Gigs
‹ Previous123456762
  • Just got me tickets for this years Sound City.  I've boycotted it since they went over to wristbands, "it works out 25p a band!"  No it doesn't.  There's only a couple of bands on the bill that everyone wants to see.  Cue lots of queuing outside venues trying to get in (w'bands don't guarantee you entry) and wasting time that could be spent getting paralytic at the bar.

On a needless negative vibe again.  This years festival is actually a darn good line up, and just too good to ignore.  Looking forward to seeing The Walkmen, the delightful Findlay, Everything Everything, and Darwin Deez somewhere in a disused car park in the early hours.

I know we have a festival thread somewhere, but this is strictly for gigs: best venues you've been to and one-off   performances you're looking forward to

Particularly interested in hearing from anyone whose frequented the Ritz or the Ruby Lounge in Mancland cos never been to either.  Deaf Institute is pretty good though.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Saw Eilen Jewell a few weeks ago at the Bush Hall in Shepherd's Bush, which was my first visit to the venue.  The sound was excellent and all the staff seemed friendly.  I'm going back there to see The Deep Dark Woods on the 4th, and I've got tickets to see Shovels & Rope at Dingwalls on the 10th, which I'm looking forward to immensely as I've become a huge fan of their recent album (O' Be Joyful, released over here this month I think). 

I'd also recommend The Windmill in Brixton, which regularly hosts some great alt country acts.
  • As an exclusive lover of electronic music, i tend to find the gig type affairs quite sterile. Too crowded, poor dancing space, regimented positions, shitty start/finishing times etc. Perhaps i've just attended the wrong type in the past, but the best nights out for me are always with the lesser known acts and in smaller venues. 

Apologies if that's an anti-contribution
  • Seeing Godspeed at the Great American Music Hall in San Fran was pretty special. My friend and I were on the balcony and had a meal included in our ticket. The experience was only sullied by the cunts would wouldn't stop talking/laughing etc just nearby even when everyone around them kept telling them to shut the fuck up. I mean seriously, get the fuck out if you want to sit and chat instead of listen.

I've got Muse coming up at the Emirates Stadium at the end of May. I'm looking forward to finally seeing them. I had a chance before but work got in the way.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    As an exclusive lover of electronic music, i tend to find the gig type affairs quite sterile. Too crowded, poor dancing space, regimented positions, shitty start/finishing times etc. Perhaps i've just attended the wrong type in the past, but the best nights out for me are always with the lesser known acts and in smaller venues.  Apologies if that's an anti-contribution

As much as I can and do enjoy electronic music, I don't think it translates to a live gig very well. Sequenced drums simply don't have the energy and excitement of live ones, no matter how good they are.

Anyhow, I've just got back from seeing OBE live for the second time, and it's been years since U've been this excited about a band. If you like intelligent rock music, you really should check them out.
  • Last week went to Bleeding Through's farewell tour at the Underworld. Seen them several times, but my god was that a special gig. The crowd was frenetic the entire night, pretty much a constant sea of crowdsurfers. Brandan Schieppati has such a stage presence it's unreal. Probably the best atmosphere I've ever experienced at a gig.

When the crowd rushed the stage at the end and lifted him up I swear to god I nearly broke down in tears.
  • Last thing I saw was Death Grips at the WWW in Shibuya. Short but solid, and got 'round the abovementioned sequenced percussion problem by hooking a live kit to trigger sample banks of whatever drum sounds were called for by the tracks. I consider this the ideal.

I hope The Knife tour the new LP here now I've decided it owns.

Bit barren otherwise. Grimes was here the other week, which I don't care for, and the Odd Future mob roll in next month to promote Tyler's new record. Don't really care for that either.

Easier to find interesting club nights. Like the Shirt, am more at home in those spaces.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The missus booked tickets to see Mogwai performing the soundtrack to the Zidane film live at the Barbican in July. Should be interesting.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Tool tomorrow night, always good for a larf.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • They're at Laver this time aren't they?

As for electronic music,  I've seen a couple of good acts but they tend to be ones that have real instruments blended in. The Field were absolutely amazing as a live act as he'd formed a band to tour with.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    They were/are.

MJK amusingly fucked up the intro to Vicarious by coming in too early, then waiting and coming in again.  Then he lost his voice for a few verses and drank a bottle of water before resuming.  He dropped out of a few other verses later on in another song, may have been Schism.  Anyway, the first half was messy, but BY CHRIST the second half was top shelf.  All the best stuff and they nailed em all.  

Second half was the best form I'd seen them in, at least equal to their last show which was pretty amazing.  Still got it.  Carey is mesmerizing, inhumanly capable with drumsticks.  We got Sober which was nice, and Pushit which I have always wanted to hear live.  They nailed that nicely.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Also, when they say no video, they mean it.  Guy in front of us was literally carried out by security after filming for a bit.  He was big, but the security guys were huge.  One was islander type build, must have been pushing 120kg and not especially fat.
  • They're at Laver this time aren't they? As for electronic music,  I've seen a couple of good acts but they tend to be ones that have real instruments blended in. The Field were absolutely amazing as a live act as he'd formed a band to tour with.

