Objets d'art que vous avez vu.
‹ Previous123456789
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Esspecially buildings I guess I am getting at, there's these few buildings I love where I live more than the cathedrals the first I guess is the White Star Line builing, otherwise known as Albion House (Yes it is.) IIRC.

The three directors each day would stand at the first floor windows and read out the names of the dead during the wars, the last to surrender had approach this place with a white cloth on a stick.

Wotevs I like it's stripes and I think it's empty

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albion_House,_Liverpool

ETB7kzT.jpg

jIUdsih.jpg

Moar.

Think of this as a "You'll miss this in all likelihood before you go home fred and I'd wish we'd past there too; make your own fun fred".

Show us the good shit, it could be a scene. It doesn't matter it could be a two foot sculpture.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    beano wrote:
    Show us the good shit, it could be a scene. It doesn't matter it could be a two foot sculpture.

You want me to post a picture of my cock?
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Yeah right. Your nob is at most 16 inches.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Well mine is fucking ugly, so I doubt from my perspective I'll agree but we're all entitled to our own opinions.

Do you have a picture of it from the 30s including one from the present? Maybe we can see the browning of the shaft over time?
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My home town favourites...

The Lanyon Building, Queens University..

BelfastQueensCollege.jpg

City Hall
    belfast_city_hall_night.jpg

Crown Bar (interior)
    prd_4321537__crown_bar_for_web.JPG
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Speaking of ornate pubs, this place I once had a hand in had the most ornate toilet ever. Marble urials, the womens weren't very good.

J7NoF4X.jpg

There's a safe that's six foot tall and has 10 foot of track and a cart that rolls into it.

It's called the philharmonic dining rooms and it belonged to friends for at least 17 years hence I was there only through the medium of nepotism.

A002-00617_Philharmonic_bar_Liverpool_Merseyside_UK.jpg
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I do very much like Queens Uni.
  • I've spent time in both of those pubs in recent years.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Ah no doubt, have you played in the LPO or at the Hall igor? 

I went in the crown mid walk of shame one sunday. How'd you find your way there, theater again?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    This is my favourite building in Newcastle

wlPuArA.jpg

An art deco tour de force that is currently in a very sorry state. For shame.

These streamlined flats are a close second

rqxeHOx.jpg
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    That place reminds me of what was known as the Bullring here.

6949051187_e33c6c6231_z.jpg

From above.

CWy3SHY.jpg

From inside.

0HgYlcS.jpg

Which reminds me of my favourite flats in the whole world, which has a sugarcubes guy in it.

3tqDxjU.jpg

v7LNNQh.jpg

The barbican, I can at least claim credit for the last photo tho it should probably 180'.
  • beano wrote:
    Ah no doubt, have you played in the LPO or at the Hall igor?  I went in the crown mid walk of shame one sunday. How'd you find your way there, theater again?
    I play with the RLPO now and then and ended up in the Belfast pub because I was on trial at Ulster Orchestra back in 2010, which happily coincided with the 2-year long (lol) celebrations of Guinness' 250th anniversary.

Anyhow, how did a thread about 'objets d'art' end up being about something completely different? Unless you count a building as being a particularly large 'objet'?
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    You answered it iggy. (o:
  • I am a fan of the brutalist style, popular in the 50s-70s until it became associated with a bleak dystopian future and everyone started hating it. 

Some fine examples:

The Roberts Library at the University of Toronto
    800px-Robarts_Library.JPG

The Roger Stevens Building at Leeds Uni:

800px-University_of_Leeds_(4th_May_2010)_035_Brighter.jpg

The Western City Gate in Belgrade:

476px-Jugotours_Beograd_Dec_2003.jpg

Most of the time it was used for buildings of authority, since it has a really fortress like vibe going on. But weirdly it got used in other places, like tower blocks and car parks.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Really quite like that style, more of that please.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Evoluon in Eindhoven. It used to be a science expo type thing built by Philips which I never got to see but knew about because it was the subject of a short film that was used as a colour test transmission for BBC2 that was shown quite often back in the day.

