The Racing Thread of Burnin' Rubber and Being Awesome!
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I really liked the handling. Gonna revisit tonight I think.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Just had a quick last before bed. Its as fun as I remember. No frills thrills. The city is brilliantly realised. 

I did make the mistake of taking my Gallardo out first though, which resulted in my eyeballs bleeding. The game is so fast, there's a reason it slowly builds you up to the fastest cars. 

Well up for some online fun sometime.
  • Mine never arrived today, which is odd for ShopTo, hopeful for tomorrow. Despite me requesting a cancellation from Zavvi for the other copy at 9pm last night, they emailed me this morning claiming it was too late as it was ready for dispatch, before waiting another seven hours to dispatch it. Useless.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I checked out the custom tracks I'd made, there's a few good ones there. 

I forgot about the lobby, it's pretty neat. Like GTA and paradise, you all drive round freely until an event starts. You can offer up custom tracks etc like in Unbounded.
  • Webbins wrote:
    Mine never arrived today, which is odd for ShopTo, hopeful for tomorrow. Despite me requesting a cancellation from Zavvi for the other copy at 9pm last night, they emailed me this morning claiming it was too late as it was ready for dispatch, before waiting another seven hours to dispatch it. Useless.

Just return it.

Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • DiRT: Showdown - ***

The more you play the more you get the feeling it's been a little bit rushed (No surprise given that it follows almost a year after DiRT 3). There's some areas and tracks that are reused from the DiRT trilogy (The Baja track is lifted almost exactly from the first game) and yet given that the games a bit tight on locations and tracks.. Surely they could of put together a greatest hits package of stuff from the three previous games. Snow and weather are really underused.. there's one snow track lifted from DiRT 3 and that's it..

It starts off well with a nice mix of events but then they don't get developed and either repeat exactly the same or just peter out. By the last tier of events it's pretty much a mix of races and 8-ball (racing with cross overs).. and to pad it out you have to start doing 8 lap events.. bizarrely there's no option to rewind on the races either.. so if you get barged off or retired near the end.. you have to start again.

The balancing could've done with more polish and there's a couple of things you'd of thought more play testing might have noticed.. often on the last event the announcer will shout "last lap " at teh start of the race when he obviously means last race. Also the AI often struggle with the cross over races.. knock them into the wrong lane (Which happens all the time) and they don't know how to get back for a while.

It's also got a very short single player campaign.. I saw the credits roll last night after 3 or 4 hours and polished off the last couple of medals about half an hour later.. I need to get all golds .. but that's probably another hour at best.

It also does a very annoying sign into Codemaster racenet which can take ages.. If you're not on line you have to click a button to try and sign in. There's no "I'm offline" option. Get the 360 error message, go back to the game again, click the button again to proceed and then start the game. Then when you start to play it comes up with another option to sign in and you have to tell it your playing offline again. There's an option to have it not ask you again but it forgets that when you restart..

Overall you get the feeling it was going to be a downloadable snack and they've tried to pad it out.
    I like to think I'm a CAN DO kind of guy...
    And the number of cans I can normally do is 12.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    Got Motorstorm Apocalypse as part of the E3 plus freebies, I'm tempted to spend a bit of time on it but the cars seems to have little traction and its a bit of a bounce about fest.

motorstorm apocalypse is really quite an awesome game, im prefering it to pacific rift now.
    wouldn't have got it if it weren't free either after the shit demo.

theres around 8 of us and a few unconfirmed for next weekend at giving it a go online.
    (all ex from here or oldrum/blurum zoom, random dave, steevo, etc)
    organised via twitter rather than here as most hate this place (or its residents).

also gt5, gti club, outrun c2c.
    theres loads really but there what i like playing.

(also on motorstorm theres lots of vehicles to play as and they all handle diferently so theres lots of variety, also lots of variety in the courses as they get destroyed by twisters, earthquakes and other natural disasters as well as harriers and other stuff.) really enjoying it now.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Midnight Club was fun with friends. Webbo is the flag capture master. When people have a few more cars it can only get better. Its a fun as I remember, and I'm enjoying mopping up all the SP stuff I'd neglected. 

The city is just glorious.
  • daviedigi wrote:
    Got Motorstorm Apocalypse as part of the E3 plus freebies, I'm tempted to spend a bit of time on it but the cars seems to have little traction and its a bit of a bounce about fest.

motorstorm apocalypse is really quite an awesome game, im prefering it to pacific rift now.
    wouldn't have got it if it weren't free either after the shit demo.

theres around 8 of us and a few unconfirmed for next weekend at giving it a go online.
    (all ex from here or oldrum/blurum zoom, random dave, steevo, etc)
    organised via twitter rather than here as most hate this place (or its residents).

also gt5, gti club, outrun c2c.
    theres loads really but there what i like playing.

