A thread for the pets
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Brooks wrote:
    I don't think Brookscats hate me.
    Yeah but one day you'll trip and do your back in and be unable to move and be all like "cats, cats, call for help" and the cats WILL NOT CALL FOR HELP they will eat you from the feet up.

I lolled at this and now everyone is looking at me..
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    It might be because you have a dog's head.
    Brooks wrote:
    I'd quite like a boar. Big hairy ol' pig to go talk at on a balmy Sunday morn, the pair of us munching raw potatoes because he likes them and I'm lazy.
    He'll eat your face, guaranteed.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Strictly, one of my goons has to betray my ass and eject me from a wheelchair first. And that could happen.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I know I shouldn't have found this funny.

75b6700d-3816-409e-9f8b-0a282909f1d5.jpg
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Skerret wrote:
    It might be because you have a dog's head.

watch it hotpants boy..

My mum has 3 cats..

She is 2 cats away from being official doolally.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    This is the little fella that walked home with us the other night:

zwartekater.jpg

Haven't found the owner yet, didn't belong to the asylum where we met him.

Need to find out if he's chipped or not. In the mean time, he's taken over The Princess's throne, who is not happy at all with this current shift in territory. She's still making mad sounds at him when he tries to go somewhere, and Pixel, the pussy that he is, just follows her behavior. 

So we now have 3 cats in the house, with The Princess guarding our bed, Pixel is in the computer room, and the black one (which we've called Batman for now) in the living room.  He is actually really cute, every time you pick him up, he tries to embrace you. First time he did it I was afraid I'd get some claws in my neck, back the claws were all safely kept in the paw, where they belong of course.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    He looks exactly like my cat Miso, now departed.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    CAN I HAVE HIM
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Lol she said pussy
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    mIrOM.jpg
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    He loved it in that cupboard, right on the clothes.
  • Your pink pig pyjamas do look comfy.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    They were not mine.  They were comfy though.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Hmm, your Miso looks a bit larger than the one we found. And ours prefers dresses with ribbons, not very interested in pyjamas. So I don't know if that ruins the memory for you, but sure, come over and pick him up.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I'll be right over.  In about 5 years.

Miso was a big cat, yes.  Very muscular.  If he wanted down, you were never in a position to argue about it.
  • Nina wrote:
    This is the little fella that walked home with us the other night: zwartekater.jpg Haven't found the owner yet, didn't belong to the asylum where we met him. Need to find out if he's chipped or not. In the mean time, he's taken over The Princess's throne, who is not happy at all with this current shift in territory. She's still making mad sounds at him when he tries to go somewhere, and Pixel, the pussy that he is, just follows her behavior.  So we now have 3 cats in the house, with The Princess guarding our bed, Pixel is in the computer room, and the black one (which we've called Batman for now) in the living room.  He is actually really cute, every time you pick him up, he tries to embrace you. First time he did it I was afraid I'd get some claws in my neck, back the claws were all safely kept in the paw, where they belong of course.

Looks like my Shelby, but he is a bit bigger.
    I would put up a photo but every photo I take of her she cant be seen in, doesnt help that she only sleeps on the black chair or black stairs.
  • My cat loves me, she is actually a creep. A restraining order may be required soon.

Never seen anything like it.
  • Some of you may recall from the BluRum that I have a pet rat, Lacey (her sister Cagney having died on Boxing Day).

Lacey started developing a growth a couple of months ago.  It's quite common in rats (both she and Cagney had them last year, removed in an op) and usually doesn't bother them.  Lacey's was slightly larger than a plum stone, and basically sat under her right foreleg, or between her forelegs depending how she sat, exactly the same as before.

I went on holiday, leaving her with my folks, and returned to find that the growth had massively expanded.  It was still not causing her any pain, but it was large enough to be getting in her way when she was walking and climbing.  Thing is, at over two years, she's a bit old for operations to be a good idea.  I thought I'd best take her to the vet before too long and let them make the call.

Before that happened, I got up one morning to find an absolute bloodbath in her cage.  It was everywhere.  I got a real fright, and assumed I was looking for her body.  Instead, I found her happily bouncing about with a much reduced growth.  It turned out that the rapid expansion was a sack of blood forming around the growth.  God knows how she burst it, but as I ran to the vet with her, she looked at me like I was making a load of fuss over nothing.

The vet decided they had to operate.  She handled it well, and has a cracking scar given that they removed 35g of tissue from a 400g rat.  She recovered as quickly as you or I would from getting a tooth out, and is pretty apathetic about the dozen or so stitches holding her front together.

Just remember, folks, get pet insurance for your small animals too; I didn't, and Lacey has cost me about £300 in vets bills in her two years, Cagney another £200 or so.

Here she is enjoying some strawberry mousse, the only way I could get her to eat her anti-inflammatory liquid drops.  You can see the ends of a few of the stitches under her chin.

tl;dr: My pet rat, Lacey, had a growth.  She's had it removed, she's right as rain.
  • Are rats affectionate pets?
  • Not really affectionate, but they like receiving attention.  And they are smart enough to know one human from another, so Lacey is more relaxed and playful with me than anyone else.
  • I like rats but I'm kinda freaked out by their tails.
  • That's pretty common.  I remember I used to be freaked out by them, but now I'm used to them, I can't remember why.  I quite like stroking Lacey's tail, however non-plussed she is by it.
  • Not too keen on their feet either. I guess I just like the furry bits. Um...
  • Cool story. Lost several small rodents to tumours over the years. First time I've heard of one surviving.

regards

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Re: Pet Insurance. It's a wise investment in one sense, as you could be stung at any time with horrendous vet's bills but, as it happens, I've made a significant loss over the years, despite many costly visits to the vets.

I've been paying out c.£50/month (£600/year) for my two dogs for the past 3-4 years and have been subject to (non-routine) vets bills of around £1000 total in all of that time. Unfortunately, each claim is subject to an £80 excess and there are quite a few things (such as prescription dog food) which are not covered. So, I've successfully reclaimed less than £500 total.

Also, on vet's advice, I now have to permanently supplement one of my dog's diet with probiotic pellets, as he has stomach problems. Despite this being a medical condition, this is also not covered by insurance as it's considered 'food' and costs me an additional £15/month (even from cheaper internet supplier).

So I'm now considering cancelling pet insurance and instead paying the £50/month into savings as a contingency fund in case they get seriously ill. Risky perhaps, in the event of catastrophic or long-term illness, but even some people who've been insured against this have been badly stung. Watchdog reported recently on a number of cases of people who were receiving payments under a 'lifetime' cover plan for treatment for long-term pet illness (e.g. diabetes) and whose policies were terminated, as the insurance companies decided they could no longer provide such cover. They then found it impossible to find cover elsewhere as their pets have a pre-existing medical condition and were faced with meeting the horrendous costs of treatment themselves anyway.
  • We had two cats, both insured with Petplan.
    One had lots of visits to the vet and we definitely got more than our monies worth out of that policy, one 3 day vet stay cost over 2k, he later developed Diabetes and died. 
    The other is still going and hardly ever goes to the vet, so, some you win and some you lose.
    I would still get insurance just to cover those potential enormous vet bills that hit in one go though.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • A bit of light reading for Dora before bed.

june12008.jpg
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Our two lasses, Fluffy and Marshmallow.

photo%20%284%29.JPG
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    There's a touch of Thufir Hawat about Fluffy.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    My mam's just got the cutest little rabbit ever. Incredibly friendly, whereas the other has devil eyes and is a little cunt.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!