theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    OK, so there's probably just enough of us with this to justify a thread.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/220200/

On sale this weekend only for £12.05. There's also a demo

Kerbal Space Program is a multi-genre game where players create their own space program.

In KSP, you must build space-worthy craft, capable of flying your crew out into space, without killing them. At your disposal is a collection of parts, which must be assembled to create a functional ship. Each part has its own function and will affect the way a ship flies (or doesn't). So strap yourself in, and get ready to try some Rocket Science!

The game is being built first as an open sandbox. There are no objectives yet. You're free to build anything you can think of, and fly it wherever you want, even into orbit and out to other planets and moons throughout the Kerbal Solar System.

IMPORTANT: This is an Early Access game. i.e. it's not finished. The devs are letting people in to give feedback (and get cash obv)

Trailer:

Official site:
    https://www.kerbalspaceprogram.com/

Spaceport (design/mod exchange):
    http://kerbalspaceport.com/
  • Idle Thumbs are maybe the best salesmen on the grid. Ammabouta purchase The Swapper, trufax.
  • I've got this.  It's a bit broken in some places, but the astonishing satisfaction of successfully putting something in orbit was incredible.
  • Had a go on the demo at lunch - did tutorial but still struggling a bit. How do I get those maneuvering jets to work in space - do I need to link them to the fuel tanks somehow?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    You have to turn RCS on, which IIRC is the R key.

You'll also probably have to turn the stability control off, which IIRC is T key

(btw, engaging stability control (assuming you add a stability module) on the launch pad with T makes it much easier to get into space)
  • Thanks Mod. Think I may have had both turned on (or not installed one of them come to think of it). 

I can get to space, but am yet to establish an orbit.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Achieving orbit means angling over during ascent.

It's a multistage process that needs fairly tight timing. This vid might help

You could skip to 15:00
  • Yay!

Got up, couple of orbits, then a successful splash down. 

So what else can you do in the full version then? Get to Mun I presume? Other planets? Space stations?

And do you get more choice of components?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I haven't played the demo so I'm not sure on components, but yeah, you can go to the Mun and all the other planets in the solar system (well, assuming you've got the time and will to sort the fuel needed to get there)

You can have space stations, lunar/mars rovers, satellites and space planes.
  • Ah-ha. There aren't any other planets in the demo or space planes. 

Thanks again for the help.
  • Enjoying the demo a lot, but think £18 for the full game is steep, especially as it's not finished yet. It's in the sales occasionally, right?
  • It is, I just got it for something like $15 after.. err, "acquiring" a copy beforehand.

It also runs like an absolute dog when you get to larger spacecraft which is a total pain and is stopping my munar missions.  Apparently it can only use one CPU core.
  • So this is just a little bit satisfying when you get a craft of your own construction orbiting the Mun. The view is not bad too. 

dm6454.png
  • What did you build?
  • Does my screenshot work by the way? 

It was just a relatively simple rocket. 

I should also add that this guy doesn't have enough fuel to either make it onto the Mun's surface or back home.

RIP brave spacekerbal
  • And even if I had enough fuel to get home I forgot to add a parachute
  • Aww :)  I've had about 6 heroic deaths trying to get to the Mun.  Your screenshot does work.  What type of engine and how much fuel did you drag along?  I keep hitting the diminishing returns of trying to get too much power or too much fuel, and not being able to establish in orbit in the first place.
  • Here she is, like I said, very simple. Know what you mean about the fuel weight / power trade off. 

2isfvwy.png
  • So that is:

4 solid fuel rockets
    then
    another 5 solid fuel
    then
    large liquid fuel
    and finally
    small liquid fuel
    plus maneuvering thrusters etc
  • Slightly modified version gets me into Mun orbit with a little bit of fuel. Gonna try landing next. 

2mnjckx.png
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Have you spotted the angle snap control in the build mode? Cycles through 2, 3, 4, 6 (and maybe 8 ) angles/units for adding bits. Makes it a lot easier to make more OCD satisfying rockets.
  • I've been using the symmetry tool, but not the other yet. Will give it a go. 

Attempted Mun landing went badly, ran out of fuel 1000 metres above the surface...
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I think symmetry and angle snap are the same thing. I'm going to have a crack at a Mun shot later.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    One thing I don't understand. Sometimes I make a capsule with rockets that can fire in space/no atmosphere, and sometimes they don't do anything.

I'm not sure if that's a bug or I'm using the wrong jet/fuel.
  • Do you mean the maneuvering jets? If so you need a different sort of fuel tank for those. I think, but am not sure, that if you attach the jets to the outside of traditional liquid fuel tanks, that might work too, but have not tried. I just use those little bulbous tanks.
  • J1m1
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Beelzespud
    Xbox
    Beelzespud
    Steam
    Beelzespud

Send message
    I seem to recall that the external thrusters don't have to be connected to the actual fuel source to work.  As long as the correct fuel source to in the stack somewhere, but be aware of decoupling a fuel source and leaving thrusters higher up in the chain.

Also, you guys should check out using an asparagus feed using fuel lines.  You get much more from your fuel tanks using that method.
    Live/Steam - Beelzespud
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Just got this and loving it.  Its so addictive. I have made it as far as the moon, but failed every attempted landing so far.

Just one more go.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I need to have another crack, see what they've been up to since last visit.
  • I've been meaning to upload screenshots of this on Steam for ages now but my main problem is i've got 1200+ of them so it'll take forever to sort through to find the really good ones. (I have a habit of clicking F12 every few minutes and the hdd space to not worry too much about it).

So far i've landed on the mun and the moon beyond that mimus, both have had landers followed by several rovers. I've also got a large station in orbit around Kerbin which has been built up in several stages.
‹ Previous123456

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!