Misogyny and other gender issues.
  • Fentonizer wrote:
    But do you not think, Roujin, that just by saying "Boys will be boys" is a bit of a cop-out answer?

Shouldn't we instead be looking at why people make, buy and enjoy these games? Looking at society's bias towards games where women are never portrayed as more than objects to be saved with a guaranteed reward of affection/sex.

And I will not accept the answer “it’s what sells games.” That is a fallacy. Of course in a society that doesn’t question these values, and in fact promotes them, these games are going to rise to the top.

I'm saying that not every game ever made is about ridiculous charicatures of men rescuing ridiculous charicatures of women. Im not saying that all games are tits and ass because they aren't.

What i am saying is that i can understand how a lot if these games obtain their 'flavour' because most of the time its teams of men making all the design decisions.

I don't approve of it, I already pointed out it was fairly juvenile, but as others have said, this is a juvenile medium, although perhaps literature and film aren't all that different, just look at the summer 'blockbuster' flicks, invariably all action films about ridiculous men with token hawt female roles scattered liberally about. They get up to some ridiculous antics and lots of people get shot or things blow up.

People are talking as though all games portray women as being sex objects or requiring saving with the promise of getting your end away. I say they are full of shit. Those games exist, but jesus fuck they are not the majority. Unless we are not including all sports, racing, simulation, puzzle, platforming, or sandbox games like Minecraft and similar ilk.

Diet coke adverts anyone?
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • How has this thread degenerated into talking about male videogame characters?

Literally the exact opposite of what I wanted and satirized it in the OP to boot.
  • Brooks is a misogynist.
    XBL: DJ Rick Joyce
    PSN: P-BAP
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Because men rule.
  • AND EQUALITY DROOLS!
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I've been watching Two Best Friend's Play after spotting you viewing it. Its spiffing stoner fun.
  • Because the depictions of most male game characters is as ridiculous as female characters.

Some people argued that its not just the women that are being misrepresented. While we were on the subject of misrepresentation.

It degenerated into male focus because obv we do not regard the discussion of wiminz game character rights as important, because we are all male chauvinist pigs.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Roujin , I think our measures of equality differ slightly.

There is a test for films (the name escapes me) that I'd like to try on video games.

1. Does the game contain more than one woman character?
    2. If so, do they ever share screen time?
    3. If so, are they ever not talking about a man?

I think you'll be shocked how many films fail this (not that its some universal measure of equality, of course). It highlights massive male bias in entertainment.

I disagree with your comments that are basically "That's just how it is and its mostly fine anyway."
  • There wasn't much else to talk about after we all agreed that women in games get treated like shite, so...
  • Like, the only proactive punter-side measure is to not give the relevant offenders any money. If you're already on that, what else ya gon' do
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    How many hermaphrodites are there in games?
  • Earthworm Jim.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • The Time Crisis guys are hermaphrodites.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    A potent sexually aligned faction indeed.
  • All my created characters are hermaphrodites except Dark Souls guy who I suspect isn't human.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    In regards to being bored of the brawny space marine types, for me it stems further than that. I just want to play characters I haven't before.

Maybe a drunken granny wandering home to her hardly heated london council flat one evening gets sucked into a fantasy world through a snow blizzard. Something along those lines.
  • The bird from Nier is supposed to be a hermy.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    More normal people in fantastical situations. Yes. That's it.
  • She looks like your standard T&A though
  • What about a fantasy world that gets sucked into a granny and when she opens her handbag in bingo Ronald Regan steps out of it.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    If the world map includes different zooming out camera shots of the granny's orifices I don't see why not.
  • Anya Stroud was a femme that didn't essentially suck. Gears armour worked a treat there.

Isn't the arguement that says "but all men are stereotyped in games too" redundant because they are for the most part represented better? Nate is charming, handsome, adventurous etc, Ryu is wise, strong, skilled and all that. Yeah, plenty of female character's attributes align with those to a point and then they are suddenly bookended with "also she shoves her arse out in her skintight lycra cat suit" and "her breasts are barely covered and she bends over a lot". When does Nate wear an shirt with a low neckline? When do we see Ryu's arse? In Heavy Rain, the female character is the only one modled naked.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Kojima must have been fighting the good fight when he told Konami execs what he was going to end up doing with Raiden at the end of MGS 2.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Not going to get decent female characters until females are in charge of making games.
  • Isn't the arguement that says "but all men are stereotyped in games too" redundant because they are for the most part represented better?

It's redundant because a lot of men dig on that shit, and its purpose is not stereotyping that appeals to women. False equivalency arguments are the fuck.
    I'm a Sasquatch man and I'm watching you.
  • Uncharted has done well with women, also thought Red Dead Redemption was very good. Bioshock 2 also.
  • That's the explanation I was grasping for. I am feeling ropey from last night. Also I talked about Ryu's buttcheeks so I win. GO WIN ME.
  • His buttcheeks are rivals with Ken's buttcheeks.
  • Shor-glutean!
  • Ahahaha

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!