PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    ...has anybody else heard of this?

I was told about it this weekend and by all accounts the person using it said it was absolutely hassle free and there was no danger at all in using it to play online games. It enables you to emulate the DVD drive and as such all the current anti-piracy measures are completely ineffective against it, you can play online campaigns and you can play online MP, in fact the person that told me about it was playing MW3 from his HDD with no physical copy of the game anywhere to be seen.

Whereas I am adverse to piracy this device would fill a big criteria of mine, it would allow me to back-up my games to a HDD and actually play them from it, the other thing is that I currently have in my posession a) a spare Gold account, b) a 360 with a dicky DVD drive thrown under the bed and c) a 160gb external HDD. This means that I have everything I need to enable me to set this up in my bedroom and actually play my games collection without carting discs to and fro from room to room.

The only problem I foresee is that I have been down this road before, back in the days of the original PlayStation I chipped mine and then took full advantage of helping myself to nearly every game that saw a release. It wasn't long before I stopped playing games through to completion, merely playing the first 15 mins of them unless they were one of the AAA titles of the day and even then they didn't get that much play. Then with every game freely available to me I simply lost interest and stopped gaming.

I think that in my current frame of mind with gaming this could quite easily happen again, with all the will in the world if I set this up on my spare 360 the temptation to just get a game that I'm only slightly interested in would be too great, I know that if I had it now I would grab a copy of Ghost Recon and so the slippery slope would commence.

Why oh why can't Microsoft come up with a system where we can actually install the game to our HDD or better still price the download stuff more realistically, there's a good chance that without any of this happening I may be lost to gaming before the next gen sees the light of day.
  • Interesting stuff this and quite worth of discussion, but could I please ask you all that in the course of discussing this and anything else to do with piracy, that people show a bit of discretion about the content of their posts. Peter generously hosts this forum for us and I don't think anyone would like to see the place shut down and the men in the black helicopters gunning for him.

safety first chaps. carry on

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Personally Perm, I've never heard of this thing, but if I ever gets me internet fixed I'd be lying if I said I wasn't intrigued by the prospect of such a device.

regards

g.man
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    Personally Perm, I've never heard of this thing, but if I ever gets me internet fixed I'd be lying if I said I wasn't intrigued by the prospect of such a device. regards g.man
    x360key consists of 2 parts, a motherboard and a remote.

The motherboard connects to the SATA bus inside the Xbox 360, and sits between the drive and the Xbox 360 motherboard. x360key is a full-fledged computer system running embedded Linux. It is capable of many things such as
    - Emulating the Xbox 360 DVD drive
    - Reading USB hard drives and other USB media with various file systems
    - Updating itself and other hardware from USB media
    - Communicating with the remote and other external USB devices
    - And a lot more! (embedded Web server and Wifi connectivity for example)

The remote is a simple yet stylish piece of hardware that features an OLED display and 3 buttons. It connects to the x360key motherboard via a high speed USB2 connection. It also has USB for connecting USB hard drives and other devices. The OLED and buttons are used to control various aspects of x360key. It is also used for browsing attached USB media devices and launching games.

The main benefit (well for me anyway) is it does actually allow a proper install/back-up of your game collection.

As I said I am against piracy but I am sorely tempted as a way of bringing a somewhat defunct 360 back to life.
  • Sounds a bit over my head from a tech point of view. 

complicated

g.man
  • g.man wrote:
    Interesting stuff this and quite worth of discussion, but could I please ask you all that in the course of discussing this and anything else to do with piracy, that people show a bit of discretion about the content of their posts. Peter generously hosts this forum for us and I don't think anyone would like to see the place shut down and the men in the black helicopters gunning for him. safety first chaps. carry on g.man

What are you babbling about?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Pete might get in trouble if we mention piracy. Oh wait, we won't.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    That's what I meant. And mind your language, there are kids around.
  • I was agreeing with you, poohead.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    How dare you.
  • Have only just realised Moto70 is Perm. Hello Perm.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Hello handsome...
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Buy Trials you mook.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Me?

I've got it, I'm just not very good at it!
  • Moto70 wrote:
    back in the days of the original PlayStation I chipped mine and then took full advantage of helping myself to nearly every game that saw a release. It wasn't long before I stopped playing games through to completion, merely playing the first 15 mins of them unless they were one of the AAA titles of the day and even then they didn't get that much play.

This does happen to me with albums. But games are different. I haven't pirated a game in years, but I had something like 150 odd SNES games on floppy disk and got a good line on 12-in-1s and 32-in-1 gameboy cartridges from Japan. I played them to death. There were great games there that I'd never have shelled out full price for if they'd have been on the shelf in a shop.
  • Make me a new animated avatar you mook.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Do they work in this shit forum?
  • Whatever it does its not £70 worth for me.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    7163255131_913d225456_o.gif
  • Moto70 wrote:
    Do they work in this shit forum?

That's Perm's problem.
  • HELP, PERM, HELP.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    haha!

Quick, let's tickle his balls while he's asleep!

EDIT: It looks like this forum doesn't support animated GIF's for thumbnails...
  • My awake avatar is at home this is not good.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    My awake avatar is at home this is not good.
    Here's a copy of your original, same image just a different location, to get you by until you get home...

7163291427_b74cfa96c0_o.jpg
    http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7231/7163291427_b74cfa96c0_o.jpg

• Cool.

nicked it, did the change the avatar thing,
    changed it back after insulting maria.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • I might just stay asleep for a bit.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!