Which ailments currently beplague you
  • It's been getting rig of the wax, which was plentiful! I think that there were 2 separate problems, as after using the drops I began to be able to pop my ears, which I couldn't do before, though it was still blocked further in. Bought some Sudafed Mucas Relief, and ear seems to have popped! Doesn't feel completely clear, but I'm no longer basically deaf.

I'm an ear popping expert thanks to flying.  99% of the time it's a block on the inner side of the ear drum, which is why the mucus relief sorted you.
  • Should I continue taking it Elm? I have full hearing now, but it was a problem in the mornings. I'm coming up to being able to take some more.
  • Is this a nasal spray?  If so, they can by physiologically addictive, so be careful.  You have your ear canal, then your ear drum, then your middle ear.  If you clamber up a mountain, air pressure decreases, so your ear drum bulges out.  To equalise the pressure, you have a bit called your eustachian tube that runs from the inside of your eardrum to the back of your throat, and you force the excess pressure down that.

If you're blocked up with mucus, your eustachian tube gets gummed up, and you can't bleed that pressure out.  The bowed eardrum isn't as responsive, so that's what affects your hearing.  

Symptomatically, it's alright to keep taking things like that, and if it's a phenylephrine-based decongestant then it's fine, gobble it down.  If it's a steroidal nasal spray, that works by constricting the blood vessels to force your eustachian tube open.  It's extremely effective, but your eustachian tube is opened to (say) 180% of normal size.  That means when the inflammation and mucus clear up, and it settles to 100%, it feels like it's a bit blocked.  

I ended up hoofing up nasal spray constantly after getting prescribed some when learning to fly, and didn't stop taking it because I craved the 180% eustachian tubes.  I ended up with massive spontaneous nosebleeds and stuff.
  • I had mucus congestion behind the ear drum when I was 14, was essentially partially deaf for about 6 weeks. Glue ear or something, it was called. Doctor explained that the congestion was causing my eardrum to be flattened and therefore hearing was impaired. People started to give up trying to talk to me at school when my standard reply became 'what?!'.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Hey Dante, try practising opening the ear throat tube. Pushing jaw forward, forcing a yawn and/or doing a joker impression. It's not something people do everyday, if you can get better at it you'll be more confident in clearing it without the spray
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • It's not a spray, just tablets with that thing you said in it. Decided against taking the tablets, and woke up with it blocked again, but not to the degree it's previously been. I think I'll continue taking the stated dose until tomorrow and see how I am then.

Will also try this Joker thing, as I'm currently alone in my room.
  • Like cock says, knowing how to open the eustachian tube's pretty useful.  Also, hold your nose shut and blow into it as hard as you can; the pressure'll force the tube open and can help to equalise things.

If it's just decongestant tablets, eat the shit out of them until you're better.  It's just the nasal sprays you should avoid overusing.  Also, fix what's making the mucus, do you have a cold?
  • Nope, no cold. Aside from the ear, I feel pretty good.

Been doing the nose thing.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    I've been referred to a skin guy for my black mole.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I have a skin problem but its a bit eeww so i won't post about it ok :)

Also, this isn't in reference to subba's post, which is good news, I think :)
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Subbax wrote:
    I've been referred to a black guy for my skin mole.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Subbax wrote:
    I've been referred to a mole guy for my black skin.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Cheers fellas, that made me chuckle.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Subbax wrote:
    I've been referred to a guy for my black moleskin.
    Probably too late.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Saw an orthopaedic surgeon about my shoulder today, who looked at my x-rays and said "man, you've had some WORK done there.  When was your *last* surgery?"  He sounded surprised I only had one :(

Back to the physio on Tuesday, hurrah.
  • Did long post about Eustachian Tube problems.  But then the browser crashed.  So quick version:

What Elm said - except he's got his steroids and his sympathomimetics muddled up.  The phenylephrine / ephedrine sprays are the ones that cause rebound congestion and should only be used for short bursts.  Steroid sprays on the other hand rarely work straight away, and usually need to be taken for a few weeks at least.  (And might give you a nose bleed whilst you wait.)

Ephedrine tablets are, according to some, of debatable benefit.  (It's a self limiting condition, so chances are you were going to get better anyway).

The "nose thing" is worth doing.

Here is the patient information leaflet we use at work.
  • Whoops; I remember the explanation about nasal sprays opening your tubes up to 140% and therefore 100% feeling congested was related to Otrivine, which isn't a steroid thing at all.  Sorry!  They gave me nosebleeds as well though, I think.

Right now, in fact, I'm getting loads of nosebleeds and feel almost permanently congested.  When I blow my nose I only get lots of little nasty brittle dry chunks out.  I think it's the dry air and the permanent air conditioning.

Anyone ever use a humidifier?
  • No, but I imagine it would be an ideal thing to get. I'm always getting nosebleeds if I'm in an air-conditioned environment for a long time.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    All this ear talk reminds me of when my lad had Glue Ear when he was younger, the amount of stuff coming out of his ear was unbelievable.

Back to me though, I have somehow managed to pull a muscle/s in my chest and it keeps catching me off guard. I'm not sure how I did it but it is either down to loading the banner rolls at work (they are fucking heavy, I'm sure much too heavy for HSE) or a good session on the punchbag, either way I'll be glad when it goes.
  • I have a throat infection, which kept me in bed all day yesterday and will do much the same today I think.
    Very painful to swallow, coughing up lumps of pus mixed with blood, glands in my neck are like golf-balls, all my joints are aching and I have a temperature that comes and goes and which knocks me out when it does.

Miserable.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    I am currently trying out this alcohol cure.

I've been plagued with a bad stomach for years, decades even.

The only thing that stops it is not drinking alcohol.

Drinking alcohol starts it again. It really is a simple on/off switch.
  • Perhaps you're just allergic to alcohol.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    That would be unfortunate.

I don't think I'm allergic. Small amounts occasionally is fine. Large one off or small sustained is what kicks me off.
  • Hayfever. It's intensely annoying. It's surprising how much mucus one nose can produce in such short periods of time! Oh will the itching, sneezing and noseblowing please stop!
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    I'll have to stop reading this thread while i'm eating.
  • It's the ailments thread! Illness ain't pretty and if you're suffering with me then I'm that bit more happier. Your good deed for the day is done.
  • My sinuses are still killing me, and to compound the misery I seem to have developed a bladder infection. Went to the doctor today and she's given me a week's course of antibiotics. 
    Asked me if I'd be able to provide her with a couple of urine samples while I was there for analysis. You know you're not well when a lady doctor asks you on the spot for some pee and your able to reply, "sure, how much would you like?"

not been a great year for health this

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • g.man drink loads of cranberry juice. It's cleared up a bladder infection both times I've had one within days. Why your sinuses blocked? Thai Green curry extra fucking hot. Failing that use those menthol crystals in hot water.

Oh and eat honey and garlic. It cures every common ailment. But then again I've not been ill for 2 years so I might just be lucky.
    The next generation doesn't start until MAG comes out. 

PSN: Naemuckle
    STEAM: Naemuckle
  • I feel like a bag of smashed crabs.

It's just the 6 beers and 3 measures of brandy that I felt the need to drink alone last night. Thank fuck the mrs is back today.
  • Coffee and asprin....
    The next generation doesn't start until MAG comes out. 

PSN: Naemuckle
    STEAM: Naemuckle

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!