Classical Music
‹ Previous123456713
  • Proms 2012 is just around the corner and promises to be a particularly lively season.

A few of my personal picks:

Prom 18 - The culmination of a complete Beethoven Symphony cycle at this year's proms given by the West-Eastern Divan Orchestra and Daniel Barenboim, Beethoven's 9th is a joyous expression of the unifying power of music.

Prom 29 - The National Youth Orchestra of Great Britain are joined by the ferociously talented young Russian conductor Vasily Petrenko to present an electrifying programme of new works, alongside Messiaen's ecstatic Turangalîla Symphony.

Proms Chamber Music 4 – Former Young Musician winner, violinist Jennifer Pike, is joined by rising stars Igor Levit (piano) and Nicholas Alstaedt (cello) to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the birth of Debussy.

Prom 35 – The BBC Philharmonic’s new principal guest conductor John Storgårds makes his Proms debut with an epic programme of Scandinavian music, including the evergreen Grieg Piano Concerto.

Prom 52 – The London Symphony Orchestra with their brilliant and enigmatic principal conductor, Valery Gergiev, perform Prokofiev’s Cinderella.

Prom 63 – A dazzling kaleidoscope of music from one of the world’s greatest orchestras, the Berlin Philharmonic, and their principal conductor, Sir Simon Rattle.

EDIT:  Here's my ongoing Spotify project to create a chronological history of classical music - Classical Music Timeline
  • Yeah you deserved that.
  • barren_sky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Tele Viper
    PSN
    barren_sky
    Steam
    Tele_Viper

Send message
    I must admit that I have several 'Best of' classical music discs ripped onto my Xbox hard drive specifically to be used as custom playlists while playing online shooters. Nothing puts me in the zone like 10 people vigorously playing violins at the same time.
    British Columbia, Canada
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Find Bach usually pleasing to the ear.....something about the structure of his work - not really a music head so can't technically describe why - probably something mathematical about it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I like something in between Mozart and Bach - Mach.
  • davyK wrote:
    Find Bach usually pleasing to the ear.....something about the structure of his work - not really a music head so can't technically describe why - probably something mathematical about it.
    In a mathematical sense, his music is as perfectly beautiful as anything I've ever heard.  In a musical sense it's simply peerless.

If you don't know the Goldberg Variations already, check out Glenn Gould's recordings - it's something really special.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Yeah you deserved that.

Yeah, fuck you Igor.

How dare you fill our heads with your crazy "culture" and stuff. 

I'm off to burn some Books/Jews/Paintings/Science.
  • I oft listen to Chopin, Bach, Elgar, Arvo Part, Schubert's operatic pieces (pretty much the only opera I can listen to, other than Handel's), Górecki, Tchaikovsky, Debussy. There's a lot of classical music I just find annoying, it has no direction, or rather it probably does but I like the simpler, more powerful pieces.
  • canon in d is my favourite song/piece of all time. Had it played at my wedding. Weirdly enough I ripped my entire cd collection recently and one of the cd's was I'll C U (when you get there) by Coolio... ahem.. anyway, i always wondered why i liked it and then realised he'd sampled canon in d in the background.

Tis all good.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I found your wedding video mk.

• Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    We all have to start somewhere.  I started here...

Get schwifty.
  • Pure class. Shame kids today don't grow up with this stuff.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Yeah you deserved that.
    Yeah, fuck you Igor. How dare you fill our heads with your crazy "culture" and stuff.  I'm off to burn some Books/Jews/Paintings/Science.

You don't have the full story, Weegie.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I'm an outright pleb when it comes to classical. Most of my experience with the stuff comes from Classic FM radio listening when i'm driving around on my own.

I do own The Planets and a best of Chopin album though. Love those two. It is something i'd like to become more knowledgeable on.
  • Spotify has tons of great stuff. I created a Classical Music Timeline playlist a couple of years ago - I'll post a link later if I remember.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings is still my favourite piece, and I'm pleased I discovered and fell in love with it before I saw the likes of Platoon and The Elephant Man.
    Get schwifty.
  • Spotify has tons of great stuff. I created a Classical Music Timeline playlist a couple of years ago - I'll post a link later if I remember.

Please do

• Classical Music Timeline

This is an attempt to present (in chronological order by birth date of composer) a brief history of western classical music, covering most of the major composers and most notable or representative works. It is a work in progress - I started in the middle and am working outwards so there is much yet to cover at either end, not to mention the middle itself. It also needs much refinement obviously, but I hope that there's something in there to pique your interest.
    Please feel free to point out any notable omissions or chronological errors.
  • Ah, you're a beaut! That's brilliant igor, thank you very much. I've subscribed and will probably tackle it over the course of a few weeks. Spotify is great for this kind of stuff.
  • No worries.  It's a long way off finished and I may yet decide to split it into different periods to make it less unwieldy but there's a lot of great music on there.  Some tracks are snippets of larger works (e.g. a movement from a symphony) but I've included a handful of complete works that are generally considered particularly important (such as the Rite of Spring).
  • I'm listening to it now and it is brilliant. I have literally no idea about Classical Music, so I'm quite interested to see how early on Bach came about, in terms of the classical periods (that is how little I know). Brilliantly this ties in with the fact that in my Piano learnings I have been given my first piece from a 'big' composer and it is Minuet in G by Bach and it is wrecking my brain.

Am I ok to share this playlist with friends?
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Dude, you should share this with anyone that'll listen.  That's exactly what igor wants!
    Get schwifty.
  • I like to get permission!
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    The composers are dead, but that's cool.
    Get schwifty.
  • That minuet's a great little piece that's often set for Associated Board exams and the like.  Sorry for sounding anoraky but it's not actually by Bach.  Until recently it was believed to be so because it was in his wife's notebooks but it's now been attributed to some other guy whose name I can't remember (not a particularly well-known composer).

Feel free to share the playlist with anyone you like.  It's hardly authoritative or unbiased anyhow and I'll be sharing it with my colleagues who'll no doubt chip-in suggestions for improvements.
‹ Previous123456713

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!