Pro Wrestling
  • Mick Foley is as good as the mentals who'd get into a cage match with him (undertaker and Shawn Michaels spring to mind). I suspect there are less of that sort now.
  • Foley didn't need cage matches. Promo skills second to none, master of psychology and hugely under rated wrestling skills.

He did the hardcore stuff because of his physique, and needing to do something different to get noticed as a result.
  • Foley didn't need cage matches. Promo skills second to none, master of psychology and hugely under rated wrestling skills. He did the hardcore stuff because of his physique, and needing to do something different to get noticed as a result.

I've never been the biggest wrestling fan, but I found his autobiography fascinating
  • Oh yes, he's also a New York Times Best selling author.

Actually, now I think about it the Michaels match was just a standard match. There is nothing in it you wouldn't see in WWE today. Except maybe no one does the caught in the ropes thing anymore. There should be more of that.
  • The is a little stock in Cena breaking the streak, imagine at the 20 minute mark after a fantastic back and forth match up he low blows taker and AA's him for the win. Biggest heel turn ever perhaps?

Also, with Bryan as the most over guy, some crowds, particularly on the east coast love him. When it goes to more casual markets though, Punk and Cena are miles more over. Look at the crowd on last weeks RAW, weren't popping much for Bryan at all.

In regard to Ziggler, he either needs scripting or not scripting, depending on who's in control of his verbal material right now, because he is on a slippery slope down that Miz route of being obnoxious.
  • Us lot  for WM last April:

524466_10152749733025054_1528362838_n.jpg
  • I do think they need Foley back in the GM/Commissioner role, He only had the role for 6 months before and they were entertaining as hell. He is that good on promo he could make heels and faces out of almost anyone they choose to share a promo with him and its about time they had a genuine face in charge as the heel GM schtick has really run its course.
  • No GM at all would be the most refreshing, the role is played out.
  • The current incarnation is, yes. Commissioner Foley would be a huge departure though.

Out of interest, what the fuck is Vickie supposed to be? Damned if I can work it out.
  • Me and my house mate were chating earlier about WWE.
    Result...
    1. There are no good, themed tags.
    Tags are vital they create superstars and stables.

2.Where is Rey Mistertio?
    Sic
    I guess injured but a group of Mexican wrestlers could really liven up wwe and create a great rival for the shield.

3. Make Ryback heel to Cena.
    Cena is half heel half baby face, I think a big part of his problem is he has no rival. No reason to love or hate him. Ryback is a superb wrestler with a great voice and an expressive face. Back when Stone Cold/Rock/Triple H were stars Ryback wouldn't have got a look in, now they need someone.
  • They don't give a shit about the tag division. Please explain themed tags though.

Rey is finished. His knees are shot, now held together with spit and hope. Or a knee brace that injures everyone he touches.

They did make Ryback heel to Cena. The result was a series of matches that were better than they had any right to be. Now Ryback is doing nothing.
  • Themed tags you've got the Wyatts, the Shield, the Uzo's and at a stretch the Real American's.

Tag division isn't awful as it used to be, at least it exists now and you get some decent matches out of the latter 3 teams mentioned above
  • Im currently watching Impact and it's very dull, it's real shame because I like loads of the characters. The interviews come across a lot more natural than WWE and I like some of the reality themed production values. I also find a lot of their roster more naturally humorous than the WWE lot. Kaz, Daniels, ODB, Robbie E and Eric Young, notably.

I wish they'd just give me a reason to give a fuck.
  • Themed tags is what dog said really. Maybe better themes would be more suitable. To be really simple, Dudleys, Hardeys, Brothers of dustruction had themes. Kane and Bryan, no theme. (Although done with now).

To be fair I am a bit behind but would like to know why Ryback and Cena didnt work.

Honestly feel Ryback is being held back a lot.
  • It did work. Or at least I thought it did. But like almost anyone who feuds with Cena, it seems to have done nothing for his career.
  • The thing I found weird with Ryback and as mentioned before.
    They changed "feed me more " to "ryback rules". I dont know why but his initial catch phrase worked so well. The crowd would chant it while he pumped his fist, it was immense. "Ryback rules"? That is shit!
  • Yeah. I never got the Feed Me More thing either. Loved the Goldberg chants though.
  • Sorry I meant I loved the "feed me more" thing.
    It was a challenge to the entire roster. He was saying "I will beat you all", it was one of the best phrases in recent years.

A challenge to all and all at once, it was pure aggression, perfect heel material. "...Rules" is amateur at best.
    Ryback is the only potential superstar right now and they are ruining him, everyone else is shit.
  • I dont know why but his initial catch phrase worked so well
    Was meaning I don't know why it worked either.

Problem was they threw nobodies at him for way too long. He should have been working his way through the roster before gradually ending up with Cena.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I am Pageturn!
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Damn.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • beano wrote:
    I am Pageturn!

I am now reminded of this:

tumblr_ml018iQRiN1s3fqj7o1_500.gif

He's very funny at times.
  • Ryback was also exposed when he had to work more than a five minute match.
  • Dogfingers wrote:
    Im currently watching Impact and it's very dull, it's real shame because I like loads of the characters. The interviews come across a lot more natural than WWE and I like some of the reality themed production values. I also find a lot of their roster more naturally humorous than the WWE lot. Kaz, Daniels, ODB, Robbie E and Eric Young, notably. I wish they'd just give me a reason to give a fuck.

Its unlikely you'll ever get that now you have Eric Bischoff in charge of creative, it is a shame because on paper its not that difficult to put on an alternative product to WWE but for some reason  TNA always seems to make the wrong decisions. I'm still not sure they can even undo the damage left from years of Russo's shitty booking.
  • Tag teams used to be great. Legion of doom, nasty boys, bushwhackers etc. proper characters.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Tag teams done correctly can be awesome, Historically teams like The Midnight Express, The Fabulous Freebirds, Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard, The Rockers, The Bulldogs, The Hart Foundation, etc could all draw better than most singles competitors.
  • Tag team matches are shit, in the same way triple threat matches are shit. The illusion of a battle becomes eroded the more people that are involved.
  • That's because years of bad booking have made it that way, the psychology of a tag match is completely different to a singles, three way dance or fatal four way, but with the exception of NJPW nobody knows how to utilise them properly at the moment.

Check out Mitsuhara Misawa & Jun Akiyama vs. Steve Williams & Johnny Ace from 07/06/1996 for what was probably the last truly outstanding straight tag match (although Angle & Benoit vs. Edge & Rey Mysterio from No Mercy 2002 was pretty decent as well).
  • Tag team matches are shit, in the same way triple threat matches are shit. The illusion of a battle becomes eroded the more people that are involved.
    Both of those are only shit when done wrong.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!