Welcome to fat fighters.. 2020 .. Double Digits..
‹ Previous1234567124
  • A discussion around the joys of maybe trying to lose that pound or two to make that midrift go. so what are your top tips or plans to keep trim?

Also your exercise tips would be appreciated.

Feel free to use this as the old thread Google started setting as he has gone.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • It's the snacos that get me.
    A cupboard of temptation becomes an empty cupboard very quickly.
    I'm 5 11. And about 15 .6stone.
    It's not the best combination.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • This is a new game? I'm sure I've been playing it for a while.

About to get outta bed and weigh myself. Hopefully I've list a little bit. Been skipping cereal breakfast on weekdays as it seems to be useless calories I can avoid, cut back on the morning Red Bull, and trying to keep away from choc and crisps snacks. Got seeds and stuff to snack. 

Also started going gym again but sprained my wrist by overdoing it a few days ago and also pulled muscle in lower back. Didn't warm up or down properly which is my bad habit.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I was over 14 stone around 20 months ago, at 5'9" this really showed. The tipping point came when playing an 11-a-side, which was a regular occasion as an 18 year old, the mind was willing but the body wasn't. I downloaded the LiveStrong app, set my target and restricted calorie intake using the app to record my food. Absolutely minimised my carb intake, which for me has had the biggest impact. The weight began to melt away even with little exercise save for a walk here and there. I was consuming between 1400 to 1600 calories a weekday, no booze, allowing the drink at a weekend only. I got down to just under 12 stone and was able to get back into the jeans I last wore in my very early twenties. No more heartburn, no back ache, no snoring (although I have also addressed a nasal problem, but weight loss hasn't hurt). I'm still disciplining myself weekdays, but the weekends are very relaxed, as a consequence the weight has crept up to 12 stone 6, although this has held for a few months now. Still have a belly I'd rather shift but I'm at the stage now where I think only exercise will work.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • I've kinda minimised my carb intake to the recommended amount, e.g. 1/3 of the plate. Occasional salads without carbs at work. Anything less and I wouldn't have any energy to do anything!
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I can tell you loads of things to do to lose weight, I just don't follow them myself!

I'm way overweight, planning a new regime on Monday.

Weight training/resistance workouts in the morning followed by a run/walk in the evening. Double workout times in a day obviously keeps the metabolism going. 

Food wise me and the missus typically have the following:

Breakfast either Yoghurt and almonds or turkey bacon and eggs

Lunch either a salmon salad, healthy home made soup or home made frittata. 

Dinner either steak and salad, healthy home made chicken curry or thai prawn curry

Snacks - my GF makes some excellent healthy muffins with nuts, oats and cinnamon. 

When I was following this in the summer I lost about a stone in a month.
  • So far today I've had 3 mince pies, some left over chilli and rice from last night and a turkey sandwich.

And yes, I'm fat.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    I've kinda minimised my carb intake to the recommended amount, e.g. 1/3 of the plate. Occasional salads without carbs at work. Anything less and I wouldn't have any energy to do anything!

Having a desk job I found carbs would only increase my lethargy and I really don't like the stodgy bloat they give me. The weekend is a good time for me to catch up though, Sunday roast potatoes are go!
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Been skipping cereal breakfast on weekdays as it seems to be useless calories I can avoid, cut back on the morning Red Bull, and trying to keep away from choc and crisps snacks. Got seeds and stuff to snack.

I'm told that cutting out breakfast doesn't help and can actually make things worse 'cause you're hungrier at lunch and your metabolism takes longer to get started. Cutting out the morning red bull all together would be a massive help, have an espresso or something if you need the caffeine. Keep a glass of water handy for when you feel like snacking, often your body interprets slight thirst as hunger.
  • Generally people who are overweight (myself included) don't eat because they're hungry as such. It's more to do with habit and enjoyment. I'm rarely hungry. It's more about waiting to free up some space before my next feed.

I've actually started jogging again recently. It's almost like I've convinced myself that because I'm doing regular exercise again I can eat more than usual and I swear I've put on some weight since I started.

*eats another mince pie*
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • A typical weekday for me is:

Breakfast - 50 gms porridge oats and sultanas with a low fat yoghurt poured over. Coffee with milk when getting up, a green tea when I have brekkie at work.

Lunch - Crispbreads, topped with light spread and either tuna mayo, sliced ham or beef, or half a pot of fresh soup and a few crispbreads, green tea.

Afternoon snack - Earl Gray tea, no milk, Go Ahead fruit slice.

Tea - Fish or chicken, plenny of fresh veg.

Evening snack - two to three teas with milk, two biscuits.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    The yoghurt at breakfast is a good move, much better than a load of sugary cereal. 

As for feeling tired on low carbs it's actually your bold sugar levels adjusting, kinda like getting headaches when you reduce your caffeine in take. I guarantee you'll feel much better after a week or so.
  • AJ wrote:
    I'm told that cutting out breakfast doesn't help and can actually make things worse 'cause you're hungrier at lunch and your metabolism takes longer to get started. Cutting out the morning red bull all together would be a massive help, have an espresso or something if you need the caffeine. Keep a glass of water handy for when you feel like snacking, often your body interprets slight thirst as hunger.

