State of Decay
‹ Previous123456718
  • So either I've missed the thread on this amid all the E3 stuff, or the B&B is overlooking what looks like the almost "ideal" zombie game.

Open world, set up/defend bases, manage scarce resources.

And only £15 on Xbox live

Check out the review (and read the very positive comment section)

Or point me in the direction of the thread where you're all already discussing it and I can feel suitably embarrassed. Ta.
  • Little bit of chat about it last few pages in the XBLA thread: http://www.thebearandbadger.co.uk/discussion/107/xbla#Item_1281
  • Ah crappit. Sorry.

Maybe worth its own thread though?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    If they MP thing gets added then it'll definitely be worth its own thread from the sounds of things.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Whatever happened to that zombie survival/minecraft like game that Epic were working on?

Fortnite or something.
  • State seems fun btw, strangely bad gfx though, does not compute.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Noticed this, looks good.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • it's ok - but seeing as Dead Rising was around the launch of the 360 this really should be better/more polished imo.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Very little came close to Dead Rising through the entirety of the 360 generation.
  • J1m1
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Beelzespud
    Xbox
    Beelzespud
    Steam
    Beelzespud

Send message
    I got this yesterday after playing the demo.  

As other people have pointed out that it is unpolished and has clipping issues all over the place but I'm finding myself being very forgiving because of the effort that has gone in to create atmosphere.

Trying to sneak back to base, heavily laden with supplies, and running into a horde really does get the heart racing.

That reminds me, there are a couple of hastily abandoned backpacks I need to go back for.
    Live/Steam - Beelzespud
  • Is this 360 only?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Bought it yesterday and really like it. The atmosphere of the game is perfect. Co op play should be great if they can implement it. 4 guys going on a supply run at night to a nearby gun shop for ammo, or to the hospital for medicne for the pregnant woman back at base, all the while it remains a persistent world where if you die you respawn as a new character and have to meet up with your crew again.

It could be epic.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Is this 360 only?

On console yes. There's supposedly a PC version coming.
  • J1m1
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Beelzespud
    Xbox
    Beelzespud
    Steam
    Beelzespud

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    Is this 360 only?
    On console yes. There's supposedly a PC version coming.

Hopefully the graphical issues can be sorted for PC.  I'd buy it again for PC.

As an example of some of the technical limitations, I was driving down a road at full pelt and suddenly came to a crashing halt only to have an over-turned lorry slowly render in front of me.

If that sort of stuff gets your goat then you'll struggle with this game.
    Live/Steam - Beelzespud
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I'm hopping a few of these graphics issues can be rectified with a couple of patches. The shadows are especially irritating for me. I would rather they weren't so intricate (as in trying to render every leaf) if that is what is causing them to be so overt and blocky. But I can get past that, I love it still.
  • i wish you could also order people around a bit. going on supply runs is a pain when you know you have 15 people at home base, with several doing nothing - instead, you have to travel to the building yourself and radio from there. bit tedious after a while. 

also one of the dudes in my party keeps getting angry and i have to go back to base and take him on a walk and let him work out some frustration on a zombie or two. it happens so fahhhking often i'm half minded just to kill this dickhead, if you can.
    J1m1 wrote:
    I got this yesterday after playing the demo.   As other people have pointed out that it is unpolished and has clipping issues all over the place but I'm finding myself being very forgiving because of the effort that has gone in to create atmosphere.

truth
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    It sounds like it has had an ambitious and difficult development. Here's hoping the sales might see it get a bit more love. I noticed Phil was wearing a State of Decay T-shirt yesterday.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yeah, I saw that. Hopefully a sign that its going to get a bit of TLC
  • Finally started to get some extra outposts sorted, effectively surrounding my home base with safe zones against horde onslaughts.

I keep trying to head out to do story missions, but the constant need to babysit other survivors prevents me from making any progress. It's great at keeping you on your toes but it gets a bit overwhelming at times, balancing progress and scavenging with helping out survivors.

I keep getting lumbered with "too many infestations" but there aren't any nearby. Seems a bit odd to be told they've been spotted, but not given any information as to where they actually are.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    There are far too many missions playing out at any one time, it's impossible to do even half of them while keeping your supplies stocked. I've constantly got people with issues back at base, survivors getting lost and infestations to clear out. A little down time would be lovely.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Should make repeated play through rewarding though. Lost my first guy just now. I got torn limb from limb. How do you set up an outpost? I have no idea how to do that.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I've not done it myself yet, I was planning on moving into the town in the south west of the map first. I think it gives you a prompt to radio base when you clear then search a suitable location.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Sounds a bit roguelike. Shades of FTL?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Faster than light? No, not really.
  • Should make repeated play through rewarding though. Lost my first guy just now. I got torn limb from limb. How do you set up an outpost? I have no idea how to do that.
    Once you fully search a location you can press down on the d-pad, bringing up a radio menu wherein you can call for an outpost to be set up (there are other choices, too). It costs 50 influence for every outpost, but it's worth it as they can take out hordes with traps.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    Sounds a bit roguelike. Shades of FTL?
    Nah, even if you get your main guy killed (as I haven't yet so it must be quite easy) your base and other survivors will still be there.

You're supposed to switch between characters regularly too, so they all get a taste of the zombie stomping and gain experience, but since I've only been able to play in short bursts I've stuck to one guy. If I loose him I'll weep.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Once you set up an outpost, is it a drain on resources?
  • i don't think so. i believe it's just a place with a locker. not quite sure how the traps work, but they seem to sort themselves out without my input
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    So they're not manned either? I thought it would take at least one person go keep it zed free, but I suppose the traps do the job. You can't get caught in your own traps can you?

Also, what's going on with the supplies? Do they respawn?
  • so far, no. once you rinse a building it's rinsed. i've not seen or noticed the traps once it says they're set... don't really understand it tbh.

man, i used that army woman you meet near the start for most of my missions, got her to a pretty tough level, she just tore through zombies even with bare fists. then she died in horrific fashion by one of those super fat zombies. and now the rest of my survivors are pussies! lowest levels on every stat! and the first one i took out on a mission died immediately!
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I'm not a fan of the super zeds, pure game bullshit right there. Fair enough if the big bastards physically overpower you, but making their bonce bullet proof? Rubbish.

The gun store near the church definitely got restocked in my game, but only with weapons, no ammo crates. I don't know whether restocking the buildings would be a mistake or not. It adds to the realism, but once I've ransacked the gun store where the fuck do I get ammo from?
‹ Previous123456718

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!