Mentioned it before, but this!

https://soundcloud.com/sommersonnesoundsystem/molle

Best live electronic music act i've seen. Although they blend with acoustic stuff too.
  • Skerret wrote:
    Also, when they say no video, they mean it.  Guy in front of us was literally carried out by security after filming for a bit.

I approve.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    So do I as it happens.  I don't mind the odd photo for posterity and all that, but constant photos or video can fuck right off.

It's well known that Keenan isn't, er, keen on such things so the guy might feel hard done by, but stiff shit.
  • Just discovered The Walkmen are playing the Anglican Cathedral for Sound City.  I do hope those Protestants have a beer hall crypt like their Catholic brethren.  I don't do dry gigs.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • I saw The Walkmen supporting The Black Keys in Brixton few years ago.  I walked in halfway through their set, and their drummer had just starting tearing the house down during what turned out to be The Rat.  I only ever bought that album, but still, great track, wish we'd arrived a few minutes earlier.
  • I just discovered Dizzee Rascal is supporting Muse when I see them. I like this new development.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I've seen Dizzee twice. Had a great time.
  • Mr Deez certainly didn't disappointment last night.  Highlight was him stopping mid-set to proclaim he was the 'Hipster Jesus', leaping onto to the drumkit to take up a crucifix pose, surrounded by his apostle band members at his feet who proceeded to 'take sacrament' for him.  DD then 'walked amongst us' giving out bread and wine.

Guys an absolute fruitloop, but he puts on a bloody good show.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    blocks, come see stealing sheep. I'm currently missing the flaming mammies due to poor service.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • I actual got a 3-day wrist band but was a tad wasted last night so I am having to bail on the mammies.
    If it had been any other venue, I might have made the effort but Bold St Coffee Shop?, you can't swing a cat in there!
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    It was daft, at least 100 people all stood up, on the benches everything. Rolled in at the end of the mammies, sadly. Stealing Sheep weren't even confirmed and didn't play. Bum note.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • To be fair, I never expected the Sheep to turn up for that gig; they put in a decent performance at the Epstein Theatre on Thursday night so that was ok; probably won't see them again until they release some new stuff.

Despite my previous opposition to how they handle things at Sound City, I have to report that the whole festival was handled with some aplomb. The only serious ques were outside the Kazimier for Thee oh Sees, but I wasn't going to miss Everything for them.  Despite the gig sounding pretty awesome by all accounts.

Manc lads were well worth the effort though, Photoshop Handsome being a surprising highlight. He can maintain that voice in a live auditorium afterall.

And the pop-up venues were brilliant. Garage and Art Academy functioned as ideal warehouse spaces with enough space to appease even Code's dance moves.  Really great venues and they deserve a life span outside this fest.

Doubtful whether they can replicate this years stella line-up for 2014, but I definitely come out of it as a convert.

Hope those attending the Sound City in Leeds have a similar experience..
  • I was considering Sound City in Leeds, but decided I couldn't be arsed with potentially missing the bands I wanted to see because the venues were full.
  • I missed the last 40 minutes of the Walkmen so I could see Everything.  If you're prepared to make that sort of sacrifice then it's worth it.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I found if I just said "No" when asked for a wristband I was allowed in anyway. Which was all kinds of confusing. I did use the line, "I work here though." on a number of occasions and nobody checked.

Not sure I could get away with that all the weekend as the stewards asking move from door to door but was good for the saturday night.

edit: Blocks, while you're here you might be interested http://www.sevenstreets.com/22825/77-things-to-do-in-liverpool-spring/ <- I only wish it was in chronological order.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Last thing I saw was Death Grips at the WWW in Shibuya. Short but solid, and got 'round the abovementioned sequenced percussion problem by hooking a live kit to trigger sample banks of whatever drum sounds were called for by the tracks. I consider this the ideal..
    Went to them last weekend, was ok in the end. How many people performing when you went to see them? Youtube vids I'd seen suggested 3 members, but there were only 2 on stage. No drummer.

Must have been the first concert where they were handing out free earplugs. "It will get really loud", the girl behind the desk said.

Thought his voice wasn't very good, compared to the beats. Could hardly hear anything. Beats were good, but all too similar, which made the whole show about an hour of leaning against a soundwall of very heavy bass, with some differences here and there.
    Vibe in the Melkweg was very good, most people were enjoying themselves (incl me, I needed this after a few shit days at work) and those that weren't were polite enough to just leave. Just a shame I had the feeling it could have been a bit more.

Pennywise was playing in the other room, still think I made the right choice there.

Only other upcoming gigs I have are Sally Ford (as my mother in law wants to see them, could turn out ok) and The National. Should really look at what Bimhuis has the offer this year, place to be if you want an evening of posh beers and jazz music, atmosphere is always pretty good there.
  • Last gig i went to were Thee Oh Sees and they killed it. Was in a small pub in Leeds and really energetic and fun. Those Cali garage bands know how to get a party atmosphere going.
  • They were supposd to be amaze at Sound City too. Gutted I missed them :(
  • They are well worth seeing. As is Ty segall, caught him a while back. They have a great scene for energetic garage rock over there.
‹ Previous123456762

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!