That's interesting. I actually don't get very hungry if I skip brek. Have been having lunch later and then some fruit before I leave work. Whereas if I have something after I get up, I get hungry quicker, eat the lunch early then get so hungry by 4pm or so I end up having more, like a slim Pret sandwich. Oh. And yes I always have water handy. Apart from what you've mentioned, which I wasn't aware of, I need to keep up drinking water; if I don't try and make it a habit or force myself, I end up having just 2 glasses or do a day (like on weekends) which I am told is far too little to stay properly hydrated. 

I could always just have something tiny in morning like a glass of milk and a couple of dates (I love that combo).
  • AJ wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Been skipping cereal breakfast on weekdays as it seems to be useless calories I can avoid, cut back on the morning Red Bull, and trying to keep away from choc and crisps snacks. Got seeds and stuff to snack.

I think there is a train of thought regarding your body entering starvation mode, where it retains fats if you don't break at least 1200 calories a day. Breakfast should kickstart your metabolism, even if it's a glass of grapefruit juice or a slice of lemon in hot water as this is a real kick up the bum to your system. You should be having something reasonably substantial though, lunch is a long old haul otherwise and breakfast is essential for maintaining concentration levels.
  • Everyone's aware how bad fruit juice is in more than small quantities, right?

And how a lot of those ones in supermarkets that say "juice drink" have a shit load of sugar added?
  • Yes. I have just a glass of freshly squeezed OJ at least every other day.
  • There was an article on the beeb last week aboit how bad most smoothies are for you. May as well have a coke and a multi vitamin.
  • Eat less. Exercise more. Pro tip lads.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I wish some of the supermarkets did decent salads in their lunch ranges. I end up with a sandwhich most days because I want some flavour.
    Doesnt need epic amounts of dressing, some balsamic or even just some lemon juice with some herbs in would do.

As it is I end up buying a bag of salad, some chicken pieces and have balsamic in my work drawer. Its still limiting though
  • There was an article on the beeb last week aboit how bad most smoothies are for you. May as well have a coke and a multi vitamin.

Why is that then? The Innocent smoothies claim to be nothing but natural ingredients. That's similar to bags of refined sugar mixed with acid and some veggie extracts, is it?

Someone once told me that there are lower limits to certain ingredients below which you don't have to list them. So freshly squeezed OJ allegedly does have refined sugar added but below the limit so it's not listed as an ingredient. Allegedly. The guy who mentioned it to me is/was a Wikileaks fan/addict and is into all this hidden and conspiracy shit so it is probably bollocks.
  • mk64 wrote:
    Eat less. Exercise more. Pro tip lads.

Proer tip: not just less, but watch what you're eating.
  • It is because when blending fruit it loses all it's fiborous qualities that the digestive system gains from.
    Links to potential rectal cancer because of this (your ass needs to work basically) also very strong links to type 2 diabetes.

The advice seemed to be to treat smoothies as a treat and strictly not a replacement for eating whole fruits.

On my phone but the article was called something like "Is coffee better than a smoothie?"
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Coffee, well caffeine, does have benefits pre workout to help further boost your metabolism to burn more energy.

Milk is also now considered pretty bad for most people.

A lot of stuff is coming to light that the teachings of health in the past are built on simplistic understandings of how the body processes food. For example, all fat was lumped together as bad, but we obviously now know that some fats are good for you, even some saturated fats in meat have positive benefits to your body.
  • Right Imma go for no midweek drinks until the xmas break,
    salads for lunch (perhaps with some carb but not as the main attraction)
    and eating something before leaving the house that isnt pure shit.

Little steps.
  • Smoothies are also absolutely chocka with sugars, they're basically like fruit juice++
  • The danger is in how quick you can get that sugar into you. It would take me about 15 minutes to eat what is in an innocent smoothie but I could neck one of those bottles.
  • The advice seemed to be to treat smoothies as a treat and strictly not a replacement for eating whole fruits.

Fucking fuck fuck. Link please when you get the chance. I'm big on smoothies (OJ too) to try and supplement for 5 a day. Apart from bananas, I really struggle wanting or trying whole fruits. Most non-peeling fruits give me itchy mouth probably from pesticides and shit; washing them doesn't seem to help. Satsumas are hit and miss on taste.

I don't tend to have a glass a day, maybe every other day, if that. Try and mix in some of that superfood mix that has chia seeds and goji berries and shit.
  • It would take me about 15 minutes to eat what is in an innocent smoothie but I could neck one of those bottles.

I have done so with the banana and coconut one. It's like liquid crack or some shit, in both ways.
  • Exactly, it's my favourite! In fact, I think there's some left in the fridge...

Wife's gone to Tesco. Might tell her not to get so much OJ and smoothies. A glass of one or the other every other day should probably be ok in order to start cutting down on the sugars I guess. More water from now on.
  • I think there's a lot of natural sugar in fruit so too much will not be good, blended or otherwise. Bananas especially are quite calorific, I've never been mad about fruit anyway, veg is the winner for me. Cannot resist a bit of raw broccoli, carrot or cabbage when I'm prepping tea.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Drinking two litres of water a day (thanks to my meds I near enough have to) has been a revelation.
‹ Previous1234567124

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!