The 1700 Year War
‹ Previous12
  • Came across this neat article on RPS which basically links to a post on Reddit about a guy who has been playing the same save file on Civilization II for ten years.

Lycerius wrote:
    I've been playing the same game of Civ II for 10 years. Though long outdated, I grew fascinated with this particular game because by the time Civ III was released, I was already well into the distant future. I then thought that it might be interesting to see just how far into the future I could get and see what the ramifications would be. Naturally I play other games and have a life, but I often return to this game when I'm not doing anything and carry on. The results are as follows.

The world is a hellish nightmare of suffering and devastation.

There are 3 remaining super nations in the year 3991 A.D, each competing for the scant resources left on the planet after dozens of nuclear wars have rendered vast swaths of the world uninhabitable wastelands.

-The ice caps have melted over 20 times (somehow) due primarily to the many nuclear wars. As a result, every inch of land in the world that isn't a mountain is inundated swamp land, useless to farming. Most of which is irradiated anyway.

-As a result, big cities are a thing of the distant past. Roughly 90% of the worlds population (at it's peak 2000 years ago) has died either from nuclear annihilation or famine caused by the global warming that has left absolutely zero arable land to farm. Engineers (late game worker units) are always busy continuously building roads so that new armies can reach the front lines. Roads that are destroyed the very next turn when the enemy goes. So there isn't any time to clear swamps or clean up the nuclear fallout.

-Only 3 super massive nations are left. The Celts (me), The Vikings, And the Americans. Between the three of us, we have conquered all the other nations that have ever existed and assimilated them into our respective empires.

-You've heard of the 100 year war? Try the 1700 year war. The three remaining nations have been locked in an eternal death struggle for almost 2000 years. Peace seems to be impossible. Every time a cease fire is signed, the Vikings will surprise attack me or the Americans the very next turn, often with nuclear weapons. Even when the U.N forces a peace treaty. So I can only assume that peace will come only when they're wiped out. It is this that perpetuates the war ad infinitum. Have any of you old Civ II players out there ever had this problem in the post-late game?

-Because of SDI, ICBMS are usually only used against armies outside of cities. Instead, cities are constantly attacked by spies who plant nuclear devices which then detonate (something I greatly miss from later civ games). Usually the down side to this is that every nation in the world declares war on you. But this is already the case so its no longer a deterrent to anyone. My self included.

-The only governments left are two theocracies and myself, a communist state. I wanted to stay a democracy, but the Senate would always over-rule me when I wanted to declare war before the Vikings did. This would delay my attack and render my turn and often my plans useless. And of course the Vikings would then break the cease fire like clockwork the very next turn. Something I also miss in later civ games is a little internal politics. Anyway, I was forced to do away with democracy roughly a thousand years ago because it was endangering my empire. But of course the people hate me now and every few years since then, there are massive guerrilla (late game barbarians) uprisings in the heart of my empire that I have to deal with which saps resources from the war effort.

-The military stalemate is air tight. The post-late game in civ II is perfectly balanced because all remaining nations already have all the technologies so there is no advantage. And there are so many units at once on the map that you could lose 20 tank units and not have your lines dented because you have a constant stream moving to the front. This also means that cities are not only tiny towns full of starving people, but that you can never improve the city. "So you want a granary so you can eat? Sorry; I have to build another tank instead. Maybe next time."

-My goal for the next few years is to try and end the war and thus use the engineers to clear swamps and fallout so that farming may resume. I want to rebuild the world. But I'm not sure how. If any of you old Civ II players have any advice, I'm listening.

It has evolved into a new thread on Reddit as the poster is going to upload his save file to let users try and solve the eternal war.

I know most of you don't play Civ, but I think this is just an interesting thing in its own right and the game was surely never designed for this to happen.
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Never played Civ, but that's pretty amazing.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    Civ 2 = Best Version Ever.
  • That's wonderful.

I loved Civ 2, though couldn't get into 3. Haven't been back since.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I love this kind of stuff.

Not related but one of my favourite gaming related reads has to be the dude who conned loads of folk in EVE...
  • I'm currently playing Civ 5. His post points out some stuff that is lacking but as a total strategy nub (used to play them lots as a kid but i'm currently shit at them) the ability to play it on super quick speed is a nice thing, it means I can actually learn shit for when I go back to my slower game (which I will)

Also, Tigro, I sent you a request on Chess. I REQUIRE YOUR TUTELAGE.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Also, Tigro, I sent you a request on Chess. I REQUIRE YOUR TUTELAGE.
    Hmm, it's not showing up on my iPod. Did you send the request via Facebook?
  • I did, yes.

