Creating a website
‹ Previous123456716
  • I've got an idea for a website which will work as a sideline hobby/business. Thing is i've no idea how to build a website. 

As far as I know there are lots of different ways to build a website? 

I want to add content my self but dont want my site to look shit. So should I employ someone to set it up and give me write access? Would any of you be interested? It would be a very basic site really at least to start with. How much would should I be looking to pay?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • It depends on the idea and the functionality you need man. I'm in that field so pm me and I'll give you a ballpark figure.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • 1&1, I have seen adverts for them. Not sure of the end quality though.
  • I believe this may be Mod's area of expertise as well, if you can get hold of Petey he'd be another source.
    Think we're not exactly short of web-heads.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • cheers, i thought that might be the case. Will also look into that griff. 

I'm wondering what info i'll need to update stuff as at the moment we use some weird shit on the mk sites, I dont understand what i'm doing, just know that if i follow xyz then it updates how i want it to.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Hello. Am web, too.

Since having a person dedicated to dealing with it is by far the best thing to do, I'd say go with Rev if he can do it and you're happy with the quote. If not, discussing what's needed in this thread would probably work best.

Or, if it's a site curating videos, give me a shout 'cause I'm totally in the middle of building a proper pro platform for that.
  • Looks quite simple.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • WordPress?

Good god, WordPress is in the Android dictionary.
  • I was looking to create a website too as a side hobby thing. Not looking to hire and pay anyone, want to do it myself. A friend of mine mentioned Django as a site creating tool/software or something. 

All I had asked, though, was whether to use PHP and MySQL etc. Briefly used that at uni over 10 years ago, don't remember much of it. PHP is good for server-side scripting, whilst JavaScript is for user/local, right?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Well, yes, but you're unlikely to be using them in conjunction.

Never used Django, but you won't go far wrong with Drupal.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    you won't go far wrong with Drupal.

Unless you want to make a forum.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Yeah, don't use it to make a forum.
  • Drupal's got a module for PHPBB (IIRC) integration. I told Edge as much.

It, however, is hellishly complicated if you've not done much before. What do you want to do, elf?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Acquia is an OK way to shortcut the worst of the Drupal set up.

http://www.acquia.com/

Go to Free

Or http://www.drupalgardens.com/ is more or less analogous to wordpress.com. But you probably don't need to pay someone to do what they do.
  • Still reckon we should try and create a website to tie to this forum.
    We could curate the world gaming news, amongst other things.
  • I wanna try and do a game review site for guys like us (see our just competed thread) where we can put up our own mini reviews of games we've completed. Games get added to database and score aggregated (fuck Metacritic). That's the most basic part. A user review site. I'll have to find a way to filter out teenage fanboys, and only allowing those of distinguished tatse.

The other part to it is to track games that reviewers have been playing and also prompting users to make recommendations when they review a game. Example, whilst reviewing Tomb Raider, you would recommend or say you also enjoyed Uncharted. So the page for a particular game can then say x percentage of reviewers also liked game such and such. Y'know, maybe to help gamers pick another game.

And / Or you keep an updated list of 'currently playing' or what games reviewers have played etc. The idea is to somehow find other games to play based on a game you have enjoyed. Or something. I may need to develop the idea more. 

This is where you guys tell me there is already an easy way to have all that in one place.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • While the basic reviews site sounds tough to pull off on a conceptual level (how do you determine if someone is of "distinguished taste", for instance) the games played/playing idea sounds a lot like something I've been thinking about (only I don't see why it should be limited to games). I'll happily work on it with you when I've got more time (fuck knows when that'll be at the moment, though).

Sasukekun wrote:
    Still reckon we should try and create a website to tie to this forum. We could curate the world gaming news, amongst other things.

I've been thinking about asking if people would be interested in having a B&B video site, when my platform's ready for multiple users. Essentially, it'd be the YouTube thread, maybe with some other stuff thrown in for good measure.

I (along with a couple of other guys) am going to be running a business related to video curation so, if the site's popular, it could even generate some income for contributors/ the community (perhaps for the 'stocks).
  • Sound like a plan that does. If you have a currently playing bit though, do you need a 'never finished' too?
  • AJ_ wrote:
    While the basic reviews site sounds tough to pull off on a conceptual level (how do you determine if someone is of "distinguished taste", for instance) the games played/playing idea sounds a lot like something I've been thinking about (only I don't see why it should be limited to games). I'll happily work on it with you when I've got more time (fuck knows when that'll be at the moment, though).
    Sasukekun wrote:
    Still reckon we should try and create a website to tie to this forum. We could curate the world gaming news, amongst other things.
    I've been thinking about asking if people would be interested in having a B&B video site, when my platform's ready for multiple users. Essentially, it'd be the YouTube thread, maybe with some other stuff thrown in for good measure. I (along with a couple of other guys) am going to be running a business related to video curation so, if the site's popular, it could even generate some income for contributors/ the community (perhaps for the 'stocks). Also, for dev people: Symfony FTW.

I'm not the most photogenic, plus my voice is a bit Whiney, also, I'm definitely not the most intelligent person here, so, my input to a BnB video site would be nil.
    Sadly.
  • I'm not suggesting videos we've made. We post videos we like from YouTube (and other video sites, eventually) and write a little bit about them (even a line is okay). Like I said: basically the YouTube thread.
  • I think in a one liner sense I have moderate success.
  • Sasukekun wrote:
    Sound like a plan that does. If you have a currently playing bit though, do you need a 'never finished' too?

I'm thinking you log when you start them, so it'll show all the games never finished. Might be an idea to have a way of saying you've given up on something, though.

If anyone's curious, this is running off the alpha version of my thing: http://60smusic.tv
  • I'd forgotten about this thread. I have a mate helping me with a site, he does cool stuff, but since he's pro bono for me, wordpress it is. Still, I think I'll be able to mangle it into something.

@AJ_ I am so going to hit you up once i get to the point of video.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I wanted to host my blog somewhere where I could customise anything and everything, the HTML, CSS, jQuery scripts, etc, but I couldn't wrap my head around what I'd need to do that and a content management I'd also need to plug into that.

So I made a tumblr...
  • I've seen 2 websites over the last few days being 'shared' on FB. Friends of friends. One photography and one for cakes and both sites are fucking awful. Looks like HTML by a 5 year old. I don't understand why anyone these days have a site that looks worse than the default WP template.

Even if you are completely inept one of your mates or a bloody google search will quickly point you to Wordpress or a template site.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • So i've not made any progress on the site. Does anyone want to help me do it?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    What do you want it to do?
  • Wow. Even with wordpress, which I assume is an easy version, this is gonna be a steep learning curve for me!!!
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Good thing your mate didn't use Drupal, then. I'm still not entirely sure how that works and I've written CMS' from scratch.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Conversely I find Wordpress horrible and Drupal quite lovely.

If your mate had have used Drupal he could have simplified the majority of your day to day tasks. That's what I do for customers so they see an admin screen that lets them do what they want then get out without seeing the icky stuff.
  • Aye, but that would take longer to sort out and out-of-the-box Drupal is way complicated for a beginner.

If I had to pick a CMS for a project, I'd use Drupal over WordPress, myself, but then there's a fair chance I'd go for Symfony's CMF, instead.
‹ Previous123456716

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!