I visited Eindhoven last year with work and got to see inside it as it is a conference venue now (sadly imo).

b.1015_evoluon.jpg

the original film is on youtube now - god bless it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Transport & General Workers Union HQ in Belfast - I love the mosaic - hope it doesn't get bulldozed..

Transport_House,_Belfast_(1)_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1520231.jpg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Grand Opera House Belfast

The_Grand_Opera_House,_Belfast_(1)_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1480008.jpg

interior
    grand-opera-house-interior.jpg
  • Really quite like that style, more of that please.

Your wish is my command!

Let's start off with a couple of the more aesthetically pleasing examples.

This is a massive picture of Habitat '67 in Montreal:
    montreal-world-expo1.jpg

This is the Geisel Library at the University of California in San Diego:
    Picture+4.png

Alright, enough of the 'easy' stuff, lets try something a bit more 'challenging'. I give you Trelick Tower in London, believe it or not this is actually Grade II listed, in your face anyone who thinks it's an ugly turd of a building that should be demolished asap!
    original.jpg

This is the Buffalo City Court Building, New York, which really takes the aesthetic to the extreme. Masses of exposed pre-cast concrete, very few windows, all of which are tall and thin. I don't think they could have got this building to scream 'seat of authority' any harder if they tried. 
    Buffalo_City_Court_Building.JPG

EDIT: Sorry I appear to have totally borked the formatting on the page now. My bad!
    spaceout.gif
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • :D

Habitat '67 looks like a parkour paradise! If it was a game location it would do my head in, I'd be scouring all the surfaces for items, it would take ages!

Habitat-67-Back-web.jpg

That Trelick Tower is amazing! I can't stop looking at it. And the Buffalo City Court Building looks a little like a possible future iteration of a Playstation. :P
  • Jeez, some if those are so damn ugly! That Trelick Tower needs to go.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Buffalo City Court building is my spirit animal
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Buffalo city court building is fantastic. It looks like something from syndicate wars.
  • Horrible building that everyone inexplicibly wants to save: Preston Bus Station

Preston_Bus_Station_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1182121.jpg

Somehow it looks less awful in this picture. A trick of the angle perhaps. Christ alive though it needs to be bulldozed.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Looks gipping to me.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Presumably it's in the centre of town and if it's bulldozed the bus stops will be moved to somewhere less convenient and a nice shopping mall will go in its place because we need more of those.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    If it was in London it'd be replaced with another block of flats that looks like it was primarily constructed from Lego.
  • Preston Bus Station wants to be saved because it too is a fine example of brutalist architecture. 

A lot of people don't like the style because it ended up becoming associated with social decline and some kind of dystopia. But it was exactly the opposite. After the second world war, once the economy had recovered to the point where we could turn to thinking about building for the future, this style reflected the most cutting edge construction methods available and was a huge departure from what had come before, it really was taking no cues from the past and reflected a modern, forward thinking attitude to the future. 

Some people, like cunting Prince Charles, would prefer if everything looked like a model village, or something 'contemporary' and inoffensive. But to tear these buildings down because they don't fit in with the current eye for design is just a waste, especially as so many of them have almost become landmarks. Many (of the surviving buildings) were designed by the top architectural practices of their time.

If they tore down Preston Bus Station tomorrow and rebuilt it (well they are tearing it down, although the date is still up in the air) this is what you would get, you would get a steel frame shed with a lot of glass panelling. You may think steel frame sheds with lots of glass panelling look nice, but they're ten a penny these days. Today's easthetic is to make every public space look like an airport terminal. But because it will cost more to undo all the fucking about that's been done to the building and restore it to something less shitty looking inside and out, we'll tear it down and no one will ever get to see those one-off concrete balconies, they can look at another glass box instead.
  • I like weird buildings, and would hate the Prince Charles model building approach, but fuck me Preston Bus Station is a horrible, horrible building. And as bad as it is from the outside, it's even worse inside.

A quick look on the save the bus station facebook page reveals a way of making it look slightly less hideous:

923551_149292515243863_2095784929_n.jpg
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Still doesn't mean it looks nice.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    They're going to hang a giant Dark Side of the Moon album cover above it?
‹ Previous123456789

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!