Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Nintendo's odd attempt to bridge the digital/retail sales divide

Interesting idea. Letting retailers buy download codes bulk then set their own price point. Article points out some of the ways it won't work but it's a pointer to the future I reckons.
  • Don't MS already do this with XBL titles? Via wee physical cards?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I read that as diceless to start with becuz um speshul. I was looking forward to an interesting analogy.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Yeah, but apparently all that is is the store buying a code direct from MS there and then and printing it out in store on a per purchase basis. Ninty are trying to introduce a wholesaler element.
  • Looks like a good idea to me, appeases all parties in regards to new sales.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    From my consumer perspective it looks quite handy. I can buy games like Animal Crossing - that you play for 15 minutes a day, and develop such an attachment to that you'd never want to resell it - and have them in a nice convenient downloadable format that doesn't involve lots of cart switching. And because retailers will also be selling codes, they won't necessarily be locked at the RRP. Plus they'll still be available to buy from the eShop after they go out of print (and that's if whatever code cards they give retailers ever go out of print).
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Need'nt even be cards really, a lottery ticket type machine that prints your code out would suffice.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message

Need'nt even be cards really, a lottery ticket type machine that prints your code out would suffice.

You mean a cash register? ;)
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    It would have to be on special paper like the lottery though, or I would feel ripped off. I'm not having my download code printed on ordinary receipt paper! Actually I think they should be printed out on cards, like some kind of business-card maker but with download codes. The cards would then be printed with pretty artwork from the game in question. Or something.
  • Or shaved into a cat which is then released, you have to catch the cat to play the game thus solving the link between obesity and video games.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message

It would have to be on special paper like the lottery though, or I would feel ripped off. I'm not having my download code printed on ordinary receipt paper! Actually I think they should be printed out on cards, like some kind of business-card maker but with download codes. The cards would then be printed with pretty artwork from the game in question. Or something.

I'm guessing this is probably the plan, to have some form of shelf displayable product with a code inside (or printed at the till and inserted).

• It seems to make some sense. There would still be pressure on retailers to reduce the price of old stock because they have money tied up in it. Second hand could be the sticking point, too much pressure to get rid of the code version before shops are flooded with second hand discs.

Someone with a better grasp of economics than me think it through please.
  • Paper and card can be easily lost or damaged.  The codes should be burned onto DVD, and the DVDs placed in protective plastic cases.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message

Or shaved into a cat which is then released, you have to catch the cat to play the game thus solving the link between obesity and video games.

I want each code to be encased into a beautiful hand-cut ice sculpture. Each time a code is purchased, a bell is rung, and the sculpture is reverently carried to a raised dais in the centre of the store. There it is shattered with the ceremonial hammer. There is a spatter of applause and then the recipient of the code plucks it from the remains, before returning to the till for their receipt and change.
  • Unlikely said:

Paper and card can be easily lost or damaged.  The codes should be burned onto DVD, and the DVDs placed in protective plastic cases.

Will there be glossy paper sleeves with art work to both promote and inform the name and manner of the game in question?

Or shaved into a cat which is then released, you have to catch the cat to play the game thus solving the link between obesity and video games.

I want each code to be encased into a beautiful hand-cut ice sculpture. Each time a code is purchased, a bell is rung, and the sculpture is reverently carried to a raised dais in the centre of the store. There it is shattered with the ceremonial hammer. There is a spatter of applause and then the recipient of the code plucks it from the remains, before returning to the till for their receipt and change.

Codes printed to indivudal sheets of loo roll, deluxe and collectors editions are doubl and triple ply.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I'm sure this was one of my favourite thread titles of yore. Oh yes.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Paper and card can be easily lost or damaged.  The codes should be burned onto DVD, and the DVDs placed in protective plastic cases.

Will there be glossy paper sleeves with art work to both promote and inform the name and manner of the game in question?
    Yes. And just to make sure, in case something goes wrong with the code, the actual game will also be on the disc. Limited edition versions (costing £10 extra) will also include a small booklet outlining the game's controls, introducing the characters and plot, and so on.

It's the future.
  • So I'm supposed to get into town, visit a shop, ask for a code, go home, enter the code on my console, and wait for the game to download?

Literally the worst of both worlds.

High street retailers of games, music and videos are doomed. But especially games, since there's no back catalogue anyone's interested in. I can see niche music retailers surviving based on good stock, and expert knowledge.

A CD I can play on the 15 or so compatible devices I own, a game works on one device only.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Tis a shame I can't really see people wanting to play older games to experience the history and development of the industry in the same way as film buffs would. Then again I suppose people saying "nah mate those graphics are shit" is the same as alot of punters going "but why would you want to watch a black and white film?"

Dunno why I made the game fan more common than the film fan.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I now have no problem with dl games. Discless is nowhere near gonna happen yet. I remember all those Sony press conferences after PS3 launch about the tail strategy for PS2, does the second world have enough web penetration to make discless actually worthwhile

There appears to be very little research into new disc formats, so how much does a BluRay drive cost nowadays? Not so much it makes China, Brazil, Russia and Africa markets not worth pursuing
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    So I'm supposed to get into town, visit a shop, ask for a code, go home, enter the code on my console, and wait for the game to download? Literally the worst of both worlds.

But you've got the internet at your house. You could get the game without traipsing into town or relying on Royal Fail.

Best of both worlds.
  • I'm very curious to how Sony and Microsoft deal with my current downloads from this generation when we move to the next gen of consoles. If I cant migrate all my downloaded games over to my Live/psn/sen account on the new machine it will certainly make me think twice about getting full price games via download.

I know certain games may have to be discontinued for license reasons (outrun 2 for example) but I fully hope that I'm not expected to but the same games over and over.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Mod74 wrote:
    WorKid wrote:
    So I'm supposed to get into town, visit a shop, ask for a code, go home, enter the code on my console, and wait for the game to download? Literally the worst of both worlds.
    But you've got the internet at your house. You could get the game without traipsing into town or relying on Royal Fail. Best of both worlds.

Exactly.
  • BAM!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I'm sure I recall either Sony or MS recently saying that they wouldn't be making the next gen machine BC, claims that it ate too much dev time. Which is quite the ballache
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    So I'm supposed to get into town, visit a shop, ask for a code, go home, enter the code on my console, and wait for the game to download?

You could probably enter the code in the shop and download it right there if you wanted. Doesn't the eShop support downloading through SpotPass in the background? You might even be able to frolic around town, picking up scraps of your game through various compatible wi-fi hotspots, until you reach home, your download ready and waiting for you.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    I'm sure I recall either Sony or MS recently saying that they wouldn't be making the next gen machine BC, claims that it ate too much dev time. Which is quite the ballache

I thought Microsoft made sure no-one made direct calls to the hardware to make BC easier to implement or something.
  • cockbeard wrote:

So this gen was in-part an exercise in lowering expectations? As long as there isn't another TV standard jump, I guess it doesn't matter as much as the last, just more shit under the TV.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    I thought Microsoft made sure no-one made direct calls to the hardware to make BC easier to implement or something.

They did/do. Apparently because of the ballache supporting original Xbox games caused them through non-standard/api function calls.

That's not to say the nextbox will 100% definitely support everything, but they laid the groundwork to try and ensure it could.

It's PS3 that looks the dodgiest. If the rumours are true and they move from a Cell to an x86 architecture that pretty much guarantees no BC whatsoever.
  • WorKid wrote:

You'd be surprised just how many Microsoft points and PSN vouchers Game sell. There is a definite market for it. Especially for kiddies.
‹ Previous12345

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!