(also on motorstorm theres lots of vehicles to play as and they all handle diferently so theres lots of variety, also lots of variety in the courses as they get destroyed by twisters, earthquakes and other natural disasters as well as harriers and other stuff.) really enjoying it now.
    let me know when, I'll try to jump on.
    Guys can add me to twitter if they want. R1cksim :D

Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • FranticPea wrote:
    Midnight Club was fun with friends. Webbo is the flag capture master. When people have a few more cars it can only get better. Its a fun as I remember, and I'm enjoying mopping up all the SP stuff I'd neglected. 

The city is just glorious.

You have to admire the ambition, open world, seamless sp to mp and back, dynamic light and weather, modding, soundtrack, race editor, etc. Nice level of detail in the environment and the customisation, just spent 15 minutes painting my Scirocco and slapping some rims on it whilst agonising over the instrument colour to best offset my opal interior.

Somewhere along the way this gen, this sense of adventure has been lost, most likely to do with declining sales, and we are left with the bland regurgitation of well worn game types (see Bob's DIRT review as a prime example).
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Nail on the head. 

The plus side is that titles that were woefully neglected are getting the dust blown off them, and they cost bugger all. Blur being a prime example. 

See you all on RR:U in a year.
  • Enjoyed that, they've certainly thrown everything into the mix. User created tracks are a good addition as well, I might spend some time looking at that myself.

On the negative side, Rockstar's obsession with minimal menus that you access in game instead of a start screen means that the menus are a bit shit. I'd like to be able to change much more on the fly, having to start a new lobby to change the weather, car class and time of day is a real pain. Using your career garage on-line still isn't as smart as it sounds either.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I_R wrote:
    User created tracks are a good addition as well, I might spend some time looking at that myself.
    I might have to visit that this weekend also...
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I mentioned about everything being free for me to buy. Iain was right. When you get so far you can pay $1000000 to get a share in the garage. Then all cars and mods become free. 

The track editor is pretty neat. I seem to remember I just drove round plopping checkpoints down, then went into the map editor and fine tuned it.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Just had a great hour or so on Midnight Club. Just grabbing Muscle wins to lure the champ out. It really doesn't take long to get back into this. First few races I was bouncing off every civilian car in my path. Now I'm back to hair raising near misses every few seconds and occasionally muttering 'phew' at the end of a race. 

The Saleen muscle car is rapid. Turns like a slug but melts your retinas.
  • Beefed up my Scirocco some more but haven't won or got to the stage where I can buy cars. I've been offered a race to win a '69 Camaro but it's a little beyond my veedub's capabilities.

Police pursuits are a bit of a chore, I can often lose them to the point of them calling the chase off but they always seem to engage ESP before I can get clear.
  • SBK X is a rather good and now rather cheap bikey racer. If you don't believe me, check out the metacritic http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/sbk-x-superbike-world-championship a respectable 74%

Also I'm enjoying WRC 2, I didn't play the WRC game prior to that so I can't comment on the similarities, but It's great fun, well worth buying if you see it under £10.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Webbins wrote:
    Beefed up my Scirocco some more but haven't won or got to the stage where I can buy cars. I've been offered a race to win a '69 Camaro but it's a little beyond my veedub's capabilities. Police pursuits are a bit of a chore, I can often lose them to the point of them calling the chase off but they always seem to engage ESP before I can get clear.

I do love it when, halfway through a particularly close race, the police appear and ramp up the stress levels. The radio chatter is great as well. 

Won't be long until you've unlocked more cars. 

Ive won 40 races in my muscle car so far and still no sign of the champ.  Guess I just need to keep going.
  • Is no-one playing the GT Academy 2012?

Only 9 days left before it closes and I've got three more golds to get but have my doubts about getting the very last one.

A mate has leant me a DFGT which is nice although I'm quite a lot slower compared to using a pad.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    FranticPea wrote:
    I say yay to both. I actually never got the island expansion for Paradise. Worth it?

Dude

• Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    @I_R: Can you check for me and see if Midnight Club is showing in your collection on Social Club? Cheers bud...
  • Yeah, my stats are there.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    It's not showing that I've played it?
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Midnight Cub servers not available?

This game is doing nothing to help me like it...
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    http://www.joystiq.com/2012/06/23/need-for-speed-now-officially-criterions-baby/

It's OK, I never wanted to play another Burnout game anyway. Sniff.
  • They'd still release stuff under the Burnout name though, right? It's a strong brand
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Need for Speed:Burnout.
  • I get the idea that the Criterion NFS games are what Burnout would have evolved into anyway. I do miss crash junctions, but they don't seem to be compatible with licensed cars and the lack of them looks suicidal now.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    Had a quick go on Hot Pursuit, there doesn't appear to be an option for manual gears which is hugely disappointing, I'll get used to it, no doubt, looks great apart from that.
  • Manual gears < the earth ... the solar system ... the milky way ... the universe > the point of Hot Pursuit.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!