Moto70 wrote:
    I love this kind of stuff.

Not related but one of my favourite gaming related reads has to be the dude who conned loads of folk in EVE...

Ah, yes. That was linked in the Sunday Morning thread. I do love that. There was recently an attack on the main trading hub in EVE and the Something Awful Goonsquad held the gameworld to practical ransom.

Essentially it boiled down to the makers introducing new elements into the game that made a specific resource set incredibly valueable. The Goon Squad amassed lots of this and then attacked the trade hub destroying hundreds of ships in the progress, ships that were delivering those materials to stockpiles for other Corporations in the game.

In the aftermath, The Goon Squad were one of the few Corps left with mountains of those resources and caused massive inflation in the cost of these integeral materials for game progression. Devious and brilliant.

• Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Moto70 wrote:

Yup, that was fucking amaze :D
  • EVE is a constant source of brilliance, my favourite (outside of the awesome Trade Hub Seige) was the Goon Squad destroying one of the most expensive battleships in game by simply hurling hundreds of weak ships at it.

Theories suggested the ship was worth around three months worth of game subscriptions. Genius bunch of cunts that lot.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I love how the developers embraced it though, rather than throwing a hissy fit. Its possible in world, they let it happen. Kudos to 'em, not that I'd ever play it.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I have a soft spot for Civ II, as it was my first version. Kinda tempted to install it again now.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    He didn't mention the startegic situation but wouldn't the easiest way to end the war be wiping the Vikings and Americans out?
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    He can't because he can't produce units quickly enough.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Then he needs to produce them harder.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I gave up consoles for a good portion of the nineties and Civ II was pretty much all I played.  Must have spent thousands of hours on it.  It's a great game, and that's a great story.
    Get schwifty.
  • I've got CIV REV on the DS and i was told its the same as Civ 2? Or very similar. I loved it, perfect portable game. I got all gold medals on all difficulties with all nations.

My favourite part of CIV is the initial race, where the battles are tense because there is no visible advantages (usually hidden tech's). Or when you stumble upon some nation that has been chilling by itself on an island and has managed to evolve rapidly!

Racing for the tech is the way to win, I find it easiest by going with the english, expanding 2-3 cities to start and then gain the special people (what are they called again?) to further tech race and grow.

I miss it. hint 3ds hint
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Nice one Tempy, enjoyed that. Ta :)
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Civ Rev is shit.
    Get schwifty.
  • Civ Rev is basically Civ Lite from what I recall.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    Civ Rev is shit.

why? I really liked it.

oh hang on, just so you know, civ rev DS is nothing like the 360 one...
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Reviews at the time suggested it was much closer to the console CivRevs than the PC Civs which are just micromanage heaven (although V has sorted a lot of that out)
  • there is the option to micromanage but agreed, it wasn't ultimately that necessary to win. Albeit helped. Now I want to play civ rev.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    Raiziel wrote:
    Civ Rev is shit.
    why? I really liked it. oh hang on, just so you know, civ rev DS is nothing like the 360 one...

It's basically My First Civ, I guess it may be ok for you, but for those used to playing the full fat PC games I can't imagine Civ Rev would be satisfying for anyone.
    Get schwifty.
  • Have you played Civ V Raz? Expansion is out this month and it looks to add Religion and Subterfuge back in. I think it walks the line between beeing fullfat and simple enough to play for a new starter. You can automate your workers for one, which is really, really helpful.

• I played civ 1 on the amiga and 2 on pc? 2 seemed very similar to this on the 3ds. I didn't get into 3/4/5 or whatever though, they look alot deeper.
  • I have civ 2 on this laptop. :D :D
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    @ Temps

I haven't.  If I was still gaming on a PC then I definitely would be.  That's why it smarts that the only version of Civ available for tablets has been gutted of any real complexity.
    Get schwifty.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    The only Civ game i've ever played was Call to Power. Which no one ever talks about so i'm guessing it's accepted to be shit.

I just turned cheats on most of the time and made an alien baby in whatever BC.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    WHERE IS MY CIVILIZATION BOXSET?!
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!