Spelunky!
‹ Previous123456732
  • 7QIPa39.jpg

Do many people play the Spelunky?

I've got the PS3 version and the furthest I've ever got IS: level 3.4 (once).

Has anyone here got further?

Does anyone have the PC version and want to compete on Daily Challenges?!

If people have the PC one I'd be well ups for getting it and seeing how other people DO!

(one of my favourite games this GEN!)

SPELUNKY FRIENDS LIST FOR DAILY CHALLENGE COMPETITIVENESS (EMBARRASSMENT):

STEAM
    jdanielp

PSN
    mistercrayon
    Birdorf
    daviedigi
    SilentMcBob

XBOXLIVE
    jdanielp
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    I bought the 360 version a couple of months back, loved it.  Managed it the hard way once or twice too, gets seriously tense at the end of a 40 minute run.
    I stopped playing because I found the randomisation to be at odds with score-chasing (not that I'm suggesting that high-scores are the only "metagame" goal, just that it's usually mine).  Also high-score runs end up being much longer so it's quite disheartening when you mess up.

Those first few hours are fantastic though, when something you've never seen before pops up in every other run.  Also the most fun I've had in co-op for ages, once we'd stopped accidentally killing each other and started piecing the mysteries together...
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    I bought the 360 on release. Played it once maybe, sighed, then other games prevailed.

Then i bought the Vita version. I play that at least twice a week for my sadomasochistic fix. It frustrates the fuck outta me. But i'm slowly making headway.

I do find the randomisation a little bit too "convenient" on fucking you up. But, the flip-side is you can get a perfect run of x-1 to x-4 with no trouble whatsoever. Maybe i'm a sour puss?

As far as actually 'completing' the game (i.e. start to finish no deaths/restarts), you can go fuck yourself! lol!

If you're a sucker for punishment, you need to check out the PC indie darling, 'Volgaar The Viking'. Great game!
  • I LOVE this game. It's consuming me on a similar level to Trials HD.

So far my best is 4-3 with $195000. Finding that I need to kill the shopkeepers otherwise I get sloppy without the shotgun. Loads of fun running through the Black Market while they're all having a nice freak out. 

Need more practice on the Temple, those bloody sliding blocks are a nightmare
    PSN: Shinji-_-Ikari
    Twitter: @YouDidItAll4Me
  • I played some tonight and barely got past level 2.2 LAME.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    It sounds intriguing.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    You'd love it!
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Tenner? I get paid next week and was thinking of grabbing a game, its this or that pool effort. Will grab the demos if there are some.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    I'm so bad at this game, but can't stop playing. Never got to the temple yet, I'm on Steam as mannaboy if you want to gloat over my pathetic daily challenges.
    Things can only get better.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    It's £9.99, yes.  I didn't really like it after playing the trial game on release, SMB-style controls felt weird when you need to be slow and cautious.  Of course, as you play more, you get much much faster at assessing situations so you can sprint more, stopping to look ahead every so often.

I put it on just now, finished it first time *puts on sunglasses*.  Quite lucky that the only dark level was the black market and I didn't get any wet fur levels.  And that a shop in the mines had a shotgun for stealing.  Rubbish time and score but woteva.  Best is $834,425, best time is 7:12:455.  Killingsworth is over a million :O
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I'ma smash your score Dubs, so you can go on to beat it 20 minutes later. Trials all over again yo! :D
  • I played it for a while when I first got it. In the end I thought it was just a bit too punishing and not quite rewarding enough for this sort of game. I got to 4-4 a few times.
  • Got into the City of Gold for the first time this morning.

Was looking so comfortable. 6 health, all the items, shotgun in hand, jetpack on. Bloody sliding block. I got cocky
  • What is this game, sounds good.
  • Its a platforming/adventure game where each level is randomly generated.

Its got this whole Indiana Jones going into a temple vibe and because each level is random you feel like each time you are exploring caves (the way that should feel).

Its tough as nails (for me) but some people are amazing at it.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    @ Dubs - Download Volgarr The Viking for your PC. Thank me later!
  • The more I play it the more I come to think that this game is perfect. There is nothing wrong it.

Had a good run this morning. Starting to get a grasp of the ghost running thing. Just keep making silly mistakes
  • I do the daily challenge on PC fairly regularly. I'm rubbish though. Never got past world 2.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Am looking forward to the Daily coming to PS versions
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Is that happening?  Would definitely pick up the PS3 version if so.

@Curtis:  My laptop is utter shite so it probably wouldn't run that viking game, it can just about manage Super Hexagon.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Free on PS+ is what I'm waiting for.  Seems a fairly likely candidate I'd say...
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Dubs wrote:
    Is that happening?  Would definitely pick up the PS3 version if so. @Curtis:  My laptop is utter shite so it probably wouldn't run that viking game, it can just about manage Super Hexagon.

You'll be okay. It's proper 16-bit graphics. lol!
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Free on PS+ is what I'm waiting for.  Seems a fairly likely candidate I'd say...
    This. Even more so after playing the Trial last night. Played enough Rick Dangerous back in the day!
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • This was a major reason why I bought a Vita.

(Nothing else to play on it :-) )

• I bought it, I got to mine 1-3. Not really sure what I'm aiming for, collecting money, exploring or just getting to the end.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Exploring would be nice without the big ghost coming to take all your lifeforce or make you plunge on spikes whilst trying to evade him.
    Things can only get better.
  • n0face wrote:
    I bought it, I got to mine 1-3. Not really sure what I'm aiming for, collecting money, exploring or just getting to the end.

It feels to me, that exploring is just a way to die. Having said that there's beating the game and all sorts of secret gobbets in the game which are worth trying out. On the PSN they have two leaderboards: money and finishing fast. i will be happy to: finish just once.
  • Spoilers in this:

• I've made it to the 3rd land once. Still love it though
  • Made it up to 300k today. Getting the hang of ghost running a bit more but tend to only attempt it when I get near a vault or on the ice stages with a jetpack. 

Still not getting much closer to completing the game though, that temple is a disaster. May stock up on bombs and blow my way through the level next time
  • I rarely get past the first world! Any tips?
‹ Previous123456732

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!