog. Made me feel sad. Great music in that bit. Almost cheery and melancholic at the same time. Is that what is known as dissonance? I'm not big on musical terms.
  • Speaking of which, Harmony of Dissonance is one of the best game names ever.

I've played quite a few of the Castlevanias, starting with IV, then moving on to SotN and varous handheld versions, and then Lords of Shadow.

The Metroidvania style ones have never been able to hit the highs of SotN again, although Dawn of Sorrow was rather good. I don't think it's possible because game design has to be too user friendly nowadays - it can't just leave you to get lost like in SotN, and in the end that was it's greatest strength. The last DS one, Order of Ecclesia, was very tired and it would take a real reinvention to get me interested in the 2D games again. I'll keep an eye on the sequel to Lords of Shadow though, as the first was well put together.
‹ Previous123